Overgrip on a Replacement Grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by McGlee, Jan 6, 2011.

1. McGlee

McGlee New Member

Student
    Hey guys,

So I'm new here, and also fairly new to badminton, which essentially means, that my knowlegde is kinda weak. Anyways, onto my question;

So, I bought an ArcSaber 7 from a private person in Denmark, and I just got the racket today. I had also ordered some Yonex Supergrap in advance, which also arrived today.
    So I wanted to apply my overgrip to the racket, but realized, that the guy whom I bought the racket from, had applied a replacement grip (a very thick one that is, which is why i had mistaken it for an overgrip).

So my question is; since I like a slimmer grip, what should I do in this situation? Should I apply the overgrip on top of the replacement grip? Should I remove the replacement grip, and apply the overgrip straight on the wood? Or is there somewhere you can buy the "original grip" and apply that first?

Im kinda lost.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I used to play with just an overgrip on the wood. The feel was great but it wasn't possible to play with that setup in longer sessions because my hands would become sore. The average overgrip will not offer enough cushioning to be comfortable to most people.

If the replacement grip is causing you some problems, there's a fairly simple solution. If you take it off, you'll be able to find a suitable replacement quite easily. I quite like using the Karakal PU SuperGrip as a replacement grip. I think it was originally intended to be an overgrip but it's thick enough to use as a replacement grip and really tacky. It isn't cheap or easy to find in a lot of countries but the performance makes up for it.

Alternatively, you can buy the original Yonex Arcsaber grip from MyBadmintonStore and a few other retailers; its code is AC124. It's very expensive but if you use an overgrip on top, it should last a long time.

There are loads of other good replacement grips so don't feel that you have to buy the original Arcsaber grip (it is good though).

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    There's no set rule grips.
    I like thin grips too... so I will be removing the thick grip no matter what. Will start off by wrapping just the overgrip, if it becomes too uncomfortable, I'll probably attempt 2 overgrips on wood.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    You can remove the replacement grip and pull it more tight without overlapping and then apply the overgrip. So the grip will be slimmer. I would use one replacement grip instead of two overgrips. It's cheaper. The Karakal Super P.U. is amazing and more durable than an overgrip.