How to avoid injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by gavz7, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gavz7

gavz7 Regular Member

What measurement should we take or what protection should we wear while playing badminton to avoid common injuries like ankle twist, knee/wrist problems or arm muscles?

Also please state if you know which brand is good.

Thanks

2. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    i feel that the best way is to do warm up and warm down properly. do some light stretches for the quads, hamstrings n calves, and shoulder rotation before stroking. and also do the same after the game or in between while you are waiting for your turn to play.

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Warm Up Exercise to Prevent Ankle Injuries
    Injuries are the greatest enemies for all type of sports because it can be life threatening, career threatening and also interest threatening. In this lovely sport we call Badminton, discussing about injuries, no doubt, ankle injuries are the top and commonest injuries followed by knees etc. All Sports Clinics through out the world received staggering numbers of cases of new (occurrence) and repeated (recurrence) case of ankle injuries every month. Having injured my ankle many times both right and left varying from type 1 to type 11/111 teaches me the important of injury prevention, and one of it is to do a ankle warm up exercise before you play. Going through a lot of physio programs, orthopedics consultation and own experienced as both as a coach and player, these are the simple, roughly 30 minutes of systematic ankle warm up exercise that i usually do before i go and play/coach that you also can do which i want to share with you:

Do this first.......

1. ROM exercise (Range of Motion)

a. Clock wise and anti clock wise exercise

Sit down, let your foot hang and make a circle clock wise and anti clock wise. Do it 5 circle with every 3 repetition

b. Dorsiflex (toe towards you @ foot up) and plantarflex (toe away from you @ foot down) exercise

While still sitting down, move your foot up and down. Do it 10 times for every movement with 3 repetition. For the final movement, hold it and count for 15 sec.

c. Inversion exercise ( twisting movement of the foot inward.)

While standing, do this and hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition.

d. Eversion exercise (twisting movement of the foot outward)

While standing, do this and hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition

e. Abduction exercise (movement of the foot away from the center line of the body)

f. Adduction exercise (movement of the foot towards the center line of the body)

..........Very good, now we proceed with this exercise

2. Strength exercise

a. Dorsiflex exercise

Push your foot downwards against a non movable object (wall etc). Hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition

b. Plantarflex exercise

Push your foot upwards against a non movable object ( you can use the forces of your hand against your foot also). Hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition

c. Abduction exercise

Push the lateral/outer side of your foot ( the area align with your small toe) against a non movable object. Hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition

d. Adduction exercise

Push the medial/inner side of your foot ( the area align with your big toe) against a non movable object. Hold for 10 sec. Do 3 repetition

..Excellent.. and the most important and final one....

3. Proprioception Exercise

This most important exercise and the type of exercise that people rarely focus that much. This is a position-movement exercise that will enhance the sensory ability of your brain awareness in regards with your foot positioning. Studies shows that there are strong correlation between by improving individual's proprioception, the of risk of an ankle injuries can dramatically be reduce. The method of this exercise is by doing a single leg balanced exercise. The approach can be different (sometimes in your own creative ways also), but the objective is just the same that is to challenge your proprioception ability. This are what i usually perform:

a. Single leg stand with arms apart and the other leg flex at knee

Do this for 30 sec. or more for both legs

b. Single leg stand with arms around body and the other leg flex at knee

c. Single leg stand with arms apart , other leg flex at knee and eyes close.

d. Single leg stand with arms around body , other leg flex at knee and eyes close.

................. Magnificent. If you want to supercharge your proprioception ability more than do this this challenge....

e. Single leg stand with the other leg flex, take your badminton racket than do a forehand stroke movement (10 strokes), forehand lift movement (10 strokes) and left hand lift movement (10 strokes)

f. Single leg stand while the other leg in full swing, take your badminton racket than do a forehand stroke movement (10 strokes), forehand lift movement (10 strokes) and left hand lift movement (10 strokes)

Even though prevention of ankle injury involves other important aspect similarly like other type of injuries, locating ample time to do warm up is a must because it can and will make a huge significant impact in preventing ankle injuries. Safety starts from the beginning​

4. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I also think proper training is important to prevent injuries. Wrong hitting technique can also cause injuries. Same goes for foodwork.

5. Tee11

Tee11 Regular Member

I have recently recovered from a severe lower back injury. The reason was mainly due to intense badminton training. I went to see a therapist and because of her professional treatment, I am fine right now.

Anyway I would like to share my experience on how to prevent lower back injuries. I'll just tell my story. I started jump smashing at one point in time and I think i got too 'intensed'. There is no problem engaging in high intensity jump smashing but I made a major mistake by failing to cool down after my badminton session, and that is why I had this lower back injury.

The pain was with me for about 6 months but it was not that severe. Everytime and after i play badminton, I'll feel some slight stress at the lower back area but ignored it.

Until lately a very serious pain came out in a sudden. It was so painful that I couldn't bend down, lift any weights, and sleep straight.

Therapist told me the main reason was because I didnt cool down (do some lower back stretching) after my badminton sessions and the 'used to be' minor injury became a major one.

If you're already feeling some pain at your lower back due to badminton, i suggest you start doing some stretching before and after your badminton session. If you have a partner, friend, or relative, try asking them to massage your lower back.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Put a decent pair of shoes on, tie them! (shoes that can be 'slipped' on and off can lead to injury)
    Do a cardio warm up to get the blood flowing, nothing too intense though.
    Then do some stretches, if you feel discomfort that's fine, pain is bad! Hold the stretches for 10-15s
    Check the courts for wet patches/dirt/ball bearings (yes it has happened)
    If you ever find yourself in pain while playing, then you need to stop.
    Follow these and it should reduce the risk of your injury. But sometimes muscle systems go a bit wrong and you can end up with an injury doing really light exercise.

7. kohminkiat

kohminkiat Regular Member

Badminton
    Totally agreed. Just don't understand y players just don't do warm down.