intercepting training for double?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aphelion-, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Aphelion-

Aphelion- Regular Member

i have been playing double these few day, and i notice that when i am the net man, my intercepting ability really suck.Do anyone have any routie or drills that can improve my intercepting ability?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    i notice that when i am the net man, my intercepting ability really suck

As a coach, I notice the most common error for a player at the net is not holding the racket head higher than net height.

Develop a habit of raising your racket head up when at the forecourt, and you will find a vast improvement in your intercepting ability.
    :):):)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

What chris-ccc said,
    and stay on your toes,
    and also grip up higher to the cone, to get faster response.

4. Aphelion-

Aphelion- Regular Member

thanks for the advie chris and visor, i will try this out and see what i can do

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

2 other things spring to mind:

1: You may be too far forward to get behind the shuttle properly. From your post, I'm presuming that you're refering to doubles and that the shuttle has just been lifted to your partner. I.e. you're expecting a smash and are looking to pounce on any weak returns. In my humble opinion the base for the non-recieving player should be about a racket-length behind the service line. If your partner does a drop, you have time to take a step forward.

2: A useful drill, which can be used during warm-up. Your partner and you stand about a racket-length behind the service line, either side of the net. Tap the shuttle flat to one another. Try and push the shuttle 'through' your partner. If you're really good at it, do with 2 shuttles simultaneously! I have found that this improves reflexes & can also get you in the mood for fast-paced doubles.

Good luck!

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good advice. Don't just 'see'. Just do it. Also have a little of a forward movement getting ready to pounce, brush it or worst case, net it. ;) Lifting would be suicidal. ;)

7. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    'As a coach, I notice the most common error for a player at the net is not holding the racket head higher than net height'.

Sorry but as a coach you should be careful exactly how you impart information:

If you hold the racket too high you are in risk of missing any fast net height drives which will fly past your shoulder and below your 'high' racket;

You should have your racket head just below the tape. Firstly you will be able to see the shuttle coming towards you, and secondly you will be able to drive the shuttle back, or block it, or lift it. There is a common belief that you should stand with your racket in the air above your head. In front (middle) of the body, as central as possible, floating the T!

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Not in this situation.

Your partner is hitting attacking shots from the back of the court (drops, smashes). All defensive shots must travel upwards to pass the net. You therefore want your racket at least slightly above net height.

Yes, it is possible to hold your racket too high. It's also possible to hold it too low -- and below the net tape is too low here.

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

watch a couple of good doubles matches on youtube. watch how they intercept. that way, you'll learn what kind of shots you should/can intercept at the net and what you should leave for your partner. also, anticipation is important. if your partner plays a good smash down the line, you should be anticipating your opponent to return straight (don't commit too early though!)

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I agree with chris, visor and gollum - most common mistakes are positioning (too far forward in this case, or too far to one side) and racket position (holding and/or gripping it too low). Always try to hunt the shuttle - if your partner gets a lift to the left and is in a position to smash, move to the left a bit as a good smash often forces a straight defensive shot. As mentioned, a bit behind the service line should be sufficiently far back - if its not, you might want to spend some time improving arm strength and speed to get quicker racket work.

A drill to improve interception: can be done with 3 or 4 ppl (3 is better). As you want to improve interception, you're obviously going to be standing at the net. Now your partner and the opponent start a fast, flat exchange; your job is to duck when your partner's hitting the shuttle and try to intercept the opponents shots. If you're 4, both front players try to intercept.
    If you're 3 and your opponent's defense is good enough, your partner can smash. Works wonders for the weakest player - improves either defense or interception. You'll want to pick a guy with a solid defense for this, and try to keep the smash moderate to give you a chance to intercept ;) otherwise it's a lot of work for the defending player, picking up shuttle all the time :D

To improve the positioning of the net player, there's another drill which requires 4 players. The basic shot pattern is long-short-short - i.e. long serve=>drop/smash=>short defense=>lift=>drop/smash and so on.
    Now depending on the participants' skill level, you might want to decide to use only drop shots. In any case, start with drops only to get the hang of it, and keep the smashes moderate, as you don't want to improve smashes or defense here. This is about the correct positioning of both players and team work.

Of course, there are exceptions to all mentioned rules (e.g. sometimes it's wise to cover the diagonal), but you should get to that when you have the basics down :D

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    The easiest way is to get a coach to feed you with multi shuttle in the front court,

Just about the area normally you will be trying to intercept in doubles :D

If you are trying to get your buddy to feed you,

Forget it :D

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hehe^^ Try having a coach MAKE your buddy feed you :D Although picking up the shuttles afterwards sucks. Playing drills with a single shuttle is much more enjoyable if you're not a part of a national team where you have tons of shuttles and coaches to feed you properly...

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    With a single shuttle for interception drills, oh mine mine...

Then collect used shuttle, mate and use them for multi shuttle,

I have a few thousands of such shuttles :)

It's fun and my boys and girls love it:D

In no time you will increase your interceptions skills :D

The other thing that is related would be hitting technique, the grip

and when to anticipate such shots coming.

Once you got the rhythm correct, it's easy, if not you will get a lot of shuttles passing you. Lol

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ah well, we hate the multi-shuttle drills, they're usually less helpful, perhaps due to unskilled feeders, but the quality of those shuttles is just disastrous - today, we did a drill which included a long feed, and every single shot had a different length, with many being ridiculously long or short. Also, much time is spent collecting the shuttles, and some drills are completely useless to the skilled players of the training group (including me).

Anyway, playing with one good shuttle is more efficient for the more skilled of us, as there's only little time spent retrieving it after a rally and the shots are much more consistent.
    For simpler drills (like touching the shuttles the coach throws, for improving footwork), multi-shuttle is like 10 times better though, I agree with you =)

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Haha i also don't like to give ms as I can break my bg65 very fast like 5 days :D

Anyway not every session on ms la,

Doing shuttle control with equivalent standard or any other drills is good :D

If improving interception, ms should be a good choice :D