Results of Singapore Pilot Pen Final.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by unregistered, Mar 26, 2003.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

U-17 Singles (boys) - Ng wei pin ( RJC) Beat Edward Yap (Acs i )

U- 17 Doubles (boys) - Wilson & Ng Wei Pin ( RJC ) Beat Edward Yap & Kenneth ( Acs i )

U-17 Singles (Girls) - Vanessa ( rgs) Beat Wei Qi ( Anglican )

U-17 Doubles (Girls) - Yan Min & Kamberly Lau ( DHS) Beat Yan ling & vanessa ( rgs)

2. ljq

ljq Regular Member

Hey,
    why didn't you say the U-14... I went there and see so i'll tell you'll.
    U-14 singles: DEREK WONG ZI-LIANG (MSS) win ALBERTUS TEDDY (MSS)
    U-14 Doubles: DEREK WONG ZI-LIANG / SHAYUT TRIYACHART (MSS) won HONG WEIQIN / ALBERTUS TEDDY (MSS)

I didn't know the score as i kept on watching the match. However, my comment is the the players here could go to U-17 and win all of them. ALBERTUS TEDDY is the Indonesian.SHAYUT TRIYACHART is the thai.

#2 ljq, Mar 26, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  3. ljq

ljq Regular Member

Sorry... my mistake.

U-14 singles: ALBERTUS TEDDY (MSS) win DEREK WONG ZI-LIANG (MSS)

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    What School is MSS (Montford Sec ?). Pity you didn't take down the detailed scores but did the above two boys win convincely? Why are you so impressed with them?
    Did they meet with any stiff opposition along the way?

5. ljq

ljq Regular Member

Well, Montford Sec. School is the best school in badminton. They get lots of good players, especially SBA players. A top player of Montford Junior went to Montford Sec. and was said that he was not good enough to play. And montford junior is a school good in badminton.

A reason why i kept on watching their match was that derek wong is the best player among singaporean and albertus teddy was the best player in indonesia. They both move very fast, much much faster than my seniors in my school. Their speed also surpassed the competitors in U-17.

That's why i was so impressed.

6. unregistered

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Re: nonsense

Maybe you wish to tell us why you don't quite agree with ljq?

8. unregistered

hey

i think acsi and ahs are 1 of the better schs then monfort....... i think the singles match between edward yap ( acs i ) and ng wei pin ( rjc) was more entertaining..... not saying that the u14 was lousy but it was the top match to look out for. If u were there u will see it for urself. the doubles too...... People like.. swee hau,edward,louis tan,wei pin are v good .

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi ljq and UR

First, thanks for getting us interested in the U-14 and U-17 Pilot Pen tournaments. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the competitions and did not attend any of them to get an idea of their standards and who are the star players and the up-and-coming ones. I don't think it was reported widely in the newspapers.

Since both of you are following the schools' badminton scene closely, can you tell us which are the top boys and girls secondary badminton schools in Singapore for U-14 and U-17. For boys, I got the inkling that ACSI, Montford, RI or RJC(?). What happened to Anglican High? Are St Nicholas and RGS doing well for the girls' categories? Who are the top players in the top badminton schools?

Both of you have named some of the top boys. UR, do you think Edward Yap and Ng Wei Pin can beat U-14 Albertus Teddy, Shayut and Derek Wong? Ljq seems to think otherwise.

BTW, has the school badminton season ended and what else can the schools look forward to in the badminton programme ahead?

10. ljq

ljq Regular Member

Well, the badminton scene has not ended yet, for your information. It is still in the pre-rounds of the national.

The top schools are acsi, montford, ahs, mhs. These are not in order.

Unregistered, i would admit that the last match U-17 doubles was more entertaining than the U-14 singles, but i still find the U-14 doubles more interesting. That is my opinion as i am really U-14. Maybe i'm more likely to be impressed by ppl my age group. Pls don't take that to heart.

A new discovery!!! I talked to my friends a few days ago, and i found out the derek wong zi-liang's father and grandfather are wong soon kiat(not sure of spelling) and the lengendary Wong Peng Soon.Amazing.

#10 ljq, Mar 31, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, amazing to discover that Derek Wong is the son of ex-National Men's Singles Champion, Wong Shoon Keat (?). But I did not know that the latter is the son of the legendary Wong Peng Soon. Shoon Keat, in fact, became Singapore's only badminton gold medalist in one Southeast Asian Games when he conquered the then Indonesian champion, Sijuk Sugiarto (?) in the men's singles event, although it was reported at that time that Sijuk was not feeling well.

Ljq, I suppose ahs stands for Anglican High, but what about mhs? And can you name the top badminton schools for the girls. Are there any girls that impressed you?

12. unregistered

yea

for girls the top pair will be yanmin and kimberly lau both from sba which won the u17 from dunman high.

For singles vanessa from rgs also did v well beating ahs, she also played doubles which lost to dunman high. x_x , Ahs , dunman high and rgs are renowned for their girls.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unregistered & ljq

Thanks to both of you for giving us an update on the schools badminton scene. Are both of you in touch with the primary schools too? I understand that Henry Park, under coach Yao Fen, former All-England Ladies' Doubles Champion, is doing well.

BTW, do you think that ACSI will be the champion school for the boys u14 and u17; and RGS for the girls, for the forthcoming Nationals? Is there an individual National Championship for both categories and when and where will it be held?

14. unregistered

erm..

they already played, next is 14th april where its the sch competitions