Forearm Pain when Backhand, what injury is this (HELP)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by andrew16, Jan 12, 2011.

1. andrew16

andrew16 Regular Member

I've pain during backhand shot during badminton, the pain is right on the top of forearm when your hand is straight and palm facing down. What kind of injury is this? is it tennis elbow?

Went to clinic, not very helpful. Went to chinese sinseh, then I've rest for 2 week and started to play again when the pain is gone, i played on 2-3 a week. on the 3 day, I even applied Voltaren and stretch before game to prevent injury. the pain came back.

Last year, I injured my rotator cuff, took me 1 year+ to be 90% healed. Now my forearm has the same problem. Is it the same tendon that causing the pain?

I see saw some forum that people recommended to consume Cissus and glucosamine/MSM, does it help? I bought those tennis elbow support, i'm not sure where should i put the pressure on. Should i put on the spot where it hurts?

Can anyone recommend me what stretching will help on my injury? how long should i stress before a game? All recommendation is high appreciated. Thanks

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

3. visor

visor Regular Member

sounds like tennis elbow, you may want to do a search

can be caused by too tight a grip during backhand or forcing your backhand stroke too much

obviously the cure is to avoid that, and meanwhile you can apply a forearm tensor like this
    formedica-golf-tennis-elbow-brac_1288972269_LRG.jpg

4. andrew16

andrew16 Regular Member

I do have forearm tensor, bought a brand called LP support (tennis elbow support), but it doesn't helped.
    when i backhand stroke, or the ball hitting my racquet without me using force, it is painful as well.

Does anyone knows if I have tennis elbow, the grip should be thinner or thicker?

Anything else that will cause tennis elbow?

I play on last tuesday and thursday without pain on my forearm (after resting for 2 week), then i played on saturday, the pain came back.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

http://www.lp-supports.com/products/tennis_elbow_and_elbow_supports/

can't imagine the strap not being effective

which model did you get? as long as it's 701 and not 702, then you should be fine

make sure it's on tight enough with the adjustable velcro strap

what's your grip size g4 or g5? try going smaller, ie. use a thinner overgrip

finally, if you want to permanently cure this problem, you have to correct your backhand stroke. it should be more whip like, more fluid and effortless. look up taufik hidayat backhand on youtube and you'll see what i mean

6. andrew16

andrew16 Regular Member

I bought 751, with Extra triangle pressure. Do i wear this where my area hurts?
    I've tried to pull it tight, but it hurts until I can't even backhand. not very useful, even apply with emulgel.

my grip size is G4, will try to use thinner overgrip then. Why does smaller grip its better?

not sure what you mean on more whip likefor my backhand stroke. do you have the video of the backhand stroke you talking about?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

thinner grip is better, by forcing you to use a more relaxed grip and use more finger power in your strokes

thicker grip forces you to tighten your forearm muscles too much

8. visor

visor Regular Member

do a search in the injuries section for tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis

iirc, a physiotherapist had posted some stretching exercises and photos showing how to stretch and help it recover faster

9. andrew16

andrew16 Regular Member

thanks for the help. any other people can opinion on my injury?