What tension should i use if i'm a power type player and not a control type?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ShuttlerSmash11, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ShuttlerSmash11

ShuttlerSmash11 Regular Member

None
    I'm thinking if i should use a lower tension if i'm a power type player. Because i think, the lower the tension, the faster the smash you will make because the string is bouncy... Should i or should i use higher tension?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It depends very much on your technique. Some international players use tensions of 32lbs and are able to smash very hard, a mate that I play with has a very hard smash and he only uses 24lbs.
    I would reccomend using 24-26lbs, do you know what your current tension is?

3. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

the higher the tension, the lesser power are generated from your smash, but you have to back it up with your fitnesses training..

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Shameless plug about my own observation of different tensions.

The notion of lower tension higher power and vice versa is way off the truth. Tensions higher than your capability robs you of power (that is true). Tensions lower than your capability also robs you of power.

5. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    My Current Tension is 24, but i can't hit a very powerful smash... That's why i'm thinking if s should use lower tension...

6. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    My Current Tension is 24, but i can't hit a very powerful smash... That's why i'm thinking if s should use lower tension...

7. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    So you're saying that I should use lower tension?

8. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The lowest tension I would use for smashing is 22lbs, any less than that and you are too low.
    Have you been coached in smashing technique?

9. super64

super64 Regular Member

bag manufacturer, beverage distributions
    i agree i strung my Bravesword 10 at 26lbs. yonex nano 95 power was little ok but my shoulder hurt so i tried 25 Lbs. with Li ning AP101 no power and string looses always . GRRR !

10. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    No, actually, i used to view videos in youtube. I was trained before once, but once is not enough to make it a successful one...

11. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    No, actually, i used to view videos in youtube. I was trained before once, but once is not enough to make it a successful one...

12. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I think you should try and follow some of the videos on youtube, if a coaching isn't possible.
    But the main thing is that you need to practice drop shots before you start smashing. All too often people want to be able to hit hard and they never get the timing right, so they never hit the sweet spot to generate the power that they want to. If you can get the timing and the action right and do drop shots comfortably, then increase the power to fast drops then to 70% smashes then to full smashes. Stay relaxed when smashing , if you are too tense your shot will be poor/slow.
    My screen broke while I was typing, so if there is a few spelling mistakes or anything it's because I can't see. I will fix it and return later to edit my post...

13. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    Ok, ill follow all of it. I will be stringing my Prince racket, atleast tension 21 will do.. Ill stay relax when smashing....

14. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I suggest u got for 26 , since u are into 24 ..

15. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Tension depends on every individual. I play at 25lbs, and i smash decently (i guess:p)

Yes, theortically, you are right, lowering your tension, will increase the power of the shot, but will in turn, decrease the speed and accuracy of your shuttle.

I would suggest, try tensions around the range that you are currently playing at. By increasing or decreasing 1lb each time you restring. With that, then only will you know the perfect tension for yourself.

16. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    So, you're saying that i should not lessen my current tension? Am I going to have a good smash on that tension?

17. ShuttlerSmash11

None
    Can You Smash Hard With Your Current Tension Of 25? Because I'm Planning To Lessen My Tension To Increase The Speed Of My Weak Smash... Can You Advice Me What To Do, Am' I Goin To Lessen My Tension To Hit A Good Smash? Can You Tell Me What Tension Should I Use?

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

With your current tension, can you clear and lift high and far enough into the farthest backline? If you can do those without fail (or needing to reach near 100% of power generation) then your string tension is adequate or slightly lower than optimum.

You gauge the string tension which is adequate for you by judging how much energy you need to clear and lift high into the end backline. When you require 100% of energy generation to clear to the very end of the backline especially with an over the head clear then the tension you're using is at your optimum.

If you experience the situations I described above then you can only blame the "The Speed Of [Your] Weak Smash" on your smashing technique, which has near zero relation to your string tension. A slow smash is the cause of you not transferring adequate power from your hips and thighs (quadrucep muscles) into hitting the shuttle.

19. aCROX999

aCROX999 Regular Member

Like they have said, technique is the important thing, my friend strung his racquet at 18lbs and his smash is the fastest among all of my friends.

20. jordanbryant

jordanbryant Regular Member

none
    it's mainly technique because im only 15 and i can smash more powerful than alot of the adult in my league and im in league 3, i can smash with nearly any tension but they are always faster with a tighter tension, i think it's just your technique tbh, i havent realy had smashing practice but my coach always makes us play matches with my friends so i can practice them mid match and it has realy worked, but im an agressive player anyway so i do alot of smashing in the first place.

i would recomend that you play with a friend for about 1-2 hours, twice a weak and in a few weeks you will have good smashes :D and i would recomend a tension you are comfortable with so you can practice other shots aswell.