spending difference between tennis and badminton player

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by silentheart, Jan 14, 2011.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Dear BCBF members,

Yes, many of you will not be happy after you read what I am going to post. But i am going to stir up the pot anyway.

This is a contrast in US. Not reflection if other countries.

Most of the people bought items from me before know I do not make money on sale or make less than 5% if I decide to do so. This happened to me several time every year. Some friend of friend of someone bought racquet before got some idea that I sell my new/used badminton racquet some time. So they get my info and ask me to sell them my equipments new or used. When they hear the price I quoted,
    Buyer: Is there any discount?
    Me: No, I am not making any money already.
    B: What if I buy the shoes and racquet, can you give me a better price?
    M: No, you are getting the best deal you can find already. I am not making money.
    B: Come on, I know you make money.
    M: NO!
    B: I am just a poor student and I don't have the money.
    M: So, I am suppose to lose money and sell you below my cost?
    B: I really don't have the money now and I need the nice new racquet.
    M: Can I sell you a used one at your budget?
    B: (Checked out the mint condition racquet with over grip showing sign of use) but it is a used one, can I get a better price?
    M: Please go back and ask your friend on what kind of deal you are getting. Come back when you are serious.
    B: OK, I will buy the new one.

WTF. you tell me you don't have the money and now you have it?

This is what happen with tennis player.
    Buyer: Got a racquet you recommend?
    Me: Try these 2 based on what you are using and what you like to improve.
    B: (take it on the court and come back 30 min later) I like the yellow one. What is the price?
    M: $120 frame + $10 stringing
    B: Best you can do?
    M: Yes.
    B: OK. Take credit card?
    M: No, check or cash only.

See the difference on how they are OK to pay?

In US, parents pay tennis club membership and coach fee for the kids. Why can't badminton parents do the same and not as stingy?

For the grown ups, please understand, do some research first before you buy badminton equipment. This is not buying a car from a dealer. Don't make a fool of yourself. If you think the price is too high, ask once. If you can not make a deal, just walk away.

Yes, I am pissed. Why does badminton players has to behave this way? Just because you are a friend of a friend of someone bought a pair of shoes from me before and you think you are entitle to get a better price?

Most of people from BCBF are very nice and know they deal they get. It is the local people or some one just showed up in tournament does this.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe it's because there are more chinese playing badminton and we all know how us chinese like to haggle to get the best deal, even if for only a few dollars. :)

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The problem is Tennis in England is very hard to get into without joining a Tennis club. Near me the only available Tennis courts outside of Tennis clubs are council run. Imagine a dangerously delapadated floor with shattered glass filling the cracks and holes between the areas of... shattered glass. So it's not worth me buying a good racquet to play in these areas. Membership costs to the clubs can be very high, along with coaching, balls and racquets. And I won't pay membership fees to make use of the courts for the amount of the year the courts are dry. So it tends to be that here in my area a lot of Tennis players are of the richer variety.
    Badminton players can range from social players to the rich, and I feel membership fees are very reasonable. But I am a student and I really don't have the money to waste on a £150+ ArcZSlash, so if the vendor can give me a discount I will make sure that I ask for it. Especially when online shops can sell it to me for £130+, so I save £20 by waiting a few days. If the vendor may be willing to knock £5~£10 off the price I could be very tempted to save a 2 day wait.

I also think if they have checked the price on an online shop before coming to you they will be suspicious of differences in price. (I don't know your prices, so this is a guess)
    So I think Tennis players have a bit more money to waste (in my area).

4. silentheart

Hi Andy05,
    My wife was in UK for a while and I know the weather. As a tennis player I feel bad since English invented the game of Tennis (and Badminton too) and yet only the rich can enjoy.

Regarding the price difference is what if you come to me and I am offering the price of £130 for a ARC-Z? will you haggle and ask 3 time then question I am making money? I am OK for people to ask once. Because the worse is no for an answer. But don't push it.

If someone bought a real racquet and tell you the good news. I think you will give it a try. Just like most of the members here i met, they are very reasonable people and will not haggle you to death.

I think I will be rude to push people because I don't have time to deal with you. I do usually string 15+ racquet a week and I have a real job during the day and teach 3 hr tennis a week in the evening. So I will only do badminton business on Sat morning.

Hi Visor,

May be it is in chinese nature to haggle and that is not being cheap. It is being smart and frugal. However, when someone push too hard and taking too much time, it become cheap and irritating. It is a job for car sales person to deal with hagglers. However, it is not shop owner's job to spend too much time so he can stay in business.

have a nice weekend to you all.

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I would ask if that was your best price, but I do agree 3 times and then questioning your profit from the racquet is a bit too far.
    Some people are rude and feel that they can haggle, when they are just being rude.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Stingyness is embedded in the blood for badminton players...hahaha... lol. ;) I do get these nonsense at times. ;) But most knows they do get good deals. Just handle them competently. ;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p..master silentheart, next time you should put a big sign that says "No haggling allowed" or "You haggle, you get a bagel"; it'll save you time...:p

8. silentheart

master c,
    people knows me, they don't haggle. you are amongst friend...

9. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    hi silentheart
    me 100% agree with you.
    me 100% had that same experience before..
    me think it's just the east vs west culture...

not meaning to stimatize any race, but in general eastern people want you to make 2 bucks less so they can buy a free wonton noodle, western people respect your pricing reasonings and find it a pleasure doing business with you...

keep up the good work!! 99% people are smart and will know what we're doing... have faith!