Regretful purchases

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by justinpops, Jan 14, 2011.

1. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Saw the other thread and didn't want to hijack that thread. I think it would be great to see some experience of people who went through a lot of bad racquets whether its impulsive buy or getting scammed by fake racquets. Hopefully newer people on this boards like me can learn from other 's mistakes.

I know there are great reviews from players here and this could also be some die hard fans or biased people misleading the community hehe.

Looking forward to see some of you share your bad experiences

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This thread and the "For Sale" section would have a lot in common.;)

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ha! Nice one!!! :D
    My regretful purchase: A Karakkal racquet, oval head. A piece of wood.:(:crying:Luckily I found a person who actually liked it! :D

4. justinpops

Sales Manager
    Haha. Wasn't intended that way lol. Just more to the buyers beware side. And if this thread affects the sellers section moderators please delete.

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

"I have not failed. I found 10,000 rackets that won't work." - Thomas Badminton.

I do not regret a single racket despite selling most of them since they are all lessons.

6. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I don't regret bying any racket. Some has worked less good. But not so bad that I regreted the purchase.

One of the worst investments was however my cab 21 in 3U. The 2U is a classic and I have five! Lighter and faster should have been good, but somehow it wasn't. I don't regret bying it and it's not for sale. My experience is that I have regreted _selling_ some of my rackets. I miss my cab 14 and my cab 8dx (in burgundy).

7. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I bought a Browning racket when I first came back for badminton about a couple of years ago. The £300 RRP made me thought that it'd a worthy purchase. Paid about 1/5 of that RRP and it turned out to be a junk. Sold that racket after 2 weeks later for 1/10 of that RRP! It was a horrible mistake. I regret buying that more than the money I once spent on 2 fake YY NS9900 for about USD50.

8. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    back in 2003,bought a MP100 when i was still a beginner back then, with 1yr of playing experience and so much of that "posh rackets improves your game by 10 fold" attitude. Practically killed my arm :p
    sold it almost at half price to someone who manage to put it to good use.:eek:

9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    When I was younger I had a paper round, so I had a lot of money saved up, and I kept buying the new Yonex releases. At the time it was AT700 1st gen, because the AT800OFF was just out of my price range, I will never regret the AT700 1st Gen, I do regret not buying enough of them to last me the rest of my life.
    The racquet I regret I bought as soon as I had enough money, after the AT700 purchase, to buy a new racquet. I went and bought the NS8000 1st gen. I played with it for about 2 weeks solid and decided the AT700 was better. A few months later the AT700 strings snapped, and I got the NS8000 back out of my bag, and it snapped when I caught it on the floor, off a net shot...
    NS8000 is a rubbish racquet, in my opinion.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Arc Z - luckily I got it as a mint ex-demo. The most unwieldy, unyielding, difficult-to-time racket I have ever tried. I had it at the same time as my NS9900 - guess which one I sold (first).

11. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Haha, don't tell me you ended selling both the rackets, Mark :)

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In my defence, I kept the NS9900 for probably the longest I've kept any racket!

Considering a VT70 next, but I think I've sorted out a demo racket so I don't have to commit;).

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Arc8DX for me. just did not fit me.

14. justinpops

Sales Manager
    So far there's a few situations. Buying something over the RRP is always bad for the ego. Getting scammed with fake stuff is even worse. Reading raving reviews and buying something that dont suit you isn't that bad. Buying a racquet that causes injuries. Quite a list

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I regret buying Yonex racquets. They were expensive, and they broke.

I don't regret buying racquets which were half the price of how much I'd pay for a Yonex.. eg: Mizuno TC700, Apacs racquets..
    I managed to get an Apacs Stern100 for a dollar (lucky auction win, no one else bidded..).. I'll never regret this ;D

16. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

kind of agree with the Yonex comment. they're expensive and they broke on me. 3 in the past year.
    cheaper rackets could perform better.

btw, was the seller Malaysian-based? i'm surprised they honored it.

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Nope, the seller was the Apacs distributor in NZ. The thing is.. since I won the auction, he had to post it to me. If he didn't, I could have given him a bad review.

But you know what, since the racquet said "Max recommended tension 35lbs", I had it strung to 33lbs by AE86trueno about a month or so ago.. I've clashed it, and the paint didn't even chip. My Yonex MP40 JP.. broke when it was strung to 27lbs. AT700 broke at 30lbs. I must say that the stringing was good, but also that the racquet is pretty good too.. better quality than Yonex.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hehe - I'll be testing that one as well:D.

19. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Regretful purchases??? Ghost Rider DVD. Awful movie

20. aCROX999

aCROX999 Regular Member

It was an awful movie. :p

BTW, I have no racquets which I regretted buying them, all of them are awesome. I think it's easy to distinguish between fake and real racquets, when you buy at shops that is.