Fake Nanogy 95 Strings?!?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by himongi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. himongi

himongi Regular Member

I've always known that if a deal is too good to be true, it often is.

I recently got a pretty good deal on some Yonex Nanogy 95 strings.

Anyone know how to tell the difference between real and fake strings?

Thanks so much guys!

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
  3. himongi

himongi Regular Member

Thanks Andy05 for the link; at the fear of reposting a commonly asked question, I did do a search for other links.

As for as I'm concerned, there are very subtle differences between the packets. I have a packet of real strings and a packet of "i'm not sure" strings.

The differences with the "i'm not sure" strings are the following:
    - strings are slightly darker
    - the package print is exactly the same except the hue is slightly lighter

Any other was to discern real from fake?

Andy05, I did buy them off eBay. I went on the seller's reputation as there was no negative feedback.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

These days packaging can be copied so well, i know its a bit hard at first to tell the difference. I also bought a few fake ones in the past. There are 2 thing that you can look at:
    1. The hologram on the original package should be the same quality as the one put on the racket. Whereas the fake one looks kinda cheap and does not show the greeny and redish colour.
    2. The print on the string itself. The original one is smaller and very neat. The fake one is not as precise. Just compare your NBG95 with an old/original one, if your string is fake it will be very easy to spot.

5. himongi

himongi Regular Member

Good advice, Yoppy.

I have examined both the hologram as well as the print. Both are very clean.

What spooked me a little was that when I asked the seller if they could somehow assure me that their product was authentic, there was no reply.

What about the performance? I would imagine that there should be differences in sound, durability, control, power, etc.

Thanks again, all!

6. konafan

konafan Regular Member

i got a non-authentic yy at900 from china ...
    somehow i feel the yy nbg95 on it also non-authentic ...
    The feel is not there when hitting the shuttle.

if u have used nbg95 before ...u can feel the difference
    string appearance ..sound , control , power , shuttle hitting the string bed, etc ...

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes thats a good point too. I ended up putting the fake one on my AT800T, and i can say that its so horrible. Accuracy was all over, and it feels like your racket bed is a sponge. Also the tension is gone in just 1 session, my stringer put 28lbs but after just one nite it feels like it dropped to something closer to 24lbs. Then i end up cutting it and put on the original one. So all in all, its not worth it.

8. himongi

himongi Regular Member

I have yet to string my racket with the new batch.

I'll post my observations when I re-string!

Baseline test: durability has been good; withstands mishits; power has been good; sound is clean.
    Racket: Yonex Nanospeed 9000X

Happy hitting folks!

9. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I got fake strings once. The "YONEX" on the string could rub off.
    Also when I cut the string for the 2 piece stringing I could tell it's fake because the core of was completely solid. No fibers.

10. himongi

himongi Regular Member

So just a quick update. I recently restrung a couple rackets here.

If you're from the Vancouver area, you're likely to be familiar with Tad's. So I Brought the rackets and strings in and was immediately called back. There were concerns that the strings are indeed NOT authentic.

I'll keep you posted with my discussions with the seller on eBay and the dispute process.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Worse case scenario, you should leave a negative feed back.

But perhaps Paypal can do something about it?

12. himongi

himongi Regular Member

With leaving negative feedback, you risk retribution from the seller; sellers that have nothing to fear always leave feedback first, even prior to buyer receiving the product because they're so confident of customer satisfaction. Not to say this is always the case... but IMHO/observation.

Also, I took the 3 packets of strings into Tad's in Vancouver. 2 of them were from the shipment I received from Silverprophet47 whereas the other were authentic strings that I still had. The guys at Tad's took one look at the 3 packets and was able to immediately pick out the 2 from the shipment and said that the strings were fake; the other one, he said they were real. This is without even opening the strings and feeling them.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted with my journey with eBay and Paypal. Happy hitting everyone!

By the way, if you PM me, I can give you more details about the seller (location, real name, etc.).