What Would You Do With BAM if Tomorrow You Are Given the Mandate To Run It?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Bbn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I start this thread just to avoid too much discussion of a coach which I think is blown out of proportion and involves too much emotion.

Please note that as of now, I have no one in ignore (I used it only on rude remarks and
    bullying and harassment).So post your comments but at least be a bit practical :

1) If I were given the running of The BAM tomorrow, I will do nothing.

But I will ask them to state clearly their goals (as a whole,TCC,coaches etc.) for
    the next 2 years.
    After 2 years if they do not achieve their goals I will change the whole team and
    set-up and also fire myself .

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Tough one... as not many are experience enough. This is like giving the BAM tips on how to run their job. Free money to them.

Anyway, no harm, lets try.

1) Everyone need to submit their mission and plans. Both short and long term goals. (Applies to management, technical and players, eg. how many tournament wins target or which round to achieve, spread out the weights in %). All goals needs to be precise and measureable (give the benefit of doubt in grey area). All the hows, when, where, who, what, which needs to be spelled out and stick them on the wall. Justify tax payers money.

2) Set up a media liaison officer to go through the plans with everyone of them and publish it. This will allow the whole of Malaysia or states people to learn the process. Hate to see those 'keeping the secrets in the brain' macho thingy. This is for Transparency and enhance the nation's admin and coaching standards. What if someone died overnite?

3) Have a group of programming staff or PM (preferably competent techies) to keep track of the developments monthly and quarterly. if too much deviations, change it or fire them (if too much discrepancy). Must be strict and keep track of slackeys.

4) There must be consistency with training hours and the type of training. No one is exception. Everyone does the same thing. If a weakness is spotted, Focus on those week area and put 2-3 hours to work on it every day. Strength and weaknesses must be noted and worked on. Stick on their walls. ;)

5) Supporting staff like Accounts, fund raisers, bean counters, infrastructure, meals, physical and other staff needs to provide (1) above. Year or season end bonus will be calculated based on individual and overall achievements. (Moderate incentives) ;) Only committed and passionate people need to apply for the above. ;)

#2 extremenanopowe, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am inclined to agree with Post #2.

It's important for coaches to set some targets for their players and make sure their programs (and the tournaments they select) can ensure that most of their players can meet the targets. Players will also be subject to yearly evaluation. If the coaches think that Player A have somewhat met the target set for him/her early in the year but Player B doesn't, then, Player B will face the risk of being kicked out. I am sure tax-payers do not want dead-wood to stick around in the team for long.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just for fun :

Example of Stakeholder (Customer Analysis)-A Management Decision Making Tool

If you were a sports body which of the following interest groups would you put priority on in meeting their needs?

I would rank mine as follows (with rationale) :

1) Government- (because they have the power to make or break me)
    2) Sponsors- (Without money the system grinds to a halt)
    3) Players- (Without players interested the Sports body will cease to exist)
    4) The Public- (They may complain until I am out of existence)
    5) Coaches -( Not that difficult to replace)
    6) Administrators- (A dime a dozen)

That is how I would prioritise demands of various stakeholders (or customers, internal and external).

How about yours? Its only for fun .

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually BAs are only needed because of BWF ruling that tournament registration must go through the BA, if I m not wrong. if BWF change that rule which is likely in the future when conditions are right, there's no need for BAs except for team tournaments.

Accordingly, looking at what is happening with INA independents, the priority would be:

1) player with sponsor
    2) coach
    3) BA to process admin matters, not to make decisions

When BWF do away with BA requirement, 3) would be redundant.

A clear example is INA MD Mk/HS. Coach Sigit? was released to specifically guide them to another Olympics gold?

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Get Rid of the skelaton hierachy system (which is prehistoric). Replace with Living Cell organization.

Implement the Cell Groups Idea. With Annual Drafting system and half yearly Transfer windows.

Points system on players performance to go into coaches / cell group leaders banks to be used in drafting / transfers,... and most importantly to use points on their players of their choices for extra tournament exposure.

Overall... Re-empower the Coaches / Cell Group Leaders and cofine Comitee to general admin and policy making... with Cell Group Leaders to concensus to final approve any major restructuring.

#6 jug8man, Jan 15, 2011
  7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Sorry for the confusion, what I was getting at is if you were the Chairman of BAM and were faced with a problem involving a

well known coach and you are facing differing demands from all 6 different groups that you have to satisfy,as Chairman which of the stakeholder

demands would you place as most important and which least important (to be ignored) before making a decision.

Who do you think you cannot afford to offend and who you can ignore , because some have power over you, some you can

control etc. This is a tool called Stakeholder Analysis ,ranking and prioritising your stakeholders so you get the best benefits

and please the strongest at the expense of the weakest.All 6 can have an effect on you to different degrees.

Its about the same decision as when a doctor has limited drugs who does he treat first,weakest strongest etc.

The type of ranking reflects the type of leader you are, my choice above is a very cynical one because I am thinking only of

my own survival and really making full use of others, like a politician.

#7 Bbn, Jan 15, 2011
  8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

You can't change your legs

You can't change your arms.

You can't change them but you can train them. You can get a coach to assist you.

If you are not happy with the coach or your paths are just not meant to be, you can try to look for another coach.

However if you can change many coaches but the result is still the same. then it is not the coach fault.

Then the only onther thing you can change is your own MIND and ATTITUDE.

Clearly the answer to Bbn is.... not who is expendable... but who or what needs changing.

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

in referance to the bolded part. If you are not part of the solution then you are the problem.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well OK in my case I value my importance of stakeholders as :

1) Government
    2) Financiers
    3) My stars
    4) Public Opinion
    5) My experts working for me
    6) My administrators and managers

So I will be seen as a Leader afraid of the government and laws, very accomodating with rich financiers,
    treat my Star perfomers very well, dont really care about what the public thinks of me, treat my experts with little regard,
    and look down on my loyal servants. So I will be very rich and powerful and rub shoulders with them, and make maximum use of my Stars and pay little attention to what people say, and hire and fire my experts and staff.Probably one day my Stars may fail,
    the money and power dry up and I will have to re-trench all my loyal and long-suffering experts and staff.

What about you Jugman, what would you do as a Leader.Try re-sorting the ranking and give each a rationale why you think it is more/less important and see what kind of leader you turn out to be and whether you can survive.

No "treating every stakeholder the same" as in practice you have to please or hurt someone and someone's got to lose.

Its only for fun remember.

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I will hesitate to agree, I think the main problem is

having to comply primarily with the demands of the Government, Financiers and Public,

who may not be receptive to new ideas proposed and can only see things thru

a traditional lens.

Then I can only do so much within a framework for my Stars,Experts and Servants.

My point is it is not so easy to be a Leader, it is like the role of the Circus Juggler,

trying to please everyone. Many things in practice are easier said than done.

Try out the exercise and see for yourself.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Past leaders might place their priorities as :

1) Government
    2) Financiers
    3) Public Acceptance
    4) Managers and Administrators
    5) Coaches and Experts
    6) Stars and players

This is a very traditional top down approach and is all based on hierarchy.What do you think will be the result?

13. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think, the most successful BAM year are few years before and after 1992 TC......like 88 to 94 !

We shd take that as a model to rebuilt our team.........at that time our team has strong 1st and 2nd singles, 1st MD and 2nd MD but now we only having strong 1st MS and not so strong 1st MD.....sad !!

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Cant remember what the set-up was then but it was basically run by strong man Gunalan and a lot of military training

and expensive imported sparring partners.We won basically because we could splurge big money like Arabs on their football teams, whilst the competition could not and could easily be won over by money.

The set-up was basically post no.12 with a lot of monetary rewards, kinda like the Carrot and Stick approach.

At that time money flowed like rainwater.

#14 Bbn, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Dilemma of a leader:
    Try imagining yourself a General on the battlefield or Admiral Kirk on the Starship Enterprise or Captain Whushhisname

of Mutiny on the Bounty fame,

You are not Robinsoe Crusoe now running your own island, every decision you make must be calculated

and weighed as to the effect on the enemy, the impact on your soldiers whose lives are in your hands,

or the impact on your country and the helpless civilians and natural environment, you have to weigh all these before deciding

the next course of action.

Managing people is not playing Dota where you can start all over again whenever you wish.,

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe some of my work experiences in the Asia Pacific can be an eye-opener for some of you. I was working in the Asia Pacific regional HQ of a multinational company many moons ago. One of the most interesting things I came across was how different countries in this region appraise their own capability. Most SE Asian and the the Indian sub-continent countries managers tend to over-rate their ability and always bitch about their ability and work not being highly appreciated. Their common complaint was being underpaid and not being promoted to more senior positions they claim they are qualified to hold. The Japanese tend to under-rate themselves. I was astounded when some high performing Japanese staff worried to death about not being able to live up to the trust they were given when promoted. This is cultural and is very real.
    You will not find any Japanese input on this thread. There will be many from others. Now who can say the Japanese are less good?

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

And in case the above doesn't ring a bell or you catch no ball,

it is what people mean when they say "Look at the big picture" before you decide.

Expediency tempts people to make hasty decisions, it might win a battle, but in the LONG TERM you lose the war,

as time catches up on you because you failed to consider all the factors that might have an impact on you before you made a decision. You can be said to have tunnel vision.

#17 Bbn, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

This syndrome of delusion and mirage I think is called "Hype" in England.

In some places I think they prefer the word "boleh" or "can do" or positive thinking.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I would shut down the training centre.

All training to be outsourced to private clubs and universities etc across the country. Each centre must meet certain specific manpower criteria and infrastructural requirements. Each centre must guarantee training of a certain minimum number of players of a certain grade. Payment on a sliding scale of performance. All players must agree to be available for any number of physical tests and progress evaluation on random occasions with 24 hours notice. Any player failing stringent quality levels for these tests will be thrown out. No exceptions.

The centres will be permitted to display a certificate that certifies the centre as a training centre for BAM. If there is no appreciable (quantifiable) result from any one outsourcing recipient, publish a notice and remove them from the approved list of outsourced training centres for 1 year. The certificate is to be immediately removed.

In short for everyone: a sink-or-swim approach.

BAM would then function almost mostly as an administrative centre and clearing house.

This may also be the first step tpwards a CBSL-type setup in Malaysia, if it is planned correctly, because it will provide the impetus for corporate/private enterprise to actively contribute and gain from the sport.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would ask the CTC members......

If I were given the running of The BAM, I would ask the CTC members;

What makes you so certain that your 'new' structure/system will work?

Let them explain to me what have current coaches done wrong lately. ;););)

#20 chris-ccc, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011