Playing more Constant

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Aphelion-, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Aphelion-

Aphelion- Regular Member

I just had a few match today, and i figure out that i am not very constant, for example, when i clear two times in a row, the first clear will have alot of power and go to the end of the court, while the other one will lose power and goes like 3/4 of the court.i believe is that i don't hit the sweet spot.is there any way avoiding that?

second question,which way of stroke give more force and let the birdie travel faster?
    1) you swing your racket at high speed but not with much of brute force
    2) you swing your racket slower, but you take ur time and concentrate your force

thanks in advance

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Hiya, unfortunately if you aren't very consistent the way to improve that is to practice that shot a lot more. In your warm up do a lot of clears with a partner and that should help.
    For the second question, a slower swing is better when training as it allows you to get your timing correct. Swing slower and try to make contact with the sweet spot, as you get better you can increase the speed of the swing and you will still be hitting the sweet spot.

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Practice alone might not be enough. I'm assuming, of course, you already know how to perform the stroke you want to work on.

You'd need to be mindful of the height, placement and length of the shots on your side. Lower height could mean you'd have less time to get to the shuttle, thus require somewhat more powerful/faster footwork. If you shots normally have good length, a short shot on your side could cause your return to go out if you hit with the same power. Cutting too much, and your return is short. Do you want to create angle (e.g. from close to center-line position to one of the 2 corners), or hit straight. If you want to create angle, its magnitude may also vary.

So your practice partner would need to help change the above dimensions in order for you to practice adjustment. In real game, don't "try too hard" to change your swing speed, or angle that you seldom practice, as this would alter your timing, and probably result in more errors.

Finally, lack of power could also be because of tension in your arm muscles. You may have gripped too hard/tight. Pay some attention there to find out the reason. Good luck.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

The problem with two clears in a row might be a footwork issue. After you hit a clear, you'll usually be moving forwards, so to hit a second clear you'll need to change direction and move back quickly. If you're too slow moving back then you won't be able to play the second shot so well.