Weaving the Horizontal Strings Incorrectly

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ToFuStew, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ToFuStew

ToFuStew New Member

Student
    What would happen in play if you were to accidently on two adjacent strings go over/under two vertical strings when threading the string across the racket? Is it likely to snap as soon as it is hit on that point or will it probably be ok?

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    You will probably get some weird or wonky playing characteristics whenever you hit that spot. The lack of weave will reduce the friction at the spot and can cause the cross to move more during normal play. This can cause a large section of the main to be exposed and thus much more susceptible to breaking.

As a matter of fact, with tennis stringing, it hasn't really been that much of a playing problem unless its directly in the center of my contact point, and even then its very very hard to notice. For badminton however, since both the strings and the racket are much more fragile and would probably be much more detrimental on the racket's overall health. I would recommend immediately removing the offending stringjob but DO note:
    if you had a stringer do it, you should show it to him first before cutting it out. If he is a good and reputable stringer, then he should be willing to restring the racket either free of charge or just at cost of string as it HIS fault that the strings are miswoven. If you yourself were the one who strung the racket, I would recommend you cut the string out ASAP and redo the string. Even assuming an expensive string like NGY98 or BG66M/U, it is still a small price to pay compared to the peace of mind that your much more expensive racket is safer.

3. ToFuStew

ToFuStew New Member

Student
    Thanks for that, well I must confess to being the offending party, I strung it myself, and you can imagine how I felt when I noticed having just tied the final knot!

Well, I have since posting this played some training and a leauge match and havn't noticed any difference in the performance of the racket, yet. Having said that, my smash is actually better now than it was, but I'm sure that is just down to having tight strings again, as the ones in it before were the original nearly 1 year old strings, which had become very loose.