Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: More tournaments suffering..?
03-27-2003, 05:57 AM #1
More tournaments suffering..?
From Jakarta post today
Jakarta Open to go ahead: Organizing Committee
Musthofid, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
The possible withdrawal of the main sponsor for the upcoming Jakarta Open badminton championship will not prevent the organizers from pushing ahead with the event, a committee member said on Wednesday.
Icuk Sugiarto, chairman of the organizing committee, said the tournament would go ahead as scheduled at the Asia-Africa Badminton Hall in Jakarta from April 14 through April 20.
"For the sake of badminton's image and the ongoing program, the event must proceed. The committee will make all efforts ... it's important that the show must go on," Icuk, who is also the chairman of the Jakarta office of the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI), told a media conference.
Earlier in the day, Japanese racket producer Yonex announced that it had put on hold a decision as to whether it would go ahead with the previously agreed sponsorship arrangements.
"The deal with the main sponsor has already been made. However, due to the unfortunate monetary situation brought about by the Iraq war, Yonex has yet to confirm its commitment," Icuk said.
A committee official, however, said that Yonex, through its branch office in Singapore, had said it was unavailable for sponsorship this time around due to economic uncertainties.
Eight clubs have already confirmed their participation in the tournament, which is expected to feature foreign players. The clubs come from the provinces of South Kalimantan, Central Java, East Java and Jakarta.
"I'm sure that in the next three days more clubs will be registering. Many of the participants usually only sign up at the last minute," explained Icuk, the 1983 world champion, adding that he expected a turnout of around 1,100 players as was the case last year.
There is no registration fee with Icuk saying that this was aimed at attracting as many participants as possible.
"We have also sent invitations to around 20 Asian countries. We are waiting for their responses. We have asked the Asian Badminton Confederation (ABC) to help disseminate the information," he said.
The 2002 event saw players from Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei Darussalam among the participants.
Icuk said that the 2003 championship would become a satellite event with the cash prizes being increased to a total of Rp 50 million (US$5,555).
Three categories will be contested: U-16, U-19 and seniors.
"Hopefully, the Jakarta Open can be made the cornerstone for an Indonesian badminton revival," Icuk said referring to yet another failure by the Indonesian badminton team, this time in the Sudirman Cup mixed badminton championship in the Netherlands.
"Ex-Sudirman Cup players may join but this will need PBSI approval. Particularly for the juniors, I expect them to make the best of the event," he said.
03-27-2003, 12:11 PM #2
so the Jakarta Open is not the same as the Indonesian Open. the Jakarta Open being a sub-satellite event while the Indonesian Open being a grand prix event (star rated).
i have not heard the name Icuk Sugiarto for a while now. i remember bumping into him during the 1988 HK open in the escalator.....
03-28-2003, 05:06 AM #3
I'm wondering about the statement by Yonex. How has the war and world economy affected them? Are their sales actually down at this time? Is it related to the cost and availability of oil? Is it maybe a concern that teams will not be traveling as much due to fears of terrorism?
By jk1980 in forum General ForumReplies: 39: 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
By sengkiang in forum InjuriesReplies: 25: 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM
By staples in forum Canada EastReplies: 1: 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
By AK911Carrera in forum USA EastReplies: 0: 08-05-2007, 12:58 PM
By GATX102 in forum Canada EastReplies: 3: 05-08-2003, 11:59 AM