typical string tension for fellow players in Canada

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wongmb, Jan 18, 2011.

1. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Just interested to see what tension and string my fellow Canadian uses ?
    Reason I asked is it seems for those in Asia, 24 is like the min one will use, and tension go upwards of 30+ lbs. I know Canadians string it lower, just wonder how much.

For mine, I am using 22lbs with BG80 but see quite a few post suggesting something as low as 18-20lbs.

2. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i was just about to restring mine and wasn't sure if location made a difference. i used to play with 20lbs in highschool i assume i hit a bit harder now and was going to go with 20/22 with bg65. using a cab 20 so not sure i would want to try any higher especially when sportscheck is one of the only options for stringing around here.

cory

3. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

I strung most of my racquets at 24lbs then 26x28 and now 30x33. However, due to the cold, dry weather, I don't recommend anything bg80's over 26lbs as it tends to snap rather fast.

I currently use bg65 and 65-ti for any high tension racquets.

4. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

I feel sorry for you that Sportchek is your only option !!

5. PopsiclePete

Agreed...

However, where in Ontario are you?? Have you considered shipping your racquet somewhere close by to get higher tensions?? Or, if you leave your town/city get all your racquets strung at once rather than waiting for them to break

6. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i live near north bay (20minute drive) they have sportscheck and an small independant store (just sports) that does tennis/hockey/skiing but they are fairly new store and haven't heard much about them. i may go talk to them if they seem hesitant about strining my cab 2 lbs over the max i might have to look elswhere. sudbury is 1hour away but don;t know any stringers there.

cory

7. PopsiclePete

Cory, you could try a couple of stores in the Ottawa area or GTA that may take your racquet and ship them back to you?

Or potentially find a person that does their own stringing somewhere near you and see if they are willing to help you out?

8. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Return shipping for a racket will probably be super expensive, unless u do multiple rackets at the same time.
    I was told even for the older racket like a cab20 or Aerotus, they can easily take 20lbs anyway.

PopsiclePete, even at 26lbs, it will snap on one mishit especially in the winter ?

9. PopsiclePete

I don't know about that haha, it could very snap, but that fully depends on the actual stringer, perhaps he/she is not that good.

10. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i purchased the rackets used and the strings have been on the rackets for 5-6 years some strings are frayed on one but should i replace both anyways because of the age.

another question do they normally charge more for pre stretching and if so is it worth it at low tensions like 20/22 with bg65 , or because i use lower tension would bg66 be better .

"Cory, you could try a couple of stores in the Ottawa area or GTA that may take your racquet and ship them back to you?"

i have family in gta and ottawa and will probably bring my rackets along next time i go up.but probably need to replace them soon, i purchased 2 rackets used and the strings have been on the rackets for 5-6 years some strings are frayed on one but should i replace both anyways because of the age.

cory

11. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

@ monticore - There must be a individual who strings in Northbay. There is a club at Canadore College isn't there? Go to the club to find our where they get their racquets done (and to play!!). Possibly ask high scholl coaches also where to go. Another local option may be to contact a local tennis club and see if any of the stringers have experience with badminton (I think possibly still a better option than Sportchek).

If not that, check with the Cambrian College team in Sudbury where they get them done locally (guessing) Rob or Tim.

shipping two racquts would probably cost $20 each way using Canada Post! : (

12. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Depends on the shuttle also. Generally, Plastic = lower tension and feather = higher tension
    What to you want in your string bed power or feel/control? Power = lower tension and feel/control = higher tension

13. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i thought about canadore but wasn't even sure they had badminton teams lol. i will check it out.

thanks

and my apologize to the op i think i hijacked the thread.
    cory

#13 monticore, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  14. what07

what07 Regular Member

I currently have rackets strung at 25lbs with ZM62. Before I had rackets strung with BG-80, 85, 66 at around 24 - 26lbs. I don't snap strings as much, only the once in a while bad mishit.

15. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I string my rackets at 25lbs with BG80. Anything lower than that now, I find I can not play as well with. Using my Nanospeed 9900, I tried my friend's racket which is the same except at 22lbs and it feels so soft. That is to say, when I hit the bird with it, it bounces a lot, I find I can not get decent power from it.

My friend on the UofT Saint George team has at least 26lbs on his rackets as a bare minimum. I am not sure what his maximum is. A couple friends are at around 20-25 lbs, one or two I know are at 28lbs.

16. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    27x29 BG65ti or BG70pro x BG80s. I've tried 28x30, and 26x28, but 27x29 feels pretty nice. I play primarily feather, and the strings would last forever if I don't cut them. But I generally wait until they drop to about 25lbs or lower, before I restring them myself. Depends on my spendiature of strings ^^. I usually don't mishit, and it normally doesn't fray anywhere else except the middle. But they also don't last long enough for it to fray really badly. I cut them as soon as they start feeling really dull =\

17. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Jonster, where you get your racket strung ?

PopsiclePete, So you are saying a good string job will make the string survive more mishits ? Is it because a sloppy stringer may weaken the string during stringing ??

18. PopsiclePete

There are many variables that could account for string snapping faster due to a bad stringer, but weakening the string through using and awl or clamping to hard could occur. If you find you mishit a lot, tighter tension in my opinion is definitely not the way to go for you, without knowing what type of player you are I can't really recommend anything to you....

But after 5-6 years, yeah you may want to change your string haha. I change my strings every 2 months maximum as bg65 does lose tension fast even when I prestrech at 15%.

All I can say is try a few different tensions and see which one is more comfortable.

19. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

I prob mishit 3-4 times during a 2hr session, not sure if thats considered high or low...

20. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Currently I get my stringing done at Lees Badminton. I want to find somewhere cheaper though. I find it reliable as I have kept going back to them 6 or 7 times.

I heard MjStrings does not have a very good stringing service. A year ago, at Flying Dragon, when I asked to get my strings strung at 22lbs, I was told that was too high and I practically had to force them to string the racket for me. Other than that, I don't know where else to get strings done.

There is a dude at my university who plays on the drop-in days and talked to him over a few weeks. I asked for 25lbs but it felt like 20, no joke. I was disappointed because he offered a decent price too.