Yonex Rackets - Problems with Paint Quality?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by allyjack110, Jan 18, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Has anyone else noticed any problems with the paint quality/finish of Yonex rackets? I’m not referring to their designs or cosmetics etc. But rather the durability of the paint itself. The reason I ask is because I have owned several high-end Yonex rackets and played with countless others. I’ve owned an NS 7700 and NS 9000 and currently own two AT700’s. All are excellent rackets. However, I personally feel all were susceptible to chipping even with the slightest of clashes or mis-hits. Is this something that anyone else has observed with their YY rackets or am I being a touch pedantic? I’m not criticising the playability of Yonex’s rackets. I think they are amongst some of the best out there. And in the end, it’s the function and overall playability of the racket that matters to the player. But when you pay over £100 for a racket you expect the ‘quality’ to be above par in all areas.

Your thoughts. Thank you

2. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I would say that mainly true except for the fact of my ti-10. Took me about 8 months till I first chipped it on a clash.

3. xen0303

xen0303 Regular Member

imo...perhaps the different of built material for current time rackets kinda effect the paint they are using. easily to chip off..

4. allyjack110

My NS7700 and NS9000 were both second-hand and given to me as presents and already had a few existing chips in the paint. Also, they were my first Yonex's so I didn't really care too much that they had a few paint chips; I was just so glad to have been given such excellent rackets free or charge. However, my two Armortec 700's that I currently own were my first proper Yonex purchases. I'm happy with my purchases but I've never known a racket to chip so easily.

I have a theory though. Ever since switching to the AT700 I feel I have become more aggressive and attacking in my style of play ie AT700 being very heady-heavy mostly designed for offensive play. As such, maybe I'm just more physical when I wield my rackets thus more likely to have a clash with my partners rackets. I knew a guy at my old club in London who used an Arc 10. Honestly, it was chipped so badly that there was hardly any red paint-work left on the frame between the 10 and 2 o'clock areas.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Don't clash, don't miss-hit and don't scrape the ground and your paint should be fine. Back in the times the paint was more durable because they were using lead based paint which can take the impact and made the racket heavier as it is thicker. Due to the concerns about lead, pretty much all racket manufacturer's switched to water based paint which is more made the racket lighter however the paint is more suspectable to damage since it is thinner.

6. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

+1 I agree with all this

7. allyjack110

It's only cosmetic so I shouldn't really compalin too much. However, I would be more upset if my racket had proper damage to the frame. Last week I was warming up for a game of doubles, with my partner to my left. Out of nowhere he came over to my side and clashed his racket with mine. His completely broke, whilst I had only a little chip in the paint. I've played badminton for over ten years and never once experienced this before. I've seen it happen many times but never to me. He was using an Ashaway arc blade 80 (ARC 10 clone). The clashes I have expereinced are using the fault of my partners. Perhaps I should just stick to singles from now on. It's put me off buying expensive rackets now. I really wanted a NS 9900 but don't think I'll bother now.

8. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

My AT900P LCW chips quite easily from mishits... :(

9. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    An ARC008 I bought recently had a paint chip on it out of the box :-S

10. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Someone reported putting thin layer of slippery car wax on the frame. When the bird hits the frame, it slides off rather than taking a piece of the paint along.

Anyone tried?