Yonex Nanopreme material

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by demolidor, Jan 19, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yonex Nanopreme(TM) material (2011)

Was scouring through AT700 for some news and saw this word mentioned in some VT80 thread. Apparently Yonex has been doing some developing which should please the critics [​IMG]. Suposedly the Voltric 80 will be the first to make use of it :cool: ... and RRP will be ¥22,000 (significantly more expensive compared to VT70, at least for Japan).

"AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 18, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Applied Nanotech Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB:APNT - News) is pleased to announce that it has developed a new nanotechnology carbon composite material in partnership with Japanese sporting goods giant, Yonex. The new material, called Nanopreme(TM) by Yonex, has been shown to dramatically improve the performance of racquets and golf clubs and will be used in the next generation of golf clubs and badminton racquets to be introduced by Yonex in the first quarter of 2011.

Nanopreme(TM), the carbon nanotube (CNT) enhanced epoxy resin results in improved performance of golf clubs and racquets. During product testing, Nanopreme scored improvements of 14 percent, 21 percent, and 24 percent, in flexural strength (bending strength), flexural modulus (stiffness) and impact strength (addressing external shock) respectively compared to conventional carbon materials. This results in products that are lighter, stronger, and more resilient than existing racquets and golf club shafts. In the case of golf clubs, this results in greater distance giving golfers the edge they are constantly seeking."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Yonex-to-Introduce-Next-pz-3486289650.html?x=0

Too bad their signup page makes no sense, else I'd be oggling them pics already :p.

#1 demolidor, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Nice find. Thanks for posting. Hopefully we will see some new Nanospeeds with this technology.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I still wouldn't count on that ;). The use of nanotech is not restricted to the NanoSpeed series since it is also applied in the ArcSaber series and now moving on to the Voltric series. I wouldn't expect this new stuff in anything other than "high-end" models at first and by naming the last NS "9900" that has pretty much exhausted their naming options I would say.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Lets hope it actually makes some difference in the final product :)

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Great news, hope it can be as good as expected.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Can correct it straight away while I'm at it: RRP for VT70 was ¥21,000 (had the retail price in mind when comparing) ...

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Wonder which the other racket is ..?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Nice find (Bored?!:))

Quotes of material advantages in the article are pretty sketchy - Just because the strengths of the material are better than standard carbon means nothing - Is it compared to HM Carbon? UHM Carbon? I am sure the basic carbon was used, in which case I suspect the % of 14, 21 & 24% would be restricted to single figure, or even decimal increases compared with HM Carbon with CNT technology.

Also Lighter, stronger & stiffer doesn't = better. I would say 99% of players will find rackets already available on the market that are too stiff for them, Most players use 3U rackets, when 4 & 5 U rackets are available. As for strength, although added durability is always wanted, if it affects the feel of the racket (no response, dull feel) then it would make a poor badminton racket.

9. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

If just want to make a stiff racket. Change the carbon shift shape from circle to square and the 90 degree edge facing front and real side of the racket. It will be stiffer than most racket.:D

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    For the same size a circular profile is stonger than a square one. (All other things being equal)

11. Khai_AS10

Khai_AS10 Regular Member

Project Basis
    The nanotech company also are the one which supply the nanotec technology to Victor???

I wonder, hmmm............??

12. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

Circular cannot be stronger than a square shape that has four edges facing front, real, left and right of the racket with the same size. Imagine two triangles forming a square and the edge of the triangle is supporting the load. Triangle is unlike a circular profile. It is hard to deform without changing one side of the length. This make a square or combination of two triangles stiffer than a circular shaft.

#12 hola4, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    For the same thickness of material & width of the shape Circular is stronger.....

14. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Yonex always use bad scientific practice to show that their new materials are better than the old ones.
    The picture showing how little the VT80 bent after hitting shuttle is poor, the VT80 handle is clearly at a lower angle than the racquet above, so it hit the shuttle earlier so it has had more recovery time.
    The ZSlash speed record could be beaten if the same procedure was applied to live games.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think the picture is meant to show that the racket recovers quicker than a 'normal' one, not that it's stiffer. Although I agree with the point about the (intentionally) sloppy scientific 'proof'....the way the Z-Slash record was done is incredibly stupid, I can't believe so many people fell for that. Although I have to admit I'm a bit surprised other companies (especially Li Ning) haven't done something similar, Fu could probably top that record, using the same method, as he usually smashes like 8-10% harder than Tan....

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

That is the first picture yeah but the second one I believe was supposed to show a bigger final impact. I guess it must've come up somewhere in the VT80 thread at the time, 15% more smash power without ever mentioning a bigger initial speed than the Z-Slash (which given the method used I don't think will differ much between a good number of models, nor will shuttle speed difference have much effect on that number :D).