I vote for 15 point rally system for Olympics and other majors

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by maximR, Jan 19, 2011.

1. maximR

maximR Regular Member

I just finished watching the 2004 All England Men's Final and boy , what a great match . Both players moving each other around , with tactics, drop , net , lift , clear , net .... and less smashing from both players .

I just love watching 15 points rally matches , those are the true badminton , at least for singles game .

Don't you all think the current system is too ... less enjoyable than the previous one ? I mean , I didn't enjoy watching the Copenhagen Masters Men's singles game because most of the players rely too much on smashing .

Only when you see, Lin Dan, and LCW in a match , you see true badminton . Why are fans so eager when LD meets LCW ? Because they know , they will definitely enjoy it . Both LD and LCW know each other's game inside out , so they rally each other instead of smashing .

You see more clears , drops and lifts compared to other matches .

What I want to suggest is , keep 15 points system for singles , and for doubles , with fast attacking play , 21 points. That would be great for fans and players .

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A 15 points rally match would be too short

Maxim, some said that a 15 points rally match (for Singles) would be too short.

Currently, we have (for Singles);
    * A game under the 21 points rally system will last about 20 minutes
    * A match under the 21 points rally system will last about 40 minutes (if 2 games)
    * A match under the 21 points rally system will last about 60 minutes (if 3 games)

3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I wouldn't mind seeing 5 game matches for finals and semi finals in important events even if it did mean shortening the number of points in each game. There would be more strategy, more clash of styles, more exciting and more epic plus it would put badminton inline with other sports.

4. ERTHK

ERTHK Regular Member

Professional Designer
    If I understand correctly, what maximR actually means is to bring back the old 15 points system for singles match, like in the good old days.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Think not about the good old days anymore......

Just as it was held at the 2011 Malaysia Open SS tournament this week; On Wednesday 19-Jan, matches were played until as late as 12:00 midnight.

If played with the old 15 points system, we could finish the night around 3:00am. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What I am saying is: Think not about the good old days anymore, because the organising/scheduling of matches in tournaments has been a BIG headache for tournament organisers.
    :):):)

#5 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. ERTHK

ERTHK Regular Member

Professional Designer
    Old 15 points system will have longer matches & comeback is very much possible

New 21 rally points system will have shorter matches & comeback is possible but rare

I have seen great matches under both old & new scoring system though, depends on how you like it.

If time is one of the main factors to be considered, then the new 21 rally points system clearly favors the match scheduling & shortens the TV broadcasting time (save cost)