To Let, or not to let; that is the question.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by X-Alex-X, Jan 20, 2011.

1. X-Alex-X

X-Alex-X Regular Member

I need help on clearing this matter up please!!
    Playing in a doubles match tonight, my opponents both went for the shuttlecock and subsequently one of them got hit in the face and went down onto the floor clutching his face. We carried on playing until the point was won but ultimately a let was called just because the opponent had been on the floor with an "injury". Is this the correct decision or not? :)

2. cliffordgooi

cliffordgooi Regular Member

Accountant
    I would personally call it because as a sportsman myself, i don't want to see my opponents getting injured - or rather prefer not to win a point because i beat a player with just one leg!

However if this is a tournament (more serious game), i would say keep playing till the point is over. Calling a let is ultimately the umpires' decision.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in strict regulation terms, there is no let on injury. the rally carries on. there is however reasonable time allocated to address the specific injury.

otherwise, you will start seeing people whacking their partners in their head in order to gain a let. ;)

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    In a tournament with Umpires they should call it. In a tournament without Umpires you should aim to win the point.
    In a league match, continue to play on, if the other opponent continues to play. If they stop to show concern for their teammate, it would be very nice to offer a let, but it depends how annoying/arrogant and stuff they have been during the game to whether I would give it.

5. wirre

wirre Regular Member

No let

The answer by kwun is correct. An injury doesn't purport a let.

Furthermore if the opponents continued the rally until they lost the point and then asked for a let I'd say that was unfair by them (and without any support in the rules).

Everytime I've had any accident (sprained ankle etc) I've immediately given up the rally and asked for time to treatment. But the point has, as by the rules, gone to the opponent.

However if not in a tournament/competition (or competition at lower level) I'd give as much time as needed to treatment without forcing a forfeit of the match.

/mats

6. X-Alex-X

X-Alex-X Regular Member

Thank you for all your contributions :D They have helped me greatly :)