Doubles non serving partner position on court rule.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by asmd6230, Jan 21, 2011.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

hi guys...

long time lurker, finally registered as i have a question im hoping to get cleared.
    in doubles, can the non serving partner stand in the same serving box as the server?
    or must he have one foot in his own service box?

bwf rules state: "9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver"

but is it a fault if both the server and non serving partner stand completely in the servers service box?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I haven't read the rules in depth, but I don't think there is any specific rule about the servers partner standing anywhere. I think they are free to stand wherever they like, though it is tactically better not to both be stood on the same side.
    Somebody else may know the specifics

3. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Almost free placement

The non serving partner is free to stand anywhere on court as long as she/he isn't obstructing the receiving opponent from a clear view of the serve. The interpretation of the rule isn't more complicated than that.

So no need to stand in the same serving box neither in the other serving box nor with a foot in both. Choose the position which give you the best tactical advantage.

Take a look at some Xd games and you'll see that when the male is serving the female player is standing infront off to the side (sometimes leaning aside) to not obstruct the receiver but still covering the net to be able to intercept shortstop returns.

/mats

#3 wirre, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Thanks guys for clearing that up.
    Its much appreciated.