different string tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jon.saunders, Mar 28, 2003.

1. jon.saunders

jon.saunders Regular Member

Teacher
    Does it take a while for you arm and wrist to get used to a higher tension? When I had a racket restrung at 22ib's I noticed I was getting arm and wrist ache for a week and then it went. I couldn't understand this but recently I have been playing with a Swing Power SS and I have had the same type of pain - I think this is factory strung at 23Ib's. Could such small variances in tension cause these types of problems?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

It's possible... I didn't feel any pain going from 18lb to 24lb in a warm gym, but I did get sore (near pain maybe?) when I went from 22lb to 24lb in a cold gym. Maybe it's the way temperature affects string tensions... or maybe it's because warming up is more important when it's cold... or maybe it's something else altogether?

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I guess it can. I had my racquet done at 23lbs and felt my wrist was getting really tired. I think it just takes some time to get used to. After 2 weeks of use I totally forgot that I had pains with that combo!

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's very possible to get the feeling of sore & tired when u going to a higher tension or more stiff racket frame.

Most of my rackets were first strung around 20 lb. The first time I went up to 22*24, man, not only I feel tired (wrist + arm) very easily, but also could not generate too much power as well as control. After about 3-5 hrs, things started to getting better.

When u can consistently play with the higher tension, u know u r officially into another lvl. ;)

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

There's a thread round here somewhere where we were talking to a Danish team member (runner23?) about tension, and he said it was very important to have strong muscles to use high tensions.

The higher the tension the more shock and vibration you get in your arm when you hit the shuttle. Off centre hits will be more noticeable.

If you increase tension and lose power, it's important not to try to hit it harder by brute force. You need to keep your arm and muscles relaxed or they will be working against you and make things worse.

6. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

How important is it to get the right string tension on your racket? Will it really affect my game if i get it wrong?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As long as u r in ur reasonable range, it should not be a huge impact. However, if u r way off, well, what can i say...

For myself, I consider 19-24 is my range, I did try my friend's racket with 26+, and I think if I can play with that racket, I can also play baseball well.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well you are trying to find the best settings you play at. If you set something that you can't utilize then it'll just mess up your game.

9. jon.saunders

jon.saunders Regular Member

Teacher
    I played with the racket again tonight and my wrist really hurt again - I think that it isn't the tension since it is the original factory tension. The racket feels head heavy and I ussually play head light or even balanced. Plus I injured my wrist a few years ago while mountain biking and this might be affecting it.