Challenging line calls in Badminton

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Sampat, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Sampat

Sampat Regular Member

Why is there no challenges to the umpire's decision on line calls in international matches just like tennis. Any reason?

2. krysser

krysser Regular Member

There is no hawk eye system in badminton, I guess that is part of the reason

/Krysser

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Go back 30 years in tennis and there was no hawkeye system. Everything was done by line judges and there were a lot of disputes!

Hawkeye is not here in badminton..yet. If and when the prize money gets bigger, then that day will come closer.

4. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well 30 years ago there were no challenge rule in tennis eighter.
    But I have seen alot of disputes in badminton on calls by any court offical, it is not uncommon.

/Krysser

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    You are allowed to challenge a decision, but unless the umpire was close enough to see it and if he disagrees with the line judge it is not very likely to get overturned. Also repeated attempts to challenge linecalls can result in Yellow, Red and Black cards.

The problem with getting a Hawkeye system for badminton is that some of the venues are not specifically Badminton venues. The All England venue (NIA in Birmingham) is used for music and other sports. And to set up and calibrate hawkeye I think would be quite an issue.

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No need for a bird eye in badminton. This topic has been discussed before here at BC. In badminton a line camera is sufficient to help an umpire. Its cheap and easy to install.

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    One issue with Hawkeye is the shape of the shuttle. In tennis, the ball is round, pretty easy for hawkeye to get a consistent shape pattern on impact with the surface, regardless of direction of travel.

But with a shuttle, any part of the shuttle could hit the floor first, either the cork or the feathers. With the cork being the smaller part of the shuttle, it could hit outside the line while the actual shuttle feathers follow a moment later by clipping the line, thus possibly registering a hit on the line by hawkeye, when the shuttle should have been called out.

The shuttle could also be travelling sideways instead of longitudinal, which varies the pattern upon impact with the floor.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yup thats another problem with hawkeye. Thats why a line camera is the best for badminton.

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Going back to the original question posted by the starter, i also wonder why BWF is reluctant to introduce a line camera which for example its already been use in sports like rugby, bike race, etc. This is againts the fact that there are so many bad call in important matches, that sometimes i only laugh seeing those. At the end of the day, those line judges are just human with human eyes, how on earth they can get it 100% right all the time, thats impossible. To me that means BWF is saying that they can live with those errors and injustice is part of human life. Perhaps we can compare the situation where in football they are pushing the idea of goal line technology, but FIFA is still also reluctant to do. Again I dont know why, is it because of the cost??

10. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Hmm well my guess is that they are abit worried about the reaction from umpires and line judges.
    I know that the line judges was anything but happy when they gave the umpire the power to overrule them.
    Also they could be worried about if this would suddenly create a lot of interruptions in the game.

/Krysser

11. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    I think the Hawkey-challlenge system has done wonders in tennis, with regard to interruptions due to - often futile arguments - over line calls. (or players are better tamed these days)
    I recall having seen a line-cam system with 3 challenges per game from a Danish tournament (or the badminton league not sure).
    In one game Peter Gade got all steamed up over a "hopeless" line call. After the Slow Re-play, Peter Gade went to the line judge and bowed in apology. Everybody laughed and playing proceeded with both players and all judges happy.

Line Cams? Yes please.
    Net Cam? Yes please. (mostly for the often fantastic replays of the top players amazing net skills)
    Service Cam? YES please.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    we don't have that 'you can't be serious' guy... ;)