What to do if you don't agree on score?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Dauntless, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Dauntless

Dauntless Regular Member

Hi,

I couldn't find it in the BWF rulebook: What do you do if you can't agree on the current score? (Fe I think it's 10-10 while my opponent thinks it's 10-11 or something). Where does it say this in the rules ?

Also, probably with the same answer: What do you do if you don't agree on a let ? Like yesterday, my opponent could perfectly see when I hit the shuttle outside on the back end of this court by 1 inch, but when he hit it outside on my back end by a foot, he wouldn't believe me. I should have of course not picked up the shuttle until he agreed, but hey, I thought it was so obvious that that wouldn't matter. He almost wanted to call let and I of course wouldn't have given it. But what would have happened then ? (Oh yeah, the shuttle fell straight down and it almost didn't move after hitting the floor. It was REALLY obvious)

I heard from someone the set (or match?) would have to start over, but I couldn't find it in the rules ?

Thanks !

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If it is a tournament, ask the tournament referee for an umpire..

If it is social/practice game, either the guy believes you or you stop playing with him.

you won't find the scoring issue in the rules book because the umpire is in charge of the score.

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If it's a tournament and you can't agree on the score, the best thing to do to make certain it never happens is to announce loudly the score between each point.
    If it does end up as an argument always say you are 100% certain of the score. If they say 'maybe' 'I think' say that they clearly aren't certain where as you are. Petty I know, but it works.

With regards to the hitting it out part. It is your responsibility to watch the lines on your side of the court. If it goes out and you can see the shuttle then your call stands, unless it is blatantly in and they can see it then they'll argue. Some players question calls very often in order for you to award them the point or to make you doubt yourself later on for a close call. It's gamesmanship but some players resort to it.
    The set or match wouldn't have to start over, it is your call to make and if you get it wrong then it's unfortunate, but it happens all the time. The best way to avoid an argument, is to make yourself look very confident in your call, if they question you tell them it was out, then get ready to serve.

A let can be called, if you and your opponent could not see the shuttle land. If you are blocking the line of sight from opponent to shuttle, but you are facing the net and the shuttle drops behind you. If neither of you see it, then play it again. Or on a really tight shot, where you genuinely don't know if it was in or not, you can ask your opponent what they thought, if they are unsure you can play a let. (you don't have to offer them their view on the line call, it's just often in these cases you're being a good sportsman)

4. Dauntless

Dauntless Regular Member

Thanks for your responses.

About the scoring: I actually announce the score loud and clearly in a single match (and it has happened that the other guy was complaining and I said that I announced his correct score for over 5 points and that he should have complained earlier) but I actually forget to do this at a doubles match... weird. But what if both parties are 100% sure? Aren't there any rules for this ?

Here in Belgium, we also have a regular competition like in soccer. With different divisions and clubs playing against each other. Not all divisions have umpires and its not like you can just walk away or not play them again. (I don't know if this kind of competition also exists in other countries ?)

About the lines: WOW! That's totally not how it goes on here :D. If I call it out (on my side) and my opponent says it's in, it's a 'let' and that's that ... Maybe I should look into the specific guidelines for my country then ?

Does it say in the WBL rules who gets to decide the 'in/out' ?

#4 Dauntless, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Not sure of the official wording, but I have always played that you call for your side of the net and the opponent calls for theirs.

If you are sure it's out, then it is out. If I think it's out, but am not 100% sure, I'll suggest a let. If my opponent won't accept that, the let becomes out. If it's very close, I say in. It's not worth arguing over half a cork's width.

As for the score, if there is a disagreement, you must go back to the last score that you agreed on. E.g. if the last score that you can agree on is 5-3, then that's what you go back to, regardless of whether you/they thought it was 13-3 or 5-12.

You will always get some people who will try and bend the rules their way. Some of them do it accidentally (e.g. bad eyesight)! The most important thing is to keep calm and stand up for yourself without being antagonistic.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Stop playing is the answer

I agree with Cheung's post;

If both sides/opponents are not going to agree, then let the match be terminated.

And let another match be started. :cool::cool::cool:

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Give a let and move on... ;)

8. Dauntless

Dauntless Regular Member

Would you really give a let if the opponent hits it (fe) 5 feet out and insists it's in?

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    lol. let means. replay... ;) Next time use a video. Like what I do... instant replay. lol. ;) Since bwf can't do it, other people can. lol. ;) Those lazy buggers just don't know how to make use of technology given. Can't even do simple streaming on their website. ;) aha.. a bit out of topic but hope bcers keep on pushing them proactively. ;)