Help neede in choice of string tension on an Apacs Tantrum 300

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by P.Jiu, Jan 25, 2011.

1. P.Jiu

P.Jiu Regular Member

Hello!

I am going to buy an apacs tantrum 300 soon. I need advises on string choice and tension.
    I consider myself an intermediate double player. I am more of an offensive player, the hard hitter kind, but also likes to play defensive, and net shot.
    I play 3 times a week and 3-4 hours per session.

I own 4 different rackets:

-Carlton Vapour Trail Tour NBG 95 12 Kilos(26/27Lbs)( I use it when I am tired after 3 hours of play, and like this racket when it comes to double games against offensive players)

-Yonex Nanospeed 7700 NBG 95 11 Kilos(24-25LBS)(my go to racket loves it in double and sometimes in single)

-Yonex Armortec 50 Head(equivalent of NBG 95) 11 Kilos(24-25LBS) Bought this one as a test racket to see if I could handle stiff racket. I was so afraid not being able to clear baseline to baseline.
    It ended up ok. Used to be my go to racket even in doubles for 3 months.

-Yonex Armortec 250 BG 85 13 Kilos(28-29Lbs) Bought it as a test racket to see if I can play with Higher Tension. Clears are very nice, but I prefer not to play more than 45 minutes with it(afraid of tennis elbow, it happened to me when I played 3 hours straight with it) Other than that, I just loved the net play with this tension.

I don't really like NBG 95, I find it slippery.
    Now my main concern is getting the right tension for my new racket. I plan to use BG 80 on it, I am not sur if 12 Kilos(26/27Lbs) would be too stiff or not?
    Thank You in advance for your advises! :)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    First of all the BG80 is a good choice. I like it much and it's my go to string. I find the Nanogy 98 slippery too, so I switched to BG80. It's a string with a high repulsion
    The diameter of NBG95 is 0.69mm, the BG is 0.68mm thin. You use different tensions on your rackets. The decision can be made by theory.
    The Tantrum 300 is head heavy and stiff, so I think you are able to handle the BG80 at 12 kg. But what about your tennis elbow? You wrote that you have problems with it when you play with the setup of your AT250.
    Do you thing it's caused by the high tension? I would decrease the tension if you have problems with your elbow. 11kg is not a too loose tension and comfortable to play. 12kg will might suit you, but it's all depends on you. A stringing job is not forever and tension will be lost. You can increase and decrease next time. Give the BG80 at 12 kg a try. Tension decrease by time. So you can notice if 12kg is too high for you with the BG80 or not. There is no possibility to give you the right answer, because it depends on you, your strength, technique, liking and many more.

3. P.Jiu

P.Jiu Regular Member

Thank you for taking time to reply ucantseeme :)

I will have it stung at 26Lbs which is slightly under 12 Kilos. And will adjust more or less 1 Lbs next time the racket has to be strung.
    BTW, are there many badminton fans in Germany? Which part of germany are you at?

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    There are some badminton players and clubs, but the clubs are small and have only a few members. It's not verys popular and most people think badminton is like backyard shuttler. I'm from Nordrheinwestfalen near Dortmund.