ISO TI SP (SS)/ BG-65ti!!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by MRJ, Mar 17, 2003.

1. MRJ

MRJ Regular Member

IT
    ISO TI SP (SS), Right Racket??

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Yonex ISO TI SP (SS). I'm yet to play with it and i'm hoping i've made the right decision :( . I play Doubles mostly at an intermediate level and see my self as more of a net and control player rather than offensive, although the offensive part of my game i'm looking to improve on so went with the (SS) rather than the (SR) as was told (SS) would probably be more suitable. I currently have the UK standard 20 lbs tension fitted with string type bg 68ti.

My previous racket was an ISO 50 MF which i didn't like at all :mad: and by reading some reviews on here it seems to be common ground.

Other singles/ doubles players views on the (SS) would be appreciated and for the type of Doubles player i am, is my string tension and type suitable in other people's opinions.

MRJ.

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

The only answer is your answer after you tried it out. You'll have to experiment between different tensions and the TiSP is a very nice racquet and I think you'll like it!

3. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Hi.

Im am what you may call a "veteran beginner" and Ive had my Iso Ti SS for 2 years now (before that I used its precursor, the Iso 900 SS) and have bought 2 rackets to "replace" it since then.

The funny thing is that every time im in a tournament (small-time inter-club stuff), when the chips are down I put down my pricey MP99 and take up my old friend, the Iso Ti SS =)

Every time I play with the Iso SS I cant help thinking I would want to trade just a LITTLE of its speed for some more power, but I cant seem to find a racket that does that.

I thought the MP99 was close. But the fact that it is an evenly balanced racket and not head-heavy as the ISO Ti SS means the feel is different.

The Iso Ti SX and the Mp100 are very stiff and for all their being 3U, are still hard to swing over to the backhand.... I saw an SX on sale here in Manila for about USD170, and I'm thinking about it.... even though I dont think it will end my search...

4. Java

Java Regular Member

I have in my bag TI-SP (SX, SS) & ISO900-SS. I tend to use the TI-SX for singles and MD; the TI-SS I use for MXD.

I found the SX not overly stiff but with fairly good smashing power. I find the SS to be a bit head-lighter resulting in quicker swings.

I played with a MP-99 for about a month and couldn't do much with it. I found the the head/shaft to be heavier/stiffer than the SX. Perhaps it was the G4 grip size. I rather like the smaller version (G4.5) of the TI-SP models offered in the US.

J.

5. lwls

lwls Regular Member

is there really a big difference of smash power between SS and SX???
    or just a little bit of feeling???

i am using SS now.....
    and i want to buy one more racket (MP99/TISP(sx))
    so can't decide which one to buy
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    some reflections in shifting from an SS to an MP99.

If you get a 2U the weight difference is profound.

While their overall lengths are the same the SS has a longer shaft than the MP99. The length of the MP99 comes from a long grip.

The SS is head heavy while the 99 is even balanced.

The MP99 seems slightly slower in moving from forehand to backhand.

Funny thing is I hurt my wrist when I swing the 99 like my SS =)

hope this helps

7. lwls

lwls Regular Member

oh...thank you......

and how much is the MP99 in ur country...???

8. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    I dont even want to consider buying genuine Yonex rackets in this country.

I source my rackets either from Hong Kong or from knowledgeable friends coming from other ASEAN nations like Thailand (yes yes, fake central, I know).

The MP99 here reached a peak price of maybe $220 when it was introduced. I dont see any on sale anymore. I saw an MP100 being sold for less than $180 or so last week.

9. NL-player

NL-player Regular Member

Hi,

To MRJ: I think you bought the best racket. I've had the SR before (6 months ago) but it crashed. I wanted more or less the same racket, but a little heavier so i ended up with the SS. Really good, also in my singles. I use the Ashaway Microlegend string which is good for me.

How much did you guys pay for the SwingPower racket?
    Mine was €110,- . I bought it via the web (dutch site).

10. MRJ

MRJ Regular Member

IT
    Hi all,

Thanks for some of your feedback regarding the ISO TI SP(SS), as of yet i've only had chance to have a small go with it and it certainly feels different to my previous ISO 50 MF racket. The sound of the racket swing seems a lot more sharper and feels lighter than what i've been used to, i also feel when i'm used to this racket i'll be able to generate a lot more power than before. My only doubt about it currently is the strings which are BG65ti, i've read reviews on these that suggest there not great at control or net play etc, don't know what other SS racket players feel on this issue, i may have to consider the BG65 or 85 strings to obtain more control but we'll see.

As for how much i paid, well my SS cost me £80 from central sports based in the UK. I thought this was a good price. Have also recently purchased a pair of SHB-89MX shoes, would be good to hear other people's reviews on these Yonex shoes.

MRJ.:)

11. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    apparently, Yonex has changed the paint schemes on the later models.

they appear to be in a black/orange combo scheme.

my SS which I bought earlier has a black/blue/silver scheme

12. MRJ

MRJ Regular Member

IT
    Sorry to bore everyone with another swing power in the subject matter but as the (SS) is only my 2nd racket purchased since playing badminton more regularly i must say currently i'm well impressed :) , i find clearances and smashes far more easier to achieve than my previous yonex iso racket and my net play and control shots are comfortable also. Bought for £80 as well which i thought was a fair price.

A few queries though, currently i've the bg-65ti strings fitted with 20lbs tension, most people's review on this string does not make good reading stating net play and control are poor but so far i'm finding my net play and control to be fine, it seems most people prefer the BG-85 or 88ti strings for control and net play. Is it because my tension is not that high with this string type that i'm still able to gain decent control/ net play? or is my control/ net play likely to improve even more so if i changed to the 85 or 88ti strings?

Any views would be appreciated.

MRJ.

13. DanielLou

DanielLou Regular Member

Student
    I use BG85 but mainly because it is powerful, and with my Cab graphite racket, it produce the best sound. It's quite thin .67mm and can be broken easily. I only play twice a week and if I am lucky it will last for maybe 6 weeks.

You may find more about string comparison in "product reviews":

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/newreviews/

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I don't think the BG65Ti is that great of a string. I really don't think any Ti string is worth buying other than the BG88Ti. Although never trying the 88Ti, I heard it generated alot of power and good control unlike most of the Ti strings due to its slippery coat (That's why you probably read alot of people had problems controlling the bird). And also, they lose tension fast. I had a player in my club use his racquet for one tournament and he said the strings then felt like 14 pounds or something.

My favourite strings out of the Yonex series is BG80. It lasted me 2 months before I had to change it due to a tear and I had an upcoming tournament coming up. Good control, excellent power, and durable! :)

How tight was it strung at? Mine at 21 pounds lasted 3 Saturdays (2 weeks).

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Overall, BG-85 is known for it's power (due to .67mm) and overall performance. BG 88Ti is a highly recommanded control type string, according to some experts. However, everyone has his/her own preference. Someone's meat could be someone else' poision.

Second, the skill is the most important factor in a game. Many top elites using plain BG65 and they are the champ, we are not. I also met some good players using $5 cheap metal rackets with crappy .80mm string, still beat the hell out of me.

So, as long as u feel comfortable, u can keep the string for now. However, once it snaps, or u start to feel a improvement on equipment is a must, then, choose ur favorite choice which within ur $$$ range.

16. DanielLou

DanielLou Regular Member

Student
    used to be 22lbs, now 20lbs. Just can't afford that much. :( Recently I tried BG68Ti on one racket, nothing good. Soon I will try BG80.