Backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Badmin_96_swe, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Badmin_96_swe

Badmin_96_swe New Member

Hi, i'm 14 years old now and i can't do that backhand clear, the problem is when i play double, when i'm back they allways trying to make me play backhand, and i just do the dop all the time, my only opportunity is to wait the ball to come down and then hit the balla like a base ball, but that's bad and i can't put the shot exactly where i want it.

So !
    How should i do to clear with my backhand ? i guess it is some strenght but not only, so please give me some tricksNtips

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    By far the most important thing IMO, is to get well behind the shuttle, and play it before it drops. If you're hitting the shuttle low and behind you, it makes it almost impossible to generate any power.

Having said that, if you're reaching the shuttle early and having to wait for it to come down, as you say you are, then you'd be better off playing a 'round-the-head forehand shot anyway - there's no reason you couldn't play a smash, instead of resorting to a defensive shot like a clear.

#2 Sketchy, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  3. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

its funny that you made this thread because i was about to make a thread about this as well.

i juts read up on badminton bible regarding the bevel grip on backhand overheads, based on the pictures provided, i see that the fingers are spread out.

are they supposed to squeeze when you hit the shuttle?

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grips/bevel-grip.php

4. visor

visor Regular Member

you have to imagine your arm like a whip

lead the stroke with your elbow, then extend and sharply supinate your forearm upon sharp striking, then instantly allow the racket to rebound

very important! there is almost no follow thru

having a relaxed arm is critical

so is a relaxed grip, with grip tightening at strike and immediately relax afterwards

5. visor

visor Regular Member

and as sketchy stated, the bird has to be taken high and slightly behind your racket shoulder, ie between the net and you, not between you and baseline

6. giant_q_tip

sorry if my question wasn't clear. I meant, in the picture I see that the fingers are spread apart, but should you squeeze the fingers togtether and close the gaps the moment you hit the shuttle?

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Trust your technique, and don't force it. If you can't clear it comfortably then there is probably something wrong somewhere.

8. giant_q_tip

well... i would trust my technique once i know im doing it right.. heh

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm planning to revise the grips guide so that all backhand grips have less space between the index and middle finger. I may also slightly reduce the spread for forehand grips.

In any case, you definitely want to tighten the grip when you hit the shuttle. This would typically include reducing or closing gaps between the fingers.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

I think the idea is to go from a relaxed grip to a tightened grip at moment of strike.

Don't be overly concerned with the spacing between the fingers as they will naturally be closer upon tightening.

11. Inconsistent

Inconsistent Regular Member

Student
    Why not try doing an around the head instead of a backhand? If your really in a position where a backhand must be played something is wrong...
    But if you insist on hitting a backhand I would recommend building up some strength into your forearms/wrist. You can do exercise with a water bottle filled with water and doing racquet motions.
    If you'd like to work on the technical aspect you could watch some instructional videos by Zhao Jian Hua on youtube, who has a few episodes demonstrating the correct backhand technique.

12. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    "Inconsistent
    Why not try doing an around the head instead of a backhand? If your really in a position where a backhand must be played something is wrong..."

You can NOT play doubles i you can't play a decent backhand.
    If for nothing else - then for smash returns...
    Agreed: Back hand clears on high lifts can (and should) be avoided.

But you need to be able to clear the shuttle with your back hand, when your opponents push their service returns towards your backhand - or directly towards your chest.
    There is NO WAY you can get all those with around-the-head unless you're Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic 4.

In my coaching experience the most common cause of powerlessness in the backhand is failing to lift/pull forward the elbow in the initial phase of the stroke.
    Instead the elbow is pulled into the ribs - leaving the tiny muscles on the upper side of your forearm to generate all the power. (hopeless task)

Instead: Lift the elbow towards the shuttle - then pull the elbow in the direction you want to the shuttle to go. Don't worry - hand and racket head will follow - they have no choice.

Finally: Try to hit the shuttle in front of your hand. (racket head closer to net than hand)

13. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    The shots you're talking about (smash/push/drive returns) are more like lifts than clears - these are much easier, as they're not true overhead shots, and you don't need to have your back to the net when you play them.
    If you're playing a backhand clear, that implies the shuttle is above shoulder height, and in that case you definitely *can* (and in the case of doubles, usually should) play a 'round the head shot.

14. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    To be honest with you in doubles you shouldnt use the backhand to often, only odd time when u get stuck on opposite side of court and ur partner doesnt step back to cover the backhand side.

Try to take overhead. On service (ur partners), side slightly on the backhand side. I stand half a step toward the backhand side behind my partner who is serving so If it goes to my backhand side, I can move fast enough to go around it.

There wil be times you get stuck and the advice above is great. Get the elbow up pointing to shuttle. Arm relaxed and its like whipping a towel in the changing rooms in school. That whipping effect. Have the right grip and try to hit the shuttle as high as possible without stretching and also try to hit the shuttle above u or if you can slightly in front of you.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

This is interesting aspec of backhand. I have been taught with and without follow through. I haven't ever seen a pro on youtube use the rebound method though.

Can someone explain the pros and cons of both methods? Why are they both taught?

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Watch more closely, especially in slow motion. There is usually (always?) a rebound action -- although not necessarily a large rebound.

The initial hitting action for a backhand clear must use an extremely limited follow-after movement (i.e. almost "stop" at impact). When recovery is urgent, as with a backhand smash, the player should try to turn the body back into court immediately after hitting the shuttle -- making this turning movement almost part of the hitting action. This gives the appearance of a larger follow-after movement, as though playing a drop shot.

What's really happening is that the body-turning recovery makes the arm appear to take a "full" follow-after movement. The actual arm movement is still limited with a relatively sharp stop.

At least, that's the best analysis I currently have.

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I disagree (with regard to the rebound action). I'll try and get some examples...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPnUIrFgQZM&feature=fvsr @ 2:46

The differences I what I have been told is 'all in the wrist' (where have I heard that before? :D). When I say follow through, I'm really just meaning that suppination is completed as opposed to some arm action.

#17 amleto, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majwkB689gg @ 1.29 shows the rebound / hit-stop motion.

@3.06 shows more supination, but its not a clear

[video=youtube;majwkB689gg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majwkB689gg[/video]

#18 amleto, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

sorry for message spam - would be easier if I could edit posts...

full supination clear from lcw @ 6.20 [video=youtube;K2DFRa2c7Y8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2DFRa2c7Y8[/video]

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's hard to inspect that properly, as the camera cuts away too soon. Again, slow motion is better.

The backhand clear follow-after movement is not limited in forearm supination, and neither is it limited in external rotation of the upper arm. Both of these may be performed towards the full range of motion.

Rather, the backhand clear action is limited in shoulder flexion. In other words, the shoulder movement is naturally limited when playing backhands because the shoulder doesn't go that far. Attempting to force this movement leaves you trying to create power at the extreme edge of your shoulder's range of motion, which is not effective and could perhaps lead to injury.

#20 Gollum, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011