Please help me pick a racket :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kelvinyap9, Jan 26, 2011.

1. kelvinyap9

kelvinyap9 Regular Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here so hopefully I'm posting with the proper etiquette :S

So I'm back in Malaysia for holidays at the moment (migrated to Australia from Malaysia) and I'm thinking of buying a new badminton racket.

Seeing as Chinese New Year is getting closer, and getting red packets with money in them can get me a new racket, I thought "why not?"

-----

Anyway, I've been playing badminton ever since I was about 11 in primary school (in Malaysia) and this last year I'm 15 (turning 16 this May). In those 4 years I reckon my badminton skills have improved a lot and I've been playing for my high school's badminton men's doubles team (in Australia) yesteryear and last year.

This year, I'm getting more involved into playing a little bit more than my past 2 years but not too often. Perhaps maybe twice a month or so.

Right now I'm using a Yonex Muscle Power 30 stringed with a Yonex BG-85 (not sure about the tension, I'm guessing 23lbs. or so) and I don't seem to find it too comfortable. I'm guessing it's the grip because I feel it's quite thick for me. Haven't tried with a thinner grip but I'd rather buy a new racket first and try when I get back in Australia.

-----

By the way, I came across this thread and I saw some pointers/questions for me to answer before you guys can assist me further from here:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-equipment-question-in-BadmintonForum.com-***

-----

GRIP

1. Do you like tacky or smooth grips?
    I seem to prefer tacky ones, as I like the slightly damp/mushy feeling.

2. Do you like hard or soft grips?

Not too sure about this one, as I don't understand what hard and soft grips are :/

My guess is I may prefer a soft grip.

3. Do you know what overgrip is, if not then think about it ;P

Also not too sure about this one, but I'm leaning towards a grip being placed over another grip.

4. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?

For grip, I think something that doesn't leave my hands sore and with the "bruised feeling" and is comfortable then I'm perfectly fine with it. I seem to like the Karakal PU Super Grips though. They're like RM5 or so.

5. Do you sweat a lot?

My hair is of medium-long length, so I guess I do.

RACKET

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?

Probably a couple of times a month. I'm sort of an advanced player for my age group I would say, because I understand the rules and basics of the sport.

I would say my footwork is decent, but nothing close to perfection.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)

I'm not a muscular person. Would consider myself anorexic as I'm only about 51kg, so I'm probably more of a defensive person. I can catch smashes coming to me/other side of me frequently though, so I'm guessing I have quite a fast reflex.

I usually only smash (with a medium-low success rate) if the shuttle is close to the back lines, and I drop quite a lot to the opponent's side if we're having one of those "I drop, you drop, I drop again" kind of plays. If you understand what I mean :/

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?

Would prefer a balance of both, but with performance of a higher priority, if that's possible. Just don't want something that will break in like, a couple of months. My Muscle Power 30 has lasted me since I was around 13 years old.

I haven't broken a racket before, so I guess I'll be alright. My past/present rackets have only been Yonex Muscle Power 25 (stolen when I carelessly left it in the park) and Yonex Muscle Power 30 (still have this). Thinking a higher number would affect my play greatly, I was wrong :(

I was about 13 back then, so I didn't really know much.

4. How much money do you want to spend?

Most likely the maximum I want to spend is probably RM250 including the grip + string. I have a spare BG-85 string back in Australia and I don't think I know how to use it well since it seems to be more for hard hitters (which I'm not) :(

I think I'm leaning towards the BG-66 for my next string as I see Lee Chong Wei uses it and it seems to be quite durable (or am I confusing this with the BG-65?)

-----

Anyway, I've answered all questions and I noticed I wrote a whole heap. I apologize for that, and I hope it doesn't affect the way you feel about helping me out.

PS: I'll probably go purchase my racket maybe in a couple of days, so if there was a reason for me to wait for maybe new rackets coming soon, please tell me.

Also, if you can recommend a good badminton store that sells rackets for cheaper than usual around Klang/Bukit Tinggi/Bayu Perdana, please speak up as well :)

Thanks for all your help in advance, greatly appreciate it :)

Kelvin

2. kelvinyap9

kelvinyap9 Regular Member

-

#2 kelvinyap9, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016