User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good example is the Danish player Boe. Look at the Danish Open 2012. Playing against KKK and TBH he took a ridiculus amount of time to serve. It was almost long enough for the receiver to grow roots from his feet. I think this was his intention which is bordering on bad sportsmanship but the umpires let him get away with it.

As for the amount of time between rallies - some mens double pairs like Bo Mo and LYD JJS take forever to settle down. It takes the momentum away from the pair that is in the ascendency. The time from when the rally ends and service starts should be governed by more aware umpiring.
    Last edited by diverdan; 10-23-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ Boe and Ma Jin are the worst... when they serve, many times I thought there was a problem with the video feed causing it to pause for 5 secs! .

If they served to me, I would have tipped over and lost balance for having to wait so long.

And then there's the opposite end of the spectrum with Ko Sun Hyun who has practically no serve preparation at all... he just walks up to the service line and serves many times when the opponent is not even ready.
    Last edited by visor; 10-23-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't notice about Ko but Ricky Subagja was the foremost practitioner of sneaky service. He didn't look up when he served, catching opponents unaware in many instance.

At the slow end of the spectrum are Boe and Hirose who are taking forever to serve and rather irritating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    ^^ Boe and Ma Jin are the worst... when they serve, many times I thought there was a problem with the video feed causing it to pause for 5 secs! .

If they served to me, I would have tipped over and lost balance for having to wait so long.

And then there's the opposite end of the spectrum with Ko Sun Hyun who has practically no serve preparation at all... he just walks up to the service line and serves many times when the opponent is not even ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In dealing with undue delay we must distinguish between time consumption before the server has taken up his position to serve and time consumption after the server has done so. In the first case, we have a misconduct case which, when recommendations have no effect, constitutes a delay of play and that is a yellow card offence. Using too much time after the server has taken up his position, is a normal fault which, when called, will give the receiver a point.

There are no time limmits, but the main criterium is that the purpose of any action in between rallies should be to resume play. Basically this means that after a rally has ended, the server gets the shuttle, goes to his position, focusses, and delivers the service.

At any time during a match any time consumption should be in line with the general average in that match. In dealing with this aspect of the game, the umpire uses his better judgement.
    Last edited by Erik L.; 10-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ Thanx for clarifying.

Now a hypothetical case: what if I combine all the worst characteristics of Boe/ Ma Jin (taking 5 secs to serve from the prepared racket), of BoMo (taking 20 secs in between points to get ready by patting each other, high fiving a few times), and Joachim Fisher's double action serve?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it looks like this happened around 48:00 to Ma Jin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msGOR1wocwk

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ In that SF match vs Adcock/Bankier near match point? I think the umpire was fed up (as was I) with Ma's length of time taken to not only serve but also including her delay in hand signalling behind her back to her partner.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, from looking at that part (and only that part) the receiver was not ready yet when she was brushing the shuttle and signaling to her partner.

9.1 In a correct service,
    9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server’s racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;

As for the call itself; it's a judgemental call, and I only watched that part. The umpire has the best feel for the flow of the game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haven't watched the whole game, so can't tell if ma jin took too long during the match.

but that last call is just ridiculous. in that situation she doesn't take a very long time, pretty standard serve imho...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raceto21 View Post
    its nice to know that CANTSMASHTHIS and (possibly) SERVICEOVER are umpires. i will definitely put more attention on your posts.
    kinda off topic ( but just like the delay of service rule i want to have a clearer definition on and have one formulated) - there should also be a rule against a player BLOWING HIS NOSE on the sidelines- a practice i find unsanitary and disgusting to me as a spectator.

i believe if you elevate the standards then you elevate the game! thanks for everyones reply.
    Lin Dan is a totally different beast, LOL

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i saw a mixed doubles game recently with Ma Jin and Ko Sun Hyun. it was funny cos Ma Jin would take her sweet time and Ko Sun Hyun the receiver almost faulted but he was experience in that he kept his feet planted and only bent the knees.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ Thanx for clarifying.

Now a hypothetical case: what if I combine all the worst characteristics of Boe/ Ma Jin (taking 5 secs to serve from the prepared racket), of BoMo (taking 20 secs in between points to get ready by patting each other, high fiving a few times), and Joachim Fisher's double action serve?
    shoot i laughed out loud.........at work!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Thanx for clarifying.

joachim seems to have removed the double action from his serve motion now

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    joachim seems to have removed the double action from his serve motion now
    i wonder if it actually helps him with his serve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as it is within the rule.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3