Recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by flailingarms, Jan 29, 2011.

1. flailingarms

flailingarms Regular Member

Student
    First of all, Hello to all those on the forum~ I have been reading the forum and leeching the collective wisdom on here for some time and am very appreciative, but have never found the need to register lol. Now I have XD.

I am now searching for a new racket, one that would suit me a bit better maybe? I currently play with the Apacs Z-slayer - 3rd gen Silver UK. So it's an even balance, edging on head heavy; Medium stiff flex; 84-86g frame weight; 675mm length. I string at 29-30 lbs, but am quite happy using 26-27lbs, with BG80s. I've decided to go racket hunting due to being told that my racket flexes too much when I smash -which I have noticed myself (Plus I broke one of my two slayers, so a replacement).

I play at University and upper club level - not that it says much about me. I play doubles almost exclusively where I tend to be on the offensive at the back just as much as at the front - due to playing XD and MD. I love smashing, lots. Something that helps improve my smash would be nice:p

Essentially I would like something that can cope with my high power output and fast swing speed (*If I may say so myself), but not detract from net play and ease of movement - i.e. less head heavy? Part of the reason I like my slayer is because of the thin head - almost classical head - which really does make a difference in my swing speed, So I wanted to buy the Z-Slash (possibly due to falling into the 'faster smashes' marketing trap:D), but as I am a student and it being £150 it is somewhat unreachable (on top of being risky due to my liking of high tensions). Does anyone have recommendations of alternatives?

p.s. I do realise that the problem could well be solved by buying a stiff/ XS racket maybe, but there are just too many and any contribution would be greatly appreciated!
    Oh and I realise full well that 30lbs is not a clever or 'big:cool:' tension to pick, but it's what I'm most comfortable with and it drives me nuts when my serves fall short of the service line with lower tensions. Plus I love the sound it makes~

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    So in summary (correct me if I'm wrong):

* Extra stiff
    * Even-balance or slightly head-heavy
    * Strong & durable frame
    * Cheap (so not Yonex)
    * Available in the UK

For "budget" options, I'd probably suggest the Ashaway 7000SQ (£50), or one of the SOTX woven series. If you can stretch to £80-100 you have loads more choice - way too many rackets to list.
    Obviously I have to suggest the Ultra Pro too ;)

3. flailingarms

Student
    I looked up the 7000sq, it sounds brilliant. Power - Check, Swing speed - Check! But is it me or does it actually say Flexible on direct sports? 59mm = flexible? Thank you so much though!

Though, should I be able to stretch to near £100 what would you suggest, like a top 5 if possible?

And, I swear I read somewhere that the T2v2 had the same shaft length as a Z-slash, or did I imagine that (but I am doubtful that the extra cm will increase my smashing - despite the overwhelming desire to own a z-slash)? I have been following the Panda thread and development for some time and the desire to buy one of them has crossed my mind several times~

4. flailingarms

Student
    Oh and er... will the 7000sq be able to cope with 28-30lbs? I've done some research and I'm aware that the suggested is up to 25lbs, but higher is possible - but just how much higher is ok? If it does turn out to be a great racket - I'd like to be able to string up to 30lbs as I normally do...
    (Lastly, apologies for being such a chatty poster - I end up typing exactly what is running in my head, so ends up being a string of gibberish ^^)

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

How about a Carlton Vapor Trail Elite then, it's got a tweener headshape as well ...

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Vapour Trail Elite is a good suggestion, if you can afford it. Maybe the Victor BS10 too?

The Kevlar 7000SQ is not flexible - don't know how direct sports arrived at that conclusion (and if you look at the Z-Slash on the same site, the flex values are only different by 1mm). I think it would take high tensions, but you'd void your warranty - it's the same for most brands (most Yonex rackets have a max recommended tension of around 24lbs, but people routinely string them much tighter than that).

I'm not certain about the shaft length of Trinity 2 vs Z-Slash, but it does have a short handle (as do other Panda Power rackets), so I think you're probably right. If you were to order one now, it would probably have to be either a Trinity Pro (slightly stiffer than T2, and with different graphics, but otherwise the same) or an Ultra Pro (stiffer and harder-hitting, but not as quick).

7. flailingarms

Student
    Thank you so much~ I think I've narrowed it down to the BS10 or the 7000SQ. I had to pass on the Panda Power - as reluctant as I am, due to time pressures - Match coming up and I wish to wield it soon. I may well invest in one some time later on though, they sound too good to truly pass on.
    The sad thing is that the BS10 is double the price - meaning out I'm losing out there. But if it is as good as it sounds - review wise - then I think it will be worth it. Lol was offered a AT900T, but having played with one before and a AT700, I would like to try a Victor. But no reason otherwise XD.

8. stupendous_man

stupendous_man New Member

I used the 7000SQ last season - now using a BS11, although coincidently also just ordered a BS10.

For the price, the 7000SQ is a great racket, really can't fault it. In fact, after buying mine last year 3 guys at my club went and bought one as well, so I guess that's testament to how good it is.

Saying that, I do prefer my BS11, its head heavier & heavier than the 7000SQ but it swings so fast that you don't really notice it when playing, although I would say that the shaft isn't as stiff so its not quite as crisp. The BS10 is supposed to be stiffer & slightly head lighter than the BS11, so I imagine its actually somewhere between the two.