Smashing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mesita1, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Mesita1

Mesita1 Regular Member

Athletes Foot
    I need some helpful tips for smashing.i have an Mp 77 strung with bg-66 at 23ibs and i need to work on my smahing technique. Ive been working on it lots but im just not good at it, i need tips fo technique and how to generate power. any excercises helpful tips or techniques are appreciated if mentioned.well please post your best solutions. thanks:) :D

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

What is your pre-smash stance? how do you follow through?

3. baddy.dude

baddy.dude Regular Member

IT
    smashing is the combined motion of properly transfering weight into your legs (your raquet leg), through the quick turning of your hip, and the snapping of your wrist... if you can maximize all 3 of those things in one motion.. you should have a pretty hard smash.... add in a jump to it and it should look even more powerful... don't forget you have to hit in the center of your raquet (the sweet spot) or else it's all a bunch of wasted energy.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here's a useful tip:

Use the search function by inserting the word 'smash'.

You'll find a number of useful threads;)

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I did a search. Apparently, that number is 1289. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Ian G.

Ian G. Regular Member

Hey, how do I improve my smashing skills? This is my situation, I have everything right in my smash, my backswing, my scissor/hitch kick, my jump(if its a jump smash), EXEPT that I keep on getting the shuttle kinda low that it doesnt go in and hits the net, sometimes I do it correctly and get the shuttle high so it has a great angle and trajectory but I sometimes I get it low, (this is how my trainor/coach observed it), my question is, how do I get myself used to getting the shuttle high and not low? :confused:

7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    PRACTICE!!!

The simple solution is practice, get ur coach to come up with a set of drills to help you improve, have a look at the Excelling at Badminton book on Jake Downey's website http://www.badmintonbooks.com

there are some good drills on here

hope this helps

Neil

PS always remember that there are no quick fixes.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Patience is a virtue;)

Plus, didn't you enjoy reading those posts?

9. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Racket leg????

So if I hold my racket with my right hand, is that supposed to mean my racket leg is my right leg?? Or are you talking about having a badminton racket for a leg?

10. baddy.dude

IT

your raquet leg, yes, if you swing with your right arm, then you are always shifting weight to your right leg... i thought that would sound obvious :)

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

How long have you been using BG66 at 23lb

Last week I got a racquet strung with BG66 for the first time. At 24lb. Within a day or two I also had a racquet strung with BG68Ti at 28lb.
    The BG66 felt slightly tighter than the BG68Ti (being thinner).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, are you used to high temsions?

regards,
    Neil

12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I'll tell you now that there is much more to smashing than just those three. Firstly, its how you grip your racket, your fingers play quite a bit in developing more power, your wrist controls the trajectory, your forearm pronation, shoulder swing, hip twist and body rotation all gives the power into your smashing.

For a beginner, you probably wouldnt want to worry too much about the finger bit, concentrate on how you swing your arm, forearm and wrist. All of them should move in one fluid motion like a whip. Some people pull down their wrist too much too early and that causes the shuttle to get stuck in the net. So yeah, keep practicing and perfecting your forearm pronation, arm swing and wrist.

13. baddy.dude

IT

yeah... i didn't go too much over the detail of the fingering.. i thought the above
    would be basic enough.... for beginners as for fingers... the second knuckle of your index finger should be pressing on the top of the bevel, and the first knuckle of the
    thumb should be pressing upwards.. that's the properly gripping for forehand
    (sorta like shaking hands with someone)...

14. Mesita1

Mesita1 Regular Member

Athletes Foot
    ya im not exactly a begginer , lol its just that some days have good smash powers others i got nothing im missing adn it must be my grip, i dont pay to much attention i just grip t...lol . but maybe if you sent a pic i coul gt a better visual ccause i understand what u mean about the thumb and stuff its just that im not positive im doing it right.well hey let me know thanks

15. baddy.dude

IT
    basically with the forehand grip, hold your raquet so it's head is
    perpendicular the the ground.. then pretend you are shaking hands
    with the bevel of the raquet.... when you swing, remember to
    keep your palms forward.. that is key...

16. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    Drills

Do some smash drills, and concentrate on reaching for the bird, as high as you can get it. You just gotta get the pattern and habit in your natural reaction.

17. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I would like to add that your position relative to the shuttle before you hit is also very important. Generally, the shuttle should be just in front of you at the moment of impact. This is very important if you want to get a good trajectory. Hitting the shuttle too late will result in a flat flight path.

-Rick

18. Mesita1

Mesita1 Regular Member

Athletes Foot
    im trying to get used to the grip you guys told me cause before i was holding it like a baseball bat but with one hand , and ive been playing for three years this way no wonder i coud only smash sometimes.SO im confused about what the bevels are and im not positive if im doing it right... my friend is confusing me about losining and tightning up. he also said to leave space in between my plm and three fingers. any 1 want to send an image of the correct way to do the grip and how you losten and tighten maybe describe it a little better.:confused: :confused: :confused:

#18 Mesita1, Apr 15, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2003
  19. baddy.dude

IT
    basically.... holding your raquet is exactly like shaking hands with someone.... should be like everytime you're swinging with your forehand... backhand is different... with backhand. you have to sorta twist the raquet so your thumb is on top..

20. Mesita1

Mesita1 Regular Member

Athletes Foot
    so you hlo your pinky ring and middle fingers together then im confused where you put your thumb and your index for forehand and backhand. it feels likt the grip isnt very secur in my hand when leave it loose with which fingr do i tighten with????:confused: :confused: