2011 Malaysian National Circuit (Feb 18-21): To be held in Kuala Terrengannu

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i might drive down to watch
    let see how it happen

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2011 Malaysian National Circuit (Feb 18-21)

Good if you can, and give us court-side news. :):):)

BTW, I thought you are still living in KL.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    chinese new year of course back hometown
    still considering

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Most likely that LCW will emerge as national champion for a 9th consecutive time

Wishing you A Happy Chinese New Year. !!! :):):)

At this tournament, it is most likely that LCW will emerge as national champion for a 9th consecutive time. It will be great if you can be there to witness it.

BTW, it is heard that Misbun Sidek will be there to help LCW to win.

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think missbun should be chongwei opponents' coach so that Datuk has a little bit more resistant to 9ine!!!!!!!!

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BAM said: Misbun Sidek to give full attention to Lee Chong Wei alone

Hahaha... Unfortunately, this is what BAM said today (Tuesday 01-Feb-2011);

“Our plan is to get Misbun to give full attention to Chong Wei alone while the other singles players may be put under Rashid’s care."

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/2/1/sports/7910563&sec=sports

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2011 Malaysian National Circuit (Feb 18-21): Hafiz Hashim to withdraw

Heard that Hafiz Hashim is almost certain to withdraw from this tournament

Source: http://bam.org.my/index.php?option=...ten-chong-wei&catid=46:latest-news&Itemid=181

Lee Chong Wei is the raging hot favourite to earn his ninth consecutive National Grand Prix Finals title, but unfortunately Hafiz Hashim is almost certain to withdraw from the Feb 18-21 tournament in Kuala Terengganu.

Chong Wei, unbeaten on the local circuit since 2003 and has won eight straight national crowns, has previously stated that he will want to make it a perfect 10 on the local scene before stepping aside to allow younger players to taste success.

This means the World No 1 is likely to play again next year and, after 2012, the tournament will once again become a level playing field where the younger players can expect to make a breakthrough.

Hafiz is expected to be an absentee as he will be playing in the Indonesian Professional League scheduled for Feb 19-27.

The tournament was originally scheduled for Feb 16-19 which would have allowed Hafiz to play in Terengganu but now he makes way for back-up player Kuan Kam Chung, the first reserve, to step in.

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/2/5/sports/7976376&sec=sports

PETALING JAYA: Shuttler Ong Soon Hock will take the first flight out after his wedding on Feb 17 for the National Grand Prix Finals in Terengganu, which will be held from Feb 18-21.

Soon Hock, who will be tying the knot with former national artistic gymnast Yap Yee Yin, does not want to throw away the chance of becoming a national doubles champion for the first time in his career.

Soon Hock and his partner Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari are the men’s doubles top seeds of the national premier event.

In the absence of top shuttlers Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, who did not qualify as a pair, Soon Hock-Fairuzizuan have a chance to live up to their top billing.

Soon Hock said the change in schedule had turned out to be a blessing for him.

“Initially, the GP Finals were slated from Feb 16-19 and fell right smack on my wedding day. Then, the host rescheduled it, much to my delight.”

“It will be a rush but it will be manageable. Hopefully, Fairuzizuan and I will be able to do well and live up to our top billing.”

Soon Hock-Fairuzizuan are currently ranked 41st in the world, thanks to their quarter-final appearance in the US$1.2mil South Korea Open in Seoul last week.

And so on...

Just want to ask, why are Fairuz/Ong Soon Hock the top seeds of the event? If I recall, they weren't a pair in the Kedah Open which was won by Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong. They were, the Perak Open champions while Mak/Tan did not participate. Now, a pair who has done well in both tournaments was Goh Wei Shem/Teo Kok Siang, who was runner-up and semi-finalists respectively. Therefore, I cannot understand why Fairuz/Ong Soon Hock are the top seeds? :confused: If world rankings were used, GWS/TKS should be top seeds, and should the 2-legs be used I believe that GWS/TKS are the top seeds too, while Mak/Tan and Fairuz/OSH are joint 2nd place..?

Anyway, good luck to them, I consider them on par with Mak/Tan and GWS/TKS now, let's see if they can justify their top billing.

The 4 favourites for the title : 1) Hoon Thien How/Tan Boon Heong 2) Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong 3)Mohd Fairuzizuan/Ong Soon Hock 4) Goh Wei Shem/Teo Kok Siang

#10 undeadshot, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why are Fairuz/Ong Soon Hock the top seeds of the event?

I am sure that our limsy and/or eaglehelang can provide the answer for us.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

According to list released by BAM, Fairuz/OSH are 1st seeds cos they have 400 pts and won more games, points than Mak/TWK
    http://www.bam.org.my/tournament/na...t/national_gp_finals/2010_Qualifiers_List.pdf

Mak/TWK are 2nd seeds due to less no of games & pts won. GWS/TKS had only 300 pts, 2 match difference, dunno how the organisers came up with that. Undeadshot, perhaps you can calculate it yourself to get your answer, me lazy to refer the 2 qualifying tourneys

#12 eaglehelang, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  13. undeadshot

Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong had only participated in the Kedah Open, winning all four of their matches (over Lutfi/Vountus, Gan/Tan, CPS/OJG and GWS/TKS). Fairuz/OSH won 3 matches + 1 walkover = 4 matches (over Chow/Khoo, KKK/Zakry, Lutfi/Vountus and w/o HTH/TBH)
    Fairuz/OSH had won all their matches in 2 straight games, giving them the edge over MHC/TWK. Therefore, them being seeded higher than MHC/TWK is appropriate.

HOWEVER, GWS/TKS had won 3 matches in Kedah(over KKK/OSH, HTH/TBH, Fuzzy) before losing to MHC/TWK in final. In Perak, they have won 2 matches (bye in first round, beat PZL/YHK)
    So the actual score is
    GWS/TKS 5
    Fairuz/OSH 4
    MHC/TWK 4

GWS/TKS should have been the top seeds!
    [If byes are not counted then they will actually fall to 3rd, perhaps this is the case. But Fairuz/OSH walkover HTH/TBH in final:confused:]

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope that limsy would agree with eaglehelang

Good info and calculation eaglehelang. :):):)

Hope that limsy would agree with you. :p:p:p

You two are our experts in MAS up-and-coming players.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

16. undeadshot

Liew Daren is injury-prone, Tan Chun Seang never healed since his injury when he was leading against Hsieh Yu-Hsin in Chinese Taipei...
    And Teo Kok Siang was already injured when playing in Korean Premier, now add a new injury also

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It looks like LCW will win the Mens Singles title the 9th consecutive time

National coach Rashid Sidek said that injuries to the back-up shuttlers were hampering his job of helping them narrow the gap on World No.1 Lee Chong Wei.

It looks like LCW will win the Mens Singles title the 9th consecutive time.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    which pair is what is is not my concern
    let see if my fave pair can win
    hehe

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

20. undeadshot

MS is actually quite interesting here if you don't look at the group winner only.

Group A, LCW to blast through. But interesting to see who will escape from being bottom as it is tough to predict who will beat who besides LCW match. Unlucky group for others besides LCW!
    Group B, Liew Daren should be safely through if his injuries aren't too bad, but Lim Fang Yang and Zulfadli Zukliffi can be expected to take advantage of a slip-up from Daren. [The outcome of the match between these two players will be interesting too]
    Group C isn't too interesting. It's either Tan Chun Seang or Chong Wei Feng, I pick Chong Wei Feng.
    Group D is the MOST INTERESTING GROUP. Chan Kwong Beng should be highly expected to go through but Arif and the dark horse Goh Soon Huat is there to spoil the party. I pick Goh Soon Huat! :D

MD

Group A, I take Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Soon/Ong Jian Guo to go through.
    Group B, I take Mohd Fairuzizuan/Ong Soon Hock and Hoon Thien How/Tan Boon Heong to go through.