User Tag List

Page 70 of 126 FirstFirst ... 20 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 120 ... LastLast
Results 1,174 to 1,190 of 2137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barca View Post
    Yoppy, to beat their opponents, high possession % has always been the crucial factor in Barca's game. No other team has better possession % when they play against Barca. In football the team who controls the ball for 60~70% of the time for sure has a much better chance of winning. Too bad that this game plan does not work for badminton.
    Oh yes you can translate that to: tempo control, creativity, technique, deciving and trick shoots, space creation, foot work, net domination, positioning and movement etc etc and all this is to create an oppotunity to excecute a killer blow, you know just like the one Messi Pedro and Villa did LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so there is no hope to find TH VT80 3U version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barca View Post
    Hi Raksasa, I bought it when I was in Bangkok last week.

ssj100, only 4U is available for VT80 in Thailand. They only have the lower weight version for their Yonex range.
    VT and AT (3U & 4U) - 4U
    NS and ARC (2U & 3U) - 3U

If I eventually want to get a 3U, I will either have to go for SP or JP coded over here in Malaysia.

Yoppy, to beat their opponents, high possession % has always been the crucial factor in Barca's game. No other team has better possession % when they play against Barca. In football the team who controls the ball for 60~70% of the time for sure has a much better chance of winning. Too bad that this game plan does not work for badminton.
    Hi Barca, how much did you buy VT80 in Bangkok? where? did you happen to check out the price of ARC-ZS TH?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arfandy View Post
    so there is no hope to find TH VT80 3U version?
    do let me know if you found any as I haven't been able to locate any TH VT80 3U suppliers since it was launched...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post
    Not really. Depends on what is more popular, doubles or singles. I'd imagine most doubles players would prefer to play with a 4U VT80 over a 3U version. Because the small movements that are based more on instant reaction than timing, technique or strength count just as much as power and smashes. Hence why so many pro doubles players use head light rackets instead. They are far more "advanced" than any of us on these forums, yet many opt for lighter rackets.
    I'm really not convinced about this whole "3U is for singles" and "4U is for doubles". If that's the case, then why don't we see Yonex producing more 5U or 6U rackets? I own an apacs 6U racket myself (5U equivalent in Yonex terms I think, as it's about 77g "dry weight"), and I don't find any advantage with it in doubles. In fact, I personally find/found that the 6U racket was a disadvantage when it came to fast drives and instant reaction.

Of course, it's all about personal preference in the end. I think it's finding a happy medium for yourself. For me in general, a 2U would probably be slightly too heavy, while a 4U is too light.

With regards to the pros, I'm still waiting for an answer about which pro uses 3U and which uses 4U, and whether the 4U is more commonly used in doubles or not. I'd guess that most of the pros use 3U, but I wouldn't be surprised if a significant proportion use 4U, even in singles. There are just so many variables in badminton - a few grams in weight probably doesn't make any significant difference to players who have sound technique and fitness.

EDIT: oh by the way, I don't think the pros "opt for lighter rackets". I think what you meant was that some of the pros "opt for head lighter rackets".
    Last edited by ssj100; 05-29-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
    I'm really not convinced about this whole "3U is for singles" and "4U is for doubles". If that's the case, then why don't we see Yonex producing more 5U or 6U rackets? I own an apacs 6U racket myself (5U equivalent in Yonex terms I think, as it's about 77g "dry weight"), and I don't find any advantage with it in doubles. In fact, I personally find/found that the 6U racket was a disadvantage when it came to fast drives and instant reaction.
    Its obvious that no 5U or 6U racket can NOT be made without sacrificing stifness, 5U and 6U rackets are like jelly so where we get power from? But with 4U its totally different story, I think top manufacturer have the technology and material to make 4U racket as stiff as 3U, and hence maintain the power, BP and at the same time having less weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoppy View Post
    Its obvious that no 5U or 6U racket can NOT be made without sacrificing stifness, 5U and 6U rackets are like jelly so where we get power from? But with 4U its totally different story, I think top manufacturer have the technology and material to make 4U racket as stiff as 3U, and hence maintain the power, BP and at the same time having less weight.
    Good points, but I wasn't really talking about power. I was just saying that for me (and probably many others), a lighter racket than 3U (eg. 4U) doesn't give better defense/drives/speed. I didn't think so until I personally tried it. Who knows, perhaps I'm just technically flawed when it comes to lighter rackets hehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, it's all about personal preference in the end. I think it's finding a happy medium for yourself. For me in general, a 2U would probably be slightly too heavy, while a 4U is too light.

With regards to the pros, I'm still waiting for an answer about which pro uses 3U and which uses 4U, and whether the 4U is more commonly used in doubles or not. I'd guess that most of the pros use 3U, but I wouldn't be surprised if a significant proportion use 4U, even in singles. There are just so many variables in badminton - a few grams in weight probably doesn't make any significant difference to players who have sound technique and fitness.
    You might not be convinced because your own play style compliments slightly heavier rackets. But as someone who has personally tried both 3U and 4U variants of numerous rackets, I personally generally prefer 4U (especially in doubles), unless the racket is already quite head light or medium balanced, then I opt for 3U. For example, I currently switch between a 3U MX80 and a 4U VT80 and the VT80 is still a lot heavier and takes more effort to swing. I've adjusted to the VT80 so I am competent in defence and drives, but to say the MX80 or the BS10 before it were not better in defence would be in-accurate. They most definitely were.

Totally depends on the player. Some might be able to swing slightly faster with the 4U and make up the power difference in weight with additional speed. Others might swing just as fast with a 3U and make use of that extra weight for additional power. Either way, the differences are marginal. All I know is that I don't need any more power than my 4U VT80 gives me and I like the lightness of it (allows more options with over gripping and I feel more confident with it in defence).

Again, completely down to the user. I do however think that the less head heavy or heavy a racket is, the less likely you would be from getting an injury from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I know is that I don't need any more power than my 4U VT80 gives me and I like the lightness of it (allows more options with over gripping and I feel more confident with it in defence).
    You should play with us, then you'll feel like you need much more power hehe. I think at the "advanced" level, especially in doubles, the defensive skill of players increases the most, relatively. Placement of shot becomes just as important (perhaps more) as power, but it doesn't hurt to have massive power to increase the chances of the opponent lifting too short.

You mention over-gripping making a difference to the weight, and that's actually a really good point. I personally like to have a slim grip (I often remove the original grip and place just one grip over the wooden handle). Perhaps the overall weight of my 3U racket is similar to the overall weight of someone else's 4U racket who uses thicker grips? After all, we're probably only talking about 2-4g difference in "dry weight" - how much does a thick over-grip weigh?
    Last edited by ssj100; 05-29-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should play with us, then you'll feel like you need much more power hehe. I think at the "advanced" level, especially in doubles, the defensive skill of players increases the most, relatively. Placement of shot becomes just as important (perhaps more) as power, but it doesn't hurt to have massive power to increase the chances of the opponent lifting too short.

You mention over-gripping making a difference to the weight, and that's actually a really good point. I personally like to have a slim grip (I often remove the original grip and place just one grip over the wooden handle). Perhaps the overall weight of my 3U racket is similar to the overall weight of someone else's 4U racket who uses thicker grips? After all, we're probably only talking about 1-3g difference in "dry weight" - how much does a thick over-grip weigh?
    If you remove the original grip and use replacement overgrip on straight wood (similar to LCW), then yes, your racket could be lighter than my 4U VT80 (in overall weight) and head heavier. I've found that a thick overgrip can make the difference of 2-4 grams. Not only that, they can drastically change BP's as well. Switching from RKEP G11 Yellow to Super Grap upped my BP by a whole 8mm despite both being 0.6mm thick!

I now use overgrip without tape but wrap to near the end of the cone (quite high up). My current 4U VT80 weighs 92.1g. My 3U MX80 weighs 92.7g. Same string (BG66UM), same overgrip (Super Grap). BP of my VT80 is currently around 308-309mm. I believe it's 314mm-315mm without the overgrip.

Anyway, here's a good post from a guy who used both 4U and 3U versions of the same racket for more than a year.

http://badmintan.blogspot.com/2011/0...at900p-g5.html
    Last edited by Naim.F.C; 05-29-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, an over-grip can change the (apparent) BP by large amounts, because 2-4 grams is very significant when a racket weighs less than 90 grams to start with.

I think for those people who prefer a 4U, it's probably worth trying a 5U too. Regardless, I think the exact weight of the racket becomes really important when we're talking about such matters. For example, someone who is using an 80g 4U may find it very different to a 89.9g 3U. However, an 84g 4U and a 86g 3U may not be significantly different, especially after the racket is gripped and strung. I think what's always going to be important is the head heaviness and stiffness of the racket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, here's a good post from a guy who used both 4U and 3U versions of the same racket for more than a year.

http://badmintan.blogspot.com/2011/0...at900p-g5.html
    From what I've read, the AT900P is generally not a very good defensive/fast racket to start with. I've never tried the AT900P myself, but I've read numerous reviews saying that the VT80 is a better defensive and faster racket than the AT900P anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, LCW used to use the AT900P for a long while before he switched to the VT80. In fact he never did "graduate" to any of the Arcsabers from the AT900P. And his defense isn't too bad...
    I believe a few doubles players used the AT900p, so it can't be all that slow. Of course, we're now talking about pros, not ordinary folk like me...
    Besides, I believe that not all players of a certain type would gravitate to a certain racquet, there is always a very subjective and unquantifiable element to choice and comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Well, LCW used to use the AT900P for a long while before he switched to the VT80. In fact he never did "graduate" to any of the Arcsabers from the AT900P. And his defense isn't too bad...
    Not too bad at all hehe. In fact, I've watched many rallies where he was able to produce very fast drives, pretty much at a Mens doubles level. The AT900P clearly suited him well. Yonex probably paid him a lot to move to the VT80 hehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anyone ever noticed, 3U rackets are usually a bit more durable than 4U rackets. All Yonex rackets, 3U version always is recommended to strung at 1Lbs higher than 4U version. Therefore i do prefer 3U version (the very reason that double-play with some amateur partners might give you bigger opportunity to racket-clash!) than 4U. I don't know how to measure BP but my 3U VT80, was rolled with replacement grip Victor GR-115 (1.7mm) on top of the original grip plus 0.6mm LiNing overgrip on top of it. Anyone care to guess what's my racket's BP & weight is? (strung with NBG98 @26Lbs).. I'd guess that my 3U VT80 is weighing equally with 2U VT80 (if ever exists)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO we don't need a sledgehammer (a very head heavy racket) to hit a shuttlecock because it only weight about 5 grams
    for example Victor no. 2 only 4.9 grams
    except you are trying to hit a tennis ball which is heavier than you'll need a much more heavier rackets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jump-smash View Post
    IMO we don't need a sledgehammer (a very head heavy racket) to hit a shuttlecock because it only weight about 5 grams
    for example Victor no. 2 only 4.9 grams
    except you are trying to hit a tennis ball which is heavier than you'll need a much more heavier rackets
    Although keep in mind that the overall weight of badminton rackets these days are only around 90-100 grams, no matter how head heavy they are.