Competition, rivalry and bad manners!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by toomanyracquets, Feb 1, 2011.

1. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    Guys, what is your opinion.

My wife and I play in three different clubs and Both play on different teams in different leagues and the same leagues. Last year we even played against each other for different clubs on different teams. It was a fantastic match and resulted in a draw!

However, this year my wife is playing for club A in one league (lets say league 1) and for club B in League 2. The way the matches worked out she had to play in League 2 for club B against club A. This wasn't a problem for my wife she was happy to play for club B as it was all in the name of sport. Unfortunately one her team mates from club A that she played against has been griping about it ever since. To the point she actually wrote a letter to League 2 complaining and checking if my wife was even allowed to play in that league.

Now be honest is it me or is that extremely petty and even childish? Or have we perhaps broken a bit of badminton etiquette?

2. Squally425

Squally425 Regular Member

Web Developer
    There'll be bad sports in every competition (or for bad sentence structure, sport). Unfortunately that's the way things go.
    As long as nothing happens, her behaviour will eventually cause all potential partners/players to drift away from her anyways.

Just keep enjoying badminton with your wife and have fun! :)

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sounds childish to me.

Normally you're not required to demonstrate unwavering loyalty to a particular club. ;) However, local leagues may have their own rules.

4. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I presume that you're talking about 2 different leagues here. In that case, it is fine for a player to play for club A in league B and club C in league D. I know people who play men's in the Birmingham league for one club and men's for another in the Worcester league. Also, plenty of players play mixed for one club and level for another. All of this is fine.

The only thing that could lead to a conflict of interests would be if you were playing for 2 different teams in 2 different divisions in the same league. For example, you play in men's div 1 for A against B and in div 2 for B against A in the same league. However, most leagues have rules against that sort of thing (usually to restrict the use of ringers).

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Agree with others, this sounds childish.

It appears from my point of view that the club member in question, appears to have something against your wife and is trying to get rid of her, using this as an excuse. I personally don't see the problem in playing in different leagues, providing that there is absolutly no chance of the two (or more) teams meeting in a competitive game.

Maybe your wife is keeping this person out of the team, and is jealous of this:)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Isn't that exactly the situation here? I don't even get how Club A from league 1 can be in the same league as Club B in league 2 although different teams in different divisions. Although I agree it's petty, if promotion or championships are at stake I'd certainly frown upon it ;). Then again it's pretty much impossible to end up in a situation like that over here ...

7. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I'm not sure, but I read the situation as toomanyracquet's wife playing for one club in one league and for another club in another league. As leagues are all independant of one another, I don't see how that could be an issue.

The example I came up with is that if A and B have teams in 2 divisions in the same league. For example, if both A and B's mens 1sts are in division 1 and division 3 of the same league has A's mens 2nds and B's mens 3rds.

toomanyraquets, if I've understood the situation correctly, there is no issue with your wife representing 2 clubs in different leagues. I would encourage her to raise this issue at club A's annual general meeting. There's far too much backchat in clubs and getting it out in the open may help to put a line under it and allow everyone to move on.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

1. this year my wife is playing for club A in one league (lets say league 1) and for club B in League 2
    2. The way the matches worked out she had to play in League 2 for club B against club A.

Club A is represented in both leagues ... but I assume not with the same players.

#8 demolidor, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  9. toomanyracquets

toomanyracquets Regular Member

Logistics for Caterpillar
    Yep, that's it exactly guys... Different leagues both times. LD nice theory buy my wife is ranked above the main complainant and there are others that would be in line before her. The people who complained about my wife have never even spoken to her about it. They just complain to other people in the club about it. I think maybe the people in question are just scared of the competion.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions guys. Glad to know we weren't the only people thinking it was childish.

Best part is she just got picked to represent the league in an inter league competition :)

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Back home in my league I play for Club A in Mixed and Club B in Mens. If I ever have to play against the other club in either game, people always make sly comments about it when I am down at club nights. It's their problem to sort out.
    But in our leagues I couldn't play Mens for Club A and Club B regardless of if Club A were in the premier league and Club B were 4 leagues lower.