opinions on these beginner stringers....

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Petah, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Petah

Petah Regular Member

OK, with the help of this site, i have narrowed it down to the following stringers:

Klipper M140 - http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productdetail.php?catnum=M140
    Eagnas Flex 100 - http://eagnas.com/flex100.html
    Eagnas Flex 160 - http://eagnas.com/flex160.html

Of course, it seems that the Flex 160 has all the basic functions, such as 6 pt mounting and a ratchet drop weight system making it the best candidate from the list. But i have read horrible after sale support from eagnas and the quality of their products is questionable. There seems to be a lot of positive reviews of the klipper but it lacks some of the features of the flex 160, especially the 2pt mounting. And of course, there is the flex 100, which is quite similar to the M140 but it appears there are more standard features, such as ball bearing rotating table and more importantly, it's only $119. What would you guys recommend?

I am a beginner stringer and do not plan on stringing many rackets, maybe a once a month at most so i don't want to drop too much money. $200ish is my budget.

Thanks.

2. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i was in the same situation as you and ended up ordering the flex 160 i won;t be able to comment on the machine for another few weeks though . never strung a racket before so i won;t have much to compare to. as for the customer service seems hit or misss. does maxline just distribute the machine for eagnas and would there be a way to contact eagnas directly to avoid potentiel problems.

either way i will psot what i think of it after i try it out.

cory

3. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    I word of advice when dealing with Maxline. Ask nicely and you will get treated in kind, but if you give attitude like most of the bad press, you will not help your cause. I personally know people who have dealt directly with Victor, including myself (once). Though I was most afraid of the Stringing Machine Nazi, I kept hearing about, but never saw it. Also the people who answer the e-mails, are pretty nice.

As for machines, have you considered the Hawk 26 or 40? About the same as the Flex 100 and 160, but slightly different.

4. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Thanks for the responses.

Monticore, please do post a review of your machine after you have tried it out. But i think i will end up getting the flex 160 as it seems like a bargain with all the given options.

Covina, i have checked out the Hawk 26 and 40 machines like you suggested. However, what i really like about the flex 160 and even the 100 is the bearing turntable. This will minimize racquet movement while you are tensioning the string and as well, there will be minimal wear between metal parts as you rotate the racket during stringing.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the list of option says there is no badminton clamp for the flex 160. maybe you can inquire about it.

6. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i sent them an e-mail asking which was going to be better for badminton between the hawk 40, den-3600, flex 160 and they suggested the flex 160 you have the option of switching the free tools included for badminton clamps/string/awl. etc.. but i kept the tennis stuff since i planned on purchasing yonex clamps anyways and might dabble in tennis .

i liked the look of the k supports vs the v supports but not sure which is better in practice.

the only part i didn't like was the ups shipping which might add some cost when it hits the border so 219+76.00 shipping(adjusted for my location) +duty+taxes+brokerage.add some yonex clamps and your almost near 500$ for a low end stringer .

cory

#6 monticore, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. CovinaStringer

Monticore, there are a few places in Syracuse or Buffalo you can have stuff from the US sent to. The cost is something like $10, unless you have a friend of relative. It may be worth the Gas and time to go that route. BTW, Eagnas has a used Demo DEN-3600 for $30 off regular price if it's still available. http://www.eagnas.com/used.html

Petah, the bearings are not necessarily needed. Most machine are finely milled and don't have bearings. As long as they are lubricated with grease, you are OK. I like to use CLP Break Free or Super Lube, a PTFE (Teflon) oil and grease. Works great and lasts longer than regular machine oil. GSS sell a similar Lubricant called Slide Glide, but it's a rip off for the size they sell.

There is used Flex 740 selling on CL near me for $150. If anyone is interested let me know, I can check it out for you.

8. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Again, thanks for the responses. I plan on using a mailbox in Ogdensburg when i place my order for my stringger. Shipping was quoted @ around $40sud and i just have to pay the parcel handling charges of $5 and pay the taxes when i bring it across the border.

In terms of the bearing, though i know it's not required but i think it's a nice feature to have. I can see top tier machines might have finely milled parts but would this apply to Eagnas machines? It's common knowledge that some of their parts are not exactly machined perfectly hence i am worried about excess play with the turntable.

I think i pretty much have my heart set on the flex 160. Thanks for all the inputs.

9. CovinaStringer

I parted out a Flex 740, I bought thinking I could convert it to table top elctronic machine. It was missing some parts that would have cost me $180 to get it functioning again. In the end I sold it for parts, trippling my investment. Here are some of the parts:
    DSC04167.JPG
    DSC04166.JPG
    DSC04172.JPG

Here is the hub with a lock or brake:
    DSC04195.JPG

10. monticore

monticore Regular Member

COVINA - should i try and find a alternative to the k supports from what i have read they seem to block holes with badminton rackets.

cory

11. Petah

Petah Regular Member

I am assuming that the flex 740 also has a bearing turntable?

12. CovinaStringer

It was missing K supports, at a cost of $25 each from Eagnas, though Alpha was only $10 each.

Nope. Like I said before, finely milled. I can take pictures if you want to see?

13. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Thanks for the offer but i don't have the intention of buying the 740 so there is no need for pics. Probably going to order the 160 shortly.

14. CovinaStringer

The pictures are of a Flex 740 I previously owned and parted out. I just happen to have pictures of the parts I sold, for example.

There is another guy near me selling a complete Flex 740 for $150.

15. monticore

monticore Regular Member

my only thing i am worried about the the suspension mounting vs hold down but i won't know till i have tried it. the hold down of the hawk seems to be better with badminton

cory

16. CovinaStringer

There seems to be a long winded discussion on the merits of floating 6 point vs. 2 point hold down. There is even a 6-point hold down which is really a 2 point with 4 side supports. All of these work the way they are designed, problems occur when a racquet is mounted improperly, thus causing damage to the frame. The machines I currently own are both a 2-point and a 6-point floating. There are some racquets better suited for a 6 point than on a 2 point and vise versa.

17. monticore

monticore Regular Member

got my flex 160 today. only got taxed 7bucks plus 30 brokerage, item value was marked down without me asking going to try and set it up and start stringing will let you know how it goes.

do the linear string grippers cause damage tos tring and how can i avoid it if they do.

cory

18. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Awesome! Please do give me a review of it after you have tried it out. I have yet to order my stringer, still doing research on the subject matter. Plus, the strings on both of my rackets are new so it will be a couple of months before i break them so i have time. I have to say though i am pretty firm on getting the flex 160.

19. CovinaStringer

Congrats! Did you buy it from Maxline? How much was it marked down?

Some people use business cards, but there are many types of business cards. I like to use 3x5" index cards cut down to fit.

20. monticore

monticore Regular Member

yes got it from maxline it was marked down to 58us on the packing slip , before shipping it should have been around 240 maching + starting clamp. i should probably asked if they shipped using usps though they even taxed me on the brokerage fees . live and learn.

cory

#20 monticore, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011