Levels of play in Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by crazyboy139, Mar 30, 2003.

1. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

Uh...
    Something like that
    I believe theres only 2 sessions for Lv I & II
    So either that time, or the other.
    You're gonna see me?
    You seem interested or somethin lol ;)

2. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    CB : What exactly will you learn in lv 2? I mean, when I started badminton training at 7, I was first in the beginners group. few weeks later, the coach asked me if I would like to join the other group, all boys. I said no, since we all seemed to be doing the same stuff anyway. But she put me there later anyway. :rolleyes:

But truth is, I didn't see much difference... in the academy I'm in now, there are many groups, first week I was in teh beginners group (I was lazy to tell the coach that I trained for4 years already. :D ) And the next week I was in a different group.... then about after 1 1/2 months of training in that academy I was put in the advance group. LOL. But in the advance group I can see the difference.... not many groups, but I only see a real difference between the beginners group and advance. The other groups are the same... I think there are a few intermediate groups.

BTW, I'm talking about the TRAINING, not the way the KIDS in the groups do the training. Advance and intermediate do about the same, only intermediate needs way more footwork.

I don't know why I'm posting this LOL. CB, tell me if you find a difference between lv 1 and lv 2.

3. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    I go to the same club as crazyboy and if i can remember

Well, first of all, in lv 1, in the first day, the students learn how to hold their racket properly, then they learn how to swing, then they learn how to jump, switch legs and swing at the same time...

Most of the class is done by watching demonstrations on how to clear. And they you learn how to clear...eventually. The footwork and drills are horrible. The students have to throw birds across the court. They have relay races where they do "bunny hops" and other degrading exercises. Games are played rarely at the end of the class due to the fact that the students can barely hit the bird.

In the advanced class (lv 5), you're expected to know how to hit, and hold your racket. And you must be asked to join the advanced class. Drills are more complex and class are more fun. The footwork is less degrading and is actually useful. Games are played at the end of every class. Oh and, there aren't any kids in the advanced class. The youngest is 14 yrs old and there are a few adults.

4. Jus_anothr_grl

student
    oh and lv 2 isn't that much different from lv 1. The students are slightly older and can hit the bird occasionally. However, other than that, it's pretty much the same....

5. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Wow, good thing I didn't sign up for those lessons at Lee's since its so basic. What is the highest training level at Lee's other than being on the team?

6. Jus_anothr_grl

student
    level 5
    but there's also the "pre-team"....but it's just another money scam...i know kids that can't even serve in that "team"

but level 5's good. 2 people from my class made team b and team c

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    wow no kids in the level 5 class???? i remember when i was the youngest kid in the advanced class... i was pooping in my pants the first few times.... everyone there was owning me! but as time went on, i began to own them! hurray! :D

haha, i remember my encounter with the team....
    BTW: jus_anothr_grl is right... being on pre-team is practically an insult....

8. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

lol
    I love it how you said 'degrading footwork'
    lolol
    man those bunny hops and stuff are so stupid

as for if I'm a beginner..
    I dun really know
    I can hit it, I guess :\
    whos 17 and can't do something like hitting a bird?

I was just thinkin cause theres level 1 to 5
    I might as well just do all of them and not skip anything
    cause I never learnt badminton before, so I didn't know if skippin would be a smart idea

lv 1 wasn't that exciting, you're right
    but I didn't know any of the stuff we did
    and it has improved my play a lot
    well.. like 99% a lot.

so Jus_anothr_grl.. you're like.. beyond lv 5 :confused:

9. Low-B

Low-B Regular Member

Student
    what's the difference between level 5 and team A .. ? or is there even a difference .. ?

10. baddy.dude

baddy.dude Regular Member

IT
    hmm, i just finished a group training session at lee's - the class from 7:30-9pm every friday. I agree that beginner classes ain't worth it..i take the advanced classes to work on my game... and i take the intermediate classes for excercise... you don't get enough of it in advanced classes...

11. Low-B

Low-B Regular Member

Student
    soOO .. are u saying that you can take as many levels/classes that you like ... like you were saying u're taking both advance and intermediate class ...

12. baddy.dude

IT
    i guess so... if you think you're not ready yet for the next level, then repeat again...
    the level's at lee's... i think this is how they're represented:

level 1 - beginner
    level 2 - beginner/intermedidate
    level 3 - intermediate
    level 4 - intermediate/advanced
    level 5 - advanced

I have no idea what this "next level" people are talking about, anyone want to clarify that for me? (something about some 'team' thing?)

so i guess it's good to step up a level everyone time you finish the previous one... i just keep taking intermediate and advanced cause like i said. you get more exercise in the one of them.. and more game time in the other one..... i might take one more advanced class during the summer.....

what i find is.. the stuff you learn in classes are pretty much the same for all of them (unless you're a pure beginner)... the main difference is in the people you play with..... that's why you see everyone in the advanced class looking pretty old.. and also more skilled... the people in the intermediate classes are sorta like young lookin people and less skilled.... although sometimes you'll find the odd youngster that is pretty good... but basically, you learn the same stuff if you're a decent player.

another thing is that while you're there training, let them get to know you, cause when they know you.. and that they see that you're progressing... they will sorta split you up with the more advanced people when they split you into groups while doing drills... and show them that you can improve... so when you sign up for the next 3-month session and if you're sort of an intermediate player and taking an advanced class for the first time, and like no one recognizes you.. it will be like starting from the bottom again.. you'll be put with weak players starting out in advanced and your opponent always messing up drills... it's annoying! so basically, if you're taking intermediate, get to know the coaches and assistant coaches there, so that when you take the advanced sessions, you will be properly placed.

also.. when you're signing up... make sure you get Troy as one of the main coaches during the group sessions.. that dude makes the classes fun......

ciao

13. Bombshell

Bombshell Regular Member

student
    I don't know about that. The coaches didn't seem very keen on splitting people up according to skill, more like according to gender, which is the most foolish thing to do in this modern society, especially in a sport like badminton where guys and girls can play against one another... sorry ... still fuming from that class... need to rant...

14. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hmm...one of the first thing that you learn as a coach is never, never introduce gender into class either by group students by gender. It's a no-no and I am surprised that Lee is doing that.

15. baddy.dude

IT
    hmm.... i don't think they do that at lee's..... it could just be coincidence that it's split by gender... in one of the classes i had, i split with some of the females before so.. yeah. it was probably just a coincidence for you that you were split by gender. It only makes sense to split gruops by skill... . there was this one class where the more skillful group got to play all the trainers (OFSAA level ppl) in half court singles, and the trainers were a mix of male and female....

16. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    barry, at your level, go for private lessons, or go for the team.... you're pretty good... but i doubt you'll make the team... since you have to be known to get in... u can't just automatically get in... (at least from what i've seen such is the case)....

the person who asked diff between lvl 5 and team A.... uh... BIG difference..... there are 3 REAL levels of team... and 1 garbage level..... team a,b,c... and pre-team.. which is garbage.... anyway, you usually start ur way from C and get to A if you are good enough..... the team trains pretty hard, lots of consistency and fitness training.. and they have ladder.... if you join the team, you're looking at 2 nights of actual training, 1 day of ladder and 1 morning (sunday) of fitness.... quite a bit of training... but if you're serious about playing, joining team is a good option...

as for clubs, join unionville! we can always use more players! :D

17. baddy.dude

IT

where is this unionville club you're talking about?
    didn't know you could go for team at lee's.... maybe i'll try that if i don't make varsity at school.

18. Jus_anothr_grl

student

actually, they DONT speperate u by gender. if you're really good and your a girl, you play with the guys or maybe even sometimes the assistant coaches. but when they do seperate u by gender, there's a reason. mostly because the people are within your level of play. and plus, you make a lotta friends! see, there's four girls that are within the same age group as me in my group lesson, we're usually put together because we're at the same level and we're friends. but we sometimes play witht eh guys also and it's pretty fun....well, at least in my class.

and Nanashi's right. There is a HUGE difference between team A and the lv 5 class. the level 5 class is basically people who WOULD have made the team but are too old...

19. Jus_anothr_grl

student
    oh and you're 11th? you'll be fine. you'll meet a whole buncha people and no, u won't do any bunny hops...

20. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Thanks for the info Jus_anothr_grl. :)

Hopefully I can get a ride to Lee's every week in the summer. Problem is convincing my parents to drive me. Hey, anyone live east of Toronto that I can piggy-back a ride with? :D :p

Phil