Coming Soon to Calgary, a new Badminton facility

Discussion in 'Sunridge Badminton Centre' started by Winex West Can, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I am hearing that a new badminton facility will be opening soon (late March/early April) in Northeast Calgary (Sunridge area).

There will be 16 counts (International floor mats) with 30 feet ceiling clearance.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Wow I wish I had heard those rumours. Wonder whos going to be opening that if its true, havnt seen/heard any sign of that developnment yet though

3. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Trust me...the facility is being worked on right now. My understanding is that it will be structured similar to other clubs in Calgary which apparently is quite different from Vancouver/Richmond. Places like RichmondPro, Clear One & Two, Ace and Yumo allows drop-ins/court rentals w/o membership fees but in Calgary, you needed to be a member in order to use the facility so there will be a token membership fee.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Yeah heard about this. Be cursious to see if a membership system flies here. Edison just switched to a drop in fee system to get more business.

5. STRING

STRING Regular Member

From what I heard the membership fees will be very minimal

6. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Was told that membership fees are required as required under a city by-law so if Edison switched to a full drop-in fee system w/o a token membership, then they are in violation of city by-law.

Again, my understanding is that a token membership fee will be charged at the new facility.

7. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Update: heard that renovations are running a bit behind schedule and most likely opening for the new place will be in late April/early May instead. :(

8. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Edison is part of Okotoks, so it might have different bylaws about drop in.

Looking foward to the new facilty - espcially if it has late hours for us family types who have to put kids to bed.

9. STRING

STRING Regular Member

Heard the ceiling is 32 feet clearance...maybe you should suggest the preferred late hours time so the management can consider the operating hour in their planning

10. adrian_nyc

adrian_nyc New Member

Any updates on the new facility? What's it's name? Eager to check out their website for pricing and hours.

11. STRING

STRING Regular Member

The name is Sunridge Badminton Centre. Located close to Pacific Mall. Construction works have started. Website will be up and running soon.

12. STRING

STRING Regular Member

If you need further info, call Richard at (604) 240-0088. He may keep you update of the latest progress. :)

13. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Latest update that I got was that things are delayed by a month or so. The weather in Calgary has been bad lately and caused delays. They are thinking that it will be mid May before they can open.

14. druss

druss Regular Member

That sucks... it is very wet down in Calgary though, I know I've had two of my projects delayed due to weather. I hope they do stay on that schedule though since I'll be spending a lot of time down in Calgary from May - July.

15. Kipper_34

Kipper_34 Regular Member

Yeah, the guy's name is Richard as mentioned above. He actually plays badminton at the same place I do on Friday's, pretty nice guy and he's excited about opening the facility. I hear the place he has in Vancouver is pretty nice.

16. Shortcut

Shortcut New Member

Edison switched to drop-in only and many that had just expired membership are forced to pay the drop-in fee if they want to continue in the league. I personally had family membership with them and was one of the very first people that signed up. Partly the reason was I wanted to support them even though I know we would be able to use enough to justify it. It used to be if you are a member you can participate the Wednesday league for free. So happen my membership ran out at the end of march and on the last day of the league the well-known mean owner came in the gym and said to me " you are supposed to pay before you play, not after"... wow I thought how rude. I said i paid $700 a yr and used about the worth of $200 and you would not even let me finish the league. Her justification was she is losing money to run the facility. Believe it or not , she is part of the reason why Edison is not very successful, on top of that they used to charge $15 per drop-in. I say too litttle change.. and too late. Eagerly Looking forward to the new facility...

17. druss

druss Regular Member

That doesn't sound very encouraging... I had planned on stopping by Edison while down there working but maybe not anymore.

Any really good clubs with intermediate players in Calgary?

18. Shortcut

Shortcut New Member

Well if you haven't been to Edison, you should still give it a try on Wed nights (7pm-till everyone is gone). The facility is good. All the leagues are over as of last Wed. The players are fun and friendly, just make sure you pay ($7.5) before you play!! I have also been to YWCA on 4th street in downtown on Sunday morning (9:30am - 12pm) and FCR Badminton Club (fcrnsa@wordpress.com) Friday nights starting at 8pm-10pm (email reservation is needed). Bearspaw badminton club is on the other side of the city but good intermediate players as well. U of C and Mount Royal are listed on badminton Calgary's website, parking is a bit expensive but good players too.

P.s. FCR has a few Master tournament grade players and a few good mixed double players.

19. druss

druss Regular Member

I'll think about it, would really prefer for the new center to open though. I'm probably down there for 2-3 days each week for the next couple of months... too much driving....:crying::crying:

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Sounds like the opening is going to be at the end of May now. Delays with the roof I hear.