Weird Feel, No Sweet Spot...Advices Needed

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ghooga, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi guys,

Am still a newbie when it comes to stringing. I just started stringing another 2 rackets with my Pro's Pro Shuttle Express recently and to my dismay, at 26 lbs, the feel of the rackets seem pretty weird.

When I tried to smash with them, it seems to me that I couldn't seem to find their sweet spots and the feel was like rackets strung at 18 lbs at best.

Could I have done something wrong when I tied the knots or could the tensioner be the problem?

Your feedbacks are very much appreciated!

:confused:

2. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what tension do you use for main/cross?

4. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi John, thanks for the tips. What do you mean by "double pull the strings"?

Hi Kwun, 26 x 28 lbs.

Thanks!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i usually do main==cross. so try 26x26 or 27x27 and see how it feels. i have a shuttle express as well.

6. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    There are two meanings for "Double Pull" and they are not the same.

One technique, is when you pull two strings at one time or pull two rows at one time. Very common on some racquetball rackets on the mains.

The Second is pulling a single string twice to tighten crosses. Basically you pull tension, but don't clamp, and pull tension again then clamp. This will result in a tigher stringbed. Also this technique is will give similar results to the pre-stretch function on Elec. CP machines.

Never use the first technique on Crosses, it may deform the frame.

7. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi Kwun, thanks for tip. Yeah, I know you have a shuttle express that's pretty similar to mine. I have thought about contacting you directly actually but in the end decided to post my question here to the public.

I thought maybe I have lost some tension when I started the mains and when I tied the knots. That's why I started and ended my string job with high tensions.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i suggest go simple first. just string everything same tension. don't vary the tension. do 26x26. make sure you wind the crank in the same slowish speed. try the result and see what you get. i think u might be surprised.

i started with +1lbs/+2lbs in the beginning and eventually found that +0lbs is the best. it maybe something unique about the shuttle express.

i think it is always better to ask question in public as there are many other helpful experts around!

btw, what string are you using?

9. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi, thanks for these two helpful tips. I've never attempted both techniques before but I'll definitely give them a try.

10. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi Kwun,

I didn't really think varying the tension will cause any big problem as my logic was that the tension will eventually spread out to the rest of the string bed. Maybe I'm wrong on this. My 26 x 28 definitely felt like 18 or 20 lbs.

I'll stick with staying with one tension this weekend and see how that goes.

I strung using ZyMax 67 and BG 66. What wasted strings now...sigh

11. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    ghooga i meant the 2nd technique CovinaStringer stated.

12. onefromcov

onefromcov Regular Member

make sure you wind the crank in the same slowish speed.
    this is the best advice wind the crank consistantly.

13. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    If it feels like 18lbs then your machine needs calibrating, just buy some cheap fishing scales and attach some string to them then pull. Then look at the reading the scales give you and compare it to the value you set your machine to. I calibrate at 30lbs, so that 30lbs is 30lbs. Usually this causes lower tensions (around 18-20lbs) to be slightly inaccurate but I don't mind as I never string that low for anyone and if I did I don't think they would be so worried about a slight difference in tension.

So I think the mis-calibration is the main problem. Any racket strung at 18lbs feels completely lifeless if you are used to 26X28lbs.

You could also try tightening the last main and last cross by slightly more tension, this will minimise tension loss when tying a knot, but this wouldn't cause the tension difference you have experienced.

When I first got my stringing machine (Pro's Pro pilot) it was very badly calibrated for badminton, 20lbs was equivalent to 28lbs... So the first racket I ever strung was at a not entirely recommended (for a complete beginner) 28lbs... I was surprised the beginner Yonex racket I used took the tension and played very well with it!

Hope you sort your problem out soon.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you have any way to measure the frequency of the stringbed when you ping it, then i can give you an approximate idea how tight your string actually is. i usually use a iphone app to do that.

15. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Hi Sevex,

I think you get what you paid for. Pro's Pro is good for beginners but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. I will try to calibrate it this weekend. Before that, will need to search on how to calibrate it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers~

16. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    Wow Kwun...this is news to me! What iPhone app is that?

17. CovinaStringer

#17 CovinaStringer, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think Racquet Tune is only for tennis. i keep my own database and use just a sound app to find out the frequency to match it.

19. CovinaStringer

You might be right, but the ever expanding database, it's possible to encompass badminton, squash and racquetball as well.

Though it's scientifically possible, to determine the dynamic tension. I think certain racquets will have different dynamic tensions, even if strung at the same reference tension with the same string, due to shape and vibration dampening incorporated into the frame. Strings are also another variable in to the dynamic tension equation.

20. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I have the slightly more bulky Pilot, simply because I also string tennis and squash rackets occasionally. I can't comment on the shuttle express but I think it is very good if you don't string a large number of rackets.

So I wouldn't say it is a bad machine, very good for the price. I have no intention of upgrading mine in the near future, unless I decide to fit the WISE electronic tension head to it. Once you get the hang of using it and set it up it works absolutely fine.

As a side note I have worked with million pound SEM (scanning electron microscopes) that need calibrating as soon as they arrive (which you'd expect after being transported) and also need calibrating regularly throughout their lives. I never expect anything to be perfectly set up when you buy it. I do however expect that it CAN be perfectly set up.

In the case of the Pro's Pro machines this is the case, so they are perfectly acceptable. This is true of many cheaper things, if you're willing to play around for a bit to get things functioning well then you can get some real bargains.

Here is a short video on how to calibrate, I have no sound on my PC at the moment so not sure if the verbal explanation is any good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBF9GkJUBSU

Hope that helps.