Help Choosing a Defensive Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by masterjoker1o1, Feb 8, 2011.

1. masterjoker1o1

masterjoker1o1 Regular Member

I'm a defensive doubles player who prefers playing with a 4u or less racket which is also headlight.
    Any recommendations?

Also, I'm confused about shaft flex/string tension... I have a lot of wrist power, so should I get a racket with HighStiffness/HighTension?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

suggest yonex ns 7700 or 9900, flexy vs stiff, both headlight

or if you've heard of panda power rackets, the precision is 4u, headlight and aero frame... incredibly fast, defensive and counterattack

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

As far as I know NS series don't come as 4U. AT900T and AT800D come in 4U but they are head heavy.

Also if I'm not mistaken a stiffer flex will suit wristy player better.

As for tension, it's really personal choice IMO

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I can recommend the Victor Spira 22. It has a stiff shaft and is available as 3U and 4U. I have the 3U and it feels overall very light. It's even balance to headlight and is a awesome defending racket, but you can smash hard with it.
    I don't know your level but 22 to 24lbs is a good tension if you are not a professional. Not to tight and not to loose. Because of a such light and headlight racket it's better not to strung too high because through the less weight and balance you need more efforts to generate power.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Karakal is known to make pretty light rackets-- eg. M-Tec 70, Tour Lite.
    Black Knight made a superlite series of which the Feather XL sounds like your cup of tea.
    SOTX Powerboss Woven 5 and 6 were pretty agile and headbalanced-light (not sure if they are 4U though).

All of these suggestions are from a few years back. They should still be available online and not so expensive as to break the bank.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

But if you have a lot of forearm strength, you shouldn't really play with flexy light 4-5u rackets as they will rob you of power. Just a thought to consider.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

:confused:None of my suggestions were particularly flexible racquets, if that is where your comment was directed, dear visor.
    But I agree that headlight and flexible sounds like a weak combo. That being said, there are folks who thump me quite soundly with their supposedly flexy-light Nanospeed 7700.:eek:

As for tension, masterjoker, it is best to stick close to what you are used to at first with a new racquet. Then fiddle around with tension gradually. There is no rule that says higher is better. Let us know how your quest proceeds. :)

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    masterjoker, do you play mostly doubles? I think a ultralight racket lacks in terms of power. A headlight 3U racket is quite fast enough. It's not necessary to use a 4U headlight racket. The NS 9900 could be an option, if you like a stiff one. What racket are you currently playing? The Victor Density XT850 is a light, headlight and midstiff racket for a lower budget.
    FZ Forza N-light 83, N-forze 20 extreme light, Kevlar N-power 250 s, Titanium 199 N-Light CNT,
    Titanium 299 N-Light CNT are light (86g) midflex to stiff and fit a broad price range.
    I think you have a torture of choice, but be careful a 75g racket lacks in terms of power alot. I would not decrease the power for a super qick quickness which is not necessary.
    For head heavy rackets it's a reason to choose a 4U version but in my opinion for a headlight racket it's not smart.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, was referring to OP. :)

10. masterjoker1o1

I play mostly doubles and I'm currently using a variety of my friends' rackets (ie. Nano9900, Nano9000, Voltric 70, Z-Slash, Arc 10, Arc LE 100, AT 700, etc.)

Honestly, I do not own a racket of my own yet which is why I'm here :)

Would a stiff light 4u racket be better than a flexy light 4u?

Doing more research I'm curious about the rackets you have all suggested me. One thing I noticed is some of them are not headlight. Does a head-light racket "make" a racket more defensive? Or would a head-heavy 4u racket be better for defense?

11. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

The 299 is a great racket.. yes, its headlight with a mid-stiff shaft... the 250S is also one to look at too.. less head light than the 299 and gives you a bit more power, they both have high density stringing pattern which gives you good control.. they are certainly worth looking at...

No, not particulary.. it just makes defending easier as your racket will be faster through the air...

find me at facebook.com/badmintonalpha or twitter @badderz_alpha

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You are a lucky guy, masterjoker. You have play with some of highend Yonex rackets. :)
    Wasn't the Nanospeed 9900 something for you? What do you dislike at this racket? Maybe it's easier on this base to recommend a racket which suits you.
    If you got the possibility to visit a shop with one of your friends and choose a racket by holding in your hand and swinging it's the best way to find YOUR racket.
    People can recommend rackets here which are not available at your area, or maybe not suits you.

#12 ucantseeme, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

masterjoker,
    I agree with ucantseeme, you are a lucky guy to have such a rich supply of rackets to try.:) Find the one you like best and buy one. (So much better than speculating online.)
    Or, if the one you like is too expensive, come back here and tell us which it is. The clever BC members will provide you with lots of comparable but cheaper choices.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

masterjoker,

as others have mentioned, you already have a wide variety of rackets to try from your friends

although i don't think any of them are 4u
    and only ns9900 and ns9000 are considered headlight

so how did you decide to get a 4u or less racket?

15. masterjoker1o1

In terms of choosing a 4u racket: Panda Power Precision, Apacs Tantrum Light, or Kason Carvel U-3/U-4.

Do any of you know a thing or two about these rackets? I have only seen general reviews, but I'd rather get a more recent opinion.

Asking around today, my friends told me that a "defensive racket" is simply a racket that you can maneuver much faster. Is this true?

I initially wanted a light defensive racket, but after all the input about losing power, I'm beginning to second guess having such a light racket if a defensive racket is only how quick you can handle it.

16. masterjoker1o1

In terms of choosing a 4u racket: Panda Power Precision, Apacs Tantrum Light, or Kason Carvel U-3/U-4.
    Do any of you know a thing or two about these rackets? I have only seen general reviews, but I'd rather get a more recent opinion.

Asking around today, my friends told me that a "defensive racket" is simply a racket that you can maneuver much faster. Is this true?

I initially wanted a light defensive racket, but after all the input about losing power, I'm beginning to second guess having such a light racket if a defensive racket is only how quick you can handle it.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

true, maneuverability = defensive, because a head light racket (especially if it also has aero frame) is faster to maneuver and swing

good for counter-attack, defence, forecourt to midcourt fast play
    but you'll give up some power in baseline clears and smashes

i've played with arc10, ns9900, ti swing power ss, and now recently trinity2 and precision

your choice of racket and specs will depend partially on you, your partner, your opponents and the type of game you play

you know that doubles is all about attacking, the best way to win is to attack or work towards an attack. so you need to get a racket and spec that has enough sting to win attacks. of course if your opponents attack better than you, then a defender racket is better. but overall, you should one that is all-around, able to both attack and defend. a compromise.

#17 visor, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  18. masterjoker1o1

thanks for the input.

I'm really considering the PPPrecision, only problem is where to buy it. Btw, is there a racket with the same specs as the PPP or similar?

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Based on specs there are enough racket which can be close to the PPP.
    You can order the PPP at www.dcbadminton.net

alternatives on specs and not similar to PPP!

Victor
    BS12 (4U) , SW37 (4U), BB02 control (4U)

Yonex
    NS 4500 (3U), AS7 (3U)

Apacs
    NS888 (4U)

Gosen
    Aermet 8900

#19 ucantseeme, Feb 9, 2011
  20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Where AS7=ARC7=ARC100

There is of course a 4U Nano as well: NS3000; and for NS4500: about to be replaced with NS5500 ...

Oh yeah: .net ;)

#20 demolidor, Feb 9, 2011