Classic Sports Themed Movies

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Bbn, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just managed to watch 2 great sports themed classic movies :

1) Grand Prix (1966)- All about Formula One and the trysts of drivers on and off track
    and an insight into the politics,nationalism, cammarderie and rivalry amongst the pros.
    Unlike movies today this classic movie does not seek to thrill but rather to provide a better understanding of the sport and possibly other sports too.A must see.

2) Chariots of Fire (80s)- Middle distance running as the theme on this one.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#'s 45 and 9 respectively on Sports Illustrated 2003 Top 50 (sports movies) of all time [​IMG].

Once upon a time I had started a little collection but not much you can pick up in the stores here. Most are from the bargain bins even :D. Time to order a new batch online :cool: (Slapshot, Might Ducks 1-3, Blue Chips, Wild Cats ... Summer Catch :p, etc.).

Not pictured: Gladiator and Game 6. Only Hoop Dreams and Hoosiers are listed in the Top 50 :eek: but at least at #4 and 6 respectively. Facing the Giants is terrible and bought by accident as I forgot why I didn't buy it in the first place and it's about American Football and was only a couple of euro (€2-3). And it's not worth even that ;)

Other lists: top movies by sport http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2003/movies/news/2003/03/26/theyre_no1/

Attached Files:

#2 demolidor, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Here's the link :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/2003/movies/news/2003/03/26/theyre_no1/

Surprising that Grand Prix is still tops after 50 years!

Not much on badminton unless you include Indonesian produced "King" and 'Rudy Hartono" (coming March 2011).

Table Tennis -missed out silly Japanese movie "Ping Pong" and ' Balls of Fury".

Anyone seen any inspiring sports movies, give a preview?

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let's hope "Rudy Hartono" will be much better. King looks like your average Indo soap opera [​IMG] ...

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Here is a quintessential Canadian hockey movie you can watch in ten minutes. :)
    Don't know how inspiring it is, but the low-tech animation, the authour's heavy accent and the account of life in small town Quebec in the mid-1900's is a real picturesque insight into the Canadian winter-psyche.
    (before we got all sophisticated with Starbucks and heated car seats in our Escalades:rolleyes:).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgydkfnUEi8

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] Thanks for that, universally recognizable :D (although as I understand it's really more about the franco-anglais relations at the time which was of course symbolised/embodied by these two clubs as well). In turn led to some other interesting vids as well :cool:. And reminded me The Rocket was also on my "to get" list [​IMG]