Best way to train my body-in the gym, for Badminton Singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Feb 8, 2011.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hello, anyone know of some good exercises specifically tailored for Badminton? What muscle groups should I be focusing on? Should I run long-distances, or focus on sprints?

Right now, my workout is very simple it looks something like this: 45 minute run every third day, biceps, triceps with weights every second day, pushups, situps, everyday, 20 minute speed run about 2-3 times aweek.

What else should I be doing?

Thanks!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Personally I think you should be working all your muscles, not just the bicep and tricep. Remember that those muscles are also connected to other muscles which support them so building up just one doesn't do very much.

Think of it like a chain, it's only as strong as the weakest link. You need to work your torso, chest, back... etc.

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

The makes sense Druss,"it's only as strong as the weakest link". I'm looking for specific exercises that I can do; I have heard that squats
    are really good, especially for badminton players. As much as I hate doing squats, I've only heard good things about them.

4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/93829-Best-Muscle-Groups-To-Train

This link give a very good information on how to train in gym.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

Just to clarify, are you in an actual gym with modern equipment or just on your own?

If you have access to all the equipment then I'd suggest that if you're serious then hire a personal trainer for 2 sessions at least to get them to help you come up with a program and teach you how to use each machine properly.

The order you use the machines in is also important. For instance, you don't want to work out your triceps before doing bench press as this lowers the strength of your arms and you won't get the work out in the pecs that you want.

Squats are great as they build up the specific muscles you use to jump with. Lunges while holding weights is also a good workout that most people don't enjoy.

6. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Yes druss, I'm exercising in a modern gym.(Goodlife)
    I can not afford a personal trainer, so that option is not open to me; however, I know sometimes personal trainers where I workout sometimes
    give 1 free lesson.(to try it out)

I'll check out that link Icleing. thnx

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Walking lunges. Weighted walking lunges.
    Core strengthening routines.
    Plyometrics.

Alternate with circuit training every other time.

When doing circuit training, end with an extended session of stretching and increasing flexibility.

The "free lessons" at goodlife are more or less just very basic stuff, like orientation. If you dont' want to spend on a personal trainer, you might learn more by observing some of the better people there. Not the bodybuilders, though. :)

#7 cobalt, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Lunges...ugh...squats...ugh...I don't know why, but I can't stand doing these execises; I always feel like I'm in a comprimised position,however,
    I have no problem running for 30-45 minutes on a treadmill.(I know most people hate running, gues I'm different!?)

Plyometrics? What is that again?

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Hi justin:

Running is an excellent aerobic exercise, but does very little beyond basic endurance for most people. The following link has some excellent information regarding training:

http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/Bre...ies/2010/4/9_Building_Badminton_Athletes.html

However, I think cobalt gave you the best suggestion that, for some reason, is not in your (or most peoples) list: THE CORE. Build your core muscles, and you will gain in power, stability, prevent injuries, and make the other muscles work better. The core is mainly the abdominal muscles and the upper and lower back.

For an excellent and tough training routine for core muscles, give this 3 part series a try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdSor8_UI0

To answer some of your questions: sprints are more important than jogging, but the best type of training for this sort of thing is called fartlek training, which is more common to sports like bastekball and badminton that require lots of continuous movements but with fast and explosive speed required every so often too (unlike a sprinter who needs extreme speed, followed by a rest - this is interval training).

Plyometric strength is a type of strength associated with the very quick contraction and extension of a muscle - going from not used to exerting a large amount of force in a very short time. Thus, it is not the same as strength, which does not have the stretch shortening cycle so heavily associated with it. All movements in badminton could be classed as plyometric, the movements steps, the jumps, the movement of your arm when you smash etc. Lower body plyometric exercises are easy to do in a gym, but probably revolve around squats and lunges, which you seem not to like so much. If you do not want to work on your leg muscles with those exercises (far superior to running or jogging as far as badminton is concerned) then consider doing prolonged periods of skipping (excellent!) or shadowing on a court - this helps build up footwork AND leg strength!

Hopefully you've got some ideas!

Matt

10. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    IMO I would train for:

Agility - Sprints like line drills (stop and go action)

Stamina - Swimming or long jog

Strength - Forearm + bicep + core muscle

Hand eye co-ordination - action and reaction time ( try using 2 bouncing balls against a wall, one on each hand)

Using more of your peripheral vision - being able to watch your opponent + court play ( something that you just have to get use to using )

11. monticore

monticore Regular Member

2 words plyometrics and core. i would recommend something like the p90x/insanity workout. i'm 37 6' 220lbs and just beat a highshcool senior last week in singles after i had just played for 2 hours.hadn't played since 1992 t'ill last month.

once you start doing plyometrics everything else is going to seem really easy it is the perfect workout for any sport.you will have stamina/strenght/muscle recovery/fast twitch muscle contractions/cardio just from plyo alone anything else you do above that will be just be a bonus

cory

#11 monticore, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Make sure you get enough iron in your system; and preferably less of the red meat (though that's my personal thing)

13. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Thank for the advice everyone. Plyometrics seems to be " all the rage" for the last couple of years. Maybe I should give it a try.
    I'm definitely going to start swimming as it is fun and a great overall-body-workout. thanks!

14. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
  15. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Gym work is very important to badminton players.

First of all, you should make sure that you have a full range of movement in all areas before you begin piling on the weights. Otherwise your body is unable to perform the exercise correctly.

You've already had a lot of good information already. I agree that running distance only builds endurance, however badminton is based on short movement performed very quickly.

So whilst you are using a gym for training, make sure you also use a court or court area to run through movement drills. These will also build your legs muscles and done correctly, build endurance.

Core exercises are very important too. Make sure that if you're completing a lot of sit ups that you also consider exercises for your lower back to give that strength too.

Press ups are a good all rounder exercise.

You can improve on your weight training by changing the tempo. The problem with a lot of people is that they complete the exercise too fast. The momentum of the movement can therefore take over which means the muscles don't work as hard.

Try doing barbel curls for your biceps but count three to raise the bar and 5 to lower it. This is controlled weight training. See how many reps you can do compared to your current tempo. Apply this to press ups, chin ups, bench press, squats.

Once you do this, you also need to work your fast twitch muscles to build explosive power. Try doing press ups with a clap after you've pushed up. Once you can do many reps of these it demonstrates that your arms are generating a lot of explosive power.

Also, remember your forearms and wrists too. You may find my armchair exercises useful. There's a couple of videos on my blog.

To your success

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

16. monticore

monticore Regular Member

17. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

My suggestion (albeit, an amateur suggestion)
    Cardio plus this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIJYKdeOHY

the sick nasty chinese two-step
    (for those of you who speak english as a second language, sick nasty is a slang way of saying ''really cool'', ''awesome'', even though by themselves, sick and nasty are both negative words.