Cracking Sound

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by rjshih, Apr 2, 2003.

1. rjshih

rjshih New Member

Student
    I have begun to notice a cracking sound coming from the point were the shaft meets the handle on my racket. Is this a normal occurance or does it warn of something more serious? Also, does anyone know if this can be covered under yonex's warranty if I attempt to send it in?

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

hey man,

on my ti swing power SX, i also find that there is a cracking sound when i swing the racket...it makes the sound at the shaft joined at the cone (not sure if that's the same area as yours rjshih, but i believe it's close to the same)...i really don't think it's supposed to happen like that and i believe that it's the result of when you bend the shaft/racket in order to find "stiffness" (MAN, i hate it when ppl do that...my former coach says it's not right and it doesn't really mean anything but it'll weaken the cone)...

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    No, the racquet is NOT supposed to make that sound. It's quite common though -- I've had it on many of my racquets. It usually comes from the cone itself. The plastic has either cracked, or the cone is beginning to come loose from the wooden handle. If you can live with the sound, then just forget about it. It is not really a serious problem, as the cone itself doesn't affect performance. The cone is really there for your comfort. If the cone comes loose, just glue it back with some epoxy.

However, it can also be a sign of cracking of the wooden handle. I've also had this problem before, and it needs repairing. Some epoxy glue will cure the problem.

On a reasonably new racquet, this cracking sound problem would certainly a valid reason for replacement under warranty. At least here in Sweden. Things may be different where you live. You should contact your dealer.

4. Seb

Seb Regular Member

Student
    Easy to fix

I've had this problem on all my Yonex rackets, really quite annoying. Luckily it's just the plastic cone that gets loose, and you can easily fix it by wrapping the grip up really tight around it. Hope it helps:cool:

5. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i just got this new sound too...

what can i do about it? where can i apply the epoxy glue?
    i think it is in the early stages of this "cracking"
    any tips?

6. gleny67

gleny67 Regular Member

hi Mag

Like you, I've recently had some issues with the cone, cracking noises and movement between the shaft and handle. Upon inspection on my TiSp Sx it was discovered that the epoxy and screw needed work. I re-glued and put in a slightly larger screw and used the racquet in light rallies where I didn't use full power. At this time I'm not too sure if what I've done will hold under heavy smashes. Have you or anyone else here tried what I have done and if so.......was the racquet fit for normal play?

7. Kariya

Kariya New Member

THis has happened to me on my ti-5, the cone came apart from the wodden handle. I fixed it with glue, which helped in securing it for a short period of time. I recently noticed that it was making the same noise. It is really annoying, but for me, I am still able to play with it. It makes no difference to me.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My solution was to wrap my grip over the cone up to the shaft as well. Didn't use any glue. The racquet still feels quite usable.