Sudirman Cup - Bao Chunlai

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Byro-Nenium, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Interesting huh?

A mistake you'll never see on the backs of football stars like David Beckham, Patrick Viera and Matt Holland.... ;)

How did they manage to do this??

Attached Files:

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it my imagination or do the chinese players seem to get their names printed wrong more often?

This years AE - Haung Sui instead of Huang Sui
    Last years AE - I think Chen Hong got a misprint somewhere.

Maybe there is a checking system with the players themselves but some players are unfamiliar with the alphabet.

F'instance, the time I was at Japan OPen, I saw Tony Gunawan being offered a bag and then he was examining the contents. He then nodded his head. I think they were showing him the T-shirt.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

2002 AE I think Chen had Cheng Hong on his shirt

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

That's hilarious. When I saw the pic after opening the thread I thought it was China's style or something! Guess not.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thought would mention an occurence in this years WC with regard this thread, would this lead to disqualifacation, as in the russian pair, for not having names on the back of their shirt? or is it ok to have name spelt wrong, i think there would be a bigger uproar if gao ling/huang sui got disqualified than the russians.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

I think IBF just put way too much concern in such issue to disqualify players, who forgot to print their name on the shirt. If they use such way to "identify" players, still does not make any sense to me, since anyone can get grab other ppl's clothes. Also, I am sure they will check the proper IDs, before allowing the players to step on the court.

To me, for players training for yrs, and get disqualified for such a reason, it's not fair at all. Totally agree with "jamesd20". What about such issue happened in the final match? Or, at least, one of the favortie contenders? Also, what about if a poor player's T-shirt just missing prior to the match, such as mis-placed, being stolen, lost in transportation, etc?

If IBF wants to enforce the rules, I think there will be better alternate ways, such as:

1. Count this as an auto "warning". I believe once a player / pair get over 3 warning, they will be disqualified? Anyone can confirm the #?

2. Deduct certain ranking pts, but still let the player / pair play. For example, this pair can own 200 pts toward their world ranking, if their cloths are not proper, take away 100 pts, etc.

#6 LazyBuddy, Aug 5, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    So observant!!! I barely notice it.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The russian pair was dicqualified for not having matching shirts.

9. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Right.
    Unfortunately we have quite a nasty situation
    Inside our local badminton federation,
    and this always results in poor tourney organization
    or flaws with other tourneys' preparation...

As for names, I guess everybody get used to it and ignore this problem... Just like me - I have a rather unnatural 2nd name for my country and it always get misspelled. I get used to it and dropped correcting others long ago (well, when I need absolute clarity badly I still do it, of course :))... So, e.g. now I have a number of agreements signed by me but without any trace of my actual surname in the text... :D

10. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Seems a little unfair. Ann Lou Jorgenson and Rikke Olsen were most definately wearing different shirts on semi-final day at the WC, but they were allowed to play.

11. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    I once played in the 1999 US open and was asked to put on a collared polo shirt or i wouldnt be able to participate in my match......which was the 1st round of QUALIFYING!