a sudden change of tension!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by malaysianfreak, Feb 11, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    i been useing 24lbs but i bought my friends racket for rm 50 and his tension is 27 lbs strung with nbg 98 ...the thing is that the racket felt a little weird since the tension increased ...so should i change the string and string it at 24?

2. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    if the racket was recently strung, you can leave it for a week or two for the tension to unsettle 1-2lbs. You can also use the racket to stroke & perfect your timing when you're not in a game. IMHO, higher tension, smaller sweet spot & less forgiving.

If you're still uncomfortable with it after that (or you've grown impatient), do as you will. :)

3. malaysianfreak

student
    oh thanks kennee it's been strung 1month ago and i keep mishit and my timing is starting to off a little...oh and the racket is qerodynamic ...is this what caused my mishit or is it the tension?

4. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Do you both own identical racquets? Or is one stiff and the other flexible?
    A mishit is caused by you not hitting the sweetspot. Which as tension gets higher the sweetspot becomes smaller, but you focus on getting your racquet timing correct (which could be a big problem between 2 very different racquets) you should start hitting the shuttle properly, then you can focus on building your power back up.

5. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    there's 2 things you have to get use to here. the new racket, and the higher string tension. different rackets has different swing characteristics, which would explain your mishits. you've already mentioned that the new racket swings faster than your old one.

higher string tension, smaller sweet spot. not an easy task, and neither it's a bad thing, because once you've perfected each and every hit, you'll will discover new joy in your game.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let us talk about the feel of your racket

I would like to talk about the feel of your racket when you have your string tension increased. There should be 2, namely;

1. Increasing the string tension of your racket will give you a feel that the racket head has become smaller (just like earlier posters have said - it's because you will get a smaller sweet spot).

2. The other feel that you will get is the faster swing action. Why? Because your racket will have a balance point shifted nearer to the handle (it's because there is less mass at your racket head).

If you don't like both of the feel as described above, then you should string your racket back to lower tension.

#6 chris-ccc, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. malaysianfreak

student
    well.... i will list the difference

old racket new racket
    24lbs tension 27 lbs tension
    medium flex not written but according to my feel definitely more flexy
    normal shaft slimmer shaft aerodynamic
    small grip bigger ..1G bigger i think

the feel i had with the new racket (the strings ) is very metallic sound and feels much harder (nbg 98)than my old one which has a smaller metal sound but feels softer (rsl 630 ) well it feels like its harder to control now.....and mishits ( hitting the frame ) happens 1 in 8 shots (approx ) but for some reason (maybe cause aerodynamic frame ) my smash is much stronger and my clears are deeper ...still i would trade those for less mishits =(........

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I guess you'll have to train more - mishitting and hitting with the FRAME is definitely a problem caused by the racket itself, not the string. Your timing is off and you'll need to adjust - depending on the amount you train, your skill and your ability to adapt, that can take from a few days up to several weeks. Once you hit consistently with the strings (not more than 1 in 30+ shots hit with the frame), you should re-evaluate - if you feel you cannot get clears long enough and everything takes much more effort, then the tension is too high. If you hit everything with the strings, but have many mishits (where you dont hit the sweetspot), it's too high. If those things don't happen, the tension is fine, but maybe the racket is not suited to you (or you still need more time).

9. malaysianfreak

student
    hmm...i find everythings fine except when i am on my off days...like now sadly =( but still i find it very very hard to do a clear ...maybe it's my tension prob or my technique problem ....the string do feel a little hard

10. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Name the rackets? Easier to differentiate that way

11. malaysianfreak

student
    the racket is lethal 8 apacs

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If you want to get used to the new tension, you have to consider it a permanent move or at least a long term stay in the tension range. Moving between the two tension is not advisible if you're new to the higher one. Either stick with it or cut it to be strung with your current tension. As higher tension a stringbed is the more your body needs to get used to it. For instance, most players with low tensioned racquets could get away with blasting smashes from the shoulder up but only a few with strong forearms and/or perfect positioning can execute a credible smash from a high tensioned racquet. Tension being a relative term here, I will just specify 27lb~ 33lbs as the 'high tension' range. I recommend cutting it. Jumping such a wide range will injure your joints (esp. wrist, elbow and shoulder) when you seriously play with it.

13. malaysianfreak

student
    i tought of it before ...still if i decide to restring what tension should i use?