suggestions for playing with opposite hand partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Capnx, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I'm a righty and for the tournament have been partnered up with a lefty. we've played before so position-wise we should be OK. but one thing I've noticed last night is when we are being attacked down the middle, we both tend to chase after it, whether it's a smash, drive, or clear. and this is especially awkward/bad when the center is the backhand for both of us.

is there a quick fix for this? we just agreed that if it's a smash/drive, whoever's faster hits it, if it's a clear then we call out.

is there a better system? we don't have a lot of time to work on this b/c round robin starts tomorrow. but the competition isn't that fierce so we should do OK regardless... i just don't want to clash/destroy our racquets in the mean time :)

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The solution, apart from lots of practice with the partner in question, is communication. If you want it, let him know and tell him to do the same. I'm sure you could devise a complicated system for deciding when a shot is yours or his but really, communication is the important thing to see quick improvements in your coordination as a pair and systems break down. Just talk to each other out there and it should be OK.

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Probably too late for your tournament, but all lifts and clears should be to the rear-corners of your opponents court. Clearing or lifting to the centre leads to the problem you've just described. Being a lefty myself, I can empathise!

As for solution, I agree that good communication is key. Presuming you communicate in English, a good set of calls are "Me" (my shot), "You" (your shot) and "No" (it's going out, leave it).

4. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

what everyone said above basically
    I am left handed and i usually play with right handed people
    I usually get the middle shot and i call for it
    MINE = i am going to hit it
    GO = you hit it
    OUT = don't hit it
    lol :)

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

For most of my left handed partners, we use a very simple rule. Depending on the side we are on, we work out based on where the shot is coming from. So suppose the shot came from our right towards the centre, the guy standing on the left court covers that. This way, the shot is moving towards him making it easier to play a round the head shot and he will be positioned near the centre line after the shot.