Yonex Nanospeed 990, NS990

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by aramistuscany, Feb 12, 2011.

1. aramistuscany

aramistuscany Regular Member

Yonex is beginning to incorporate their high-end technology/features to their 'Made in Taiwan' mid-range series. This new racquet features the Carbon Nanotube and Super HMG technology in addition to the usual high modulus graphite.

Attached Files:

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Looks nice, but that "SUPER HMG" on the side looks soo tacky compared to the detail on the Nanoscience writing on the opposite side.

3. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

NS990 feel too head heavy compared with other nanospeed series or arc series (arc 8dx). I may not be fair tough, comparing mid end racket with high end one (or may be I just got an off spec of NS990). However, after removing all of it's paint (using sandpaper), it feel much better : slimmer, faster, lighter:D

4. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    i thought ns990 is head light, lighter than ns9900. according to yonex chart is should be more head-light than ns9900 or arc8dx.

how's the repulsion of ns990? good?

5. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

It should be that way, but in reality NS990 feel heavier. But again, after removing all of its paint, it feel head light as I expected from a nanospeed series. This probably due to the thickness of the first layer paint (the white inner layer paint).

Repulsion is good, the shuttlecock leave the string bed quickly at the impact. I compared this NS990 with my arc8x and vt80. But I'm not sure whether those repulsion comes from the racket or the string due to different string on each racket (BG85 on NS990 at 27 lbs, SOTX HS63 on arc8dx at 26 lbs, zymax70 on vt80 at 27 lbs).

6. LightSaber

Smasher
    btw, you are the first person i heard, who sand papering his racket. huhu... can you take photo of the racket? i wish to see. people around you must be keep wondering, what racket you using...haha

7. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

I'll try to post the picture tomorow

8. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    i think the last time i saw it's rm 289 ...

9. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

Here are the pic of NS990 in its new appearance, it's all black (the black color more or less like the color of pencil's lead). Performance wise, I prefer this racket in this condition

ns990a.jpg

ns990b.jpg

10. LightSaber

Smasher
    Dark Side NS990 indeed... haha...

11. anandalphonse

anandalphonse Regular Member

Engineer
    no wonder u 'sand papered' the racket bro... It has one of the worst paint job i've seen a yy racket IMHO... My friend at the club got one and within 2-3 weeks nearly 15-20 % of paint got chipped... even paint over the cone area came off (this happened when he tried to remove the cloth over grip:eek:)...I'm playing with this racket for 2 weeks now.. original owner is retired hurt(wrist pain)he is playing with my spare 4U raquet and i get to play with NS990....

By the way can any one confirm the flex of this racket as well as balance point??? I think yonex is misleading people.. they have written headlight/light weight in the shaft and it is rated ex-stiff by them.. but it was head heavy (305~310 mm) and in higher side of 3U(89g) and i found it less stiff compared to NS 8000...

12. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

Agree with you

Agree on the (original) balance point, probably yonex measure it before applying any layer of paint on it. Disagree with the stiffness, it feel stiff++ to extra stiff. Head heavier racket (with the same stiffness level) will be easier to flex than head light racket, probably thats just your perception. Unmodified NS990 surely more head heavy (and heavier) than NS8000 , so have more momentum on it's head so easier to flex.

13. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    how does this racket compare to ns850? :)

14. 70andless

70andless Regular Member

15. milton

milton Regular Member