User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal. Nova/Butet beat He Habin/Yu Yang. Nova/Butet celebrate triumph and run to huge their coaches. While Yu Yang is preparing her bag. Then Nova and Butet came to the net and shake hand with He Hanbin. Later on, Butet pass trough the net to approach Yu Yang to shake hand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up It's best to allow losing opponents to leave the court for their locker rooms ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by miksss View Post
    2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal. Nova/Butet beat He Habin/Yu Yang. Nova/Butet celebrate triumph and run to huge their coaches. While Yu Yang is preparing her bag. Then Nova and Butet came to the net and shake hand with He Hanbin. Later on, Butet pass trough the net to approach Yu Yang to shake hand.
    Next time, tell Nova/Butet to shake hands with He Habin/Yu Yang first, before running off to hug their coaches.

IMHO, it's best to allow the losing opponents to leave the court for their locker rooms ASAP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal, Zhang Ning beat Maria Kristin Yulianti, then ZN celebrate the victory,run to her coaches. But then back to shake hand with MKY.

maybe this picture could show a good sportmanship. Both is SMILING

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Next time, tell Nova/Butet to shake hands with He Habin/Yu Yang first, before running off to hug their coaches.

IMHO, it's best to allow the losing opponents to leave the court for their locker rooms ASAP.
    but i think it is natural and spontaneous chris, celebrate a huge triumph in a major event. But at least, Butet did come pass trough the net to shake hand with Yu Yang and He Hanbin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Maria Kristin Yulianti is always a good ambassador for INA Badminton

2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal, Zhang Ning beat Maria Kristin Yulianti, then ZN celebrate the victory, run to her coaches. But then back to shake hand with MKY.

maybe this picture could show a good sportmanship. Both is SMILING

Good to see that Maria Kristin Yulianti waited at the net for Zhang Ning to return from celebrating her victory with her coaches.

Not many players are as patient as Maria Kristin Yulianti.

IMHO, Maria Kristin Yulianti is always a good ambassador for INA Badminton.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More instances of good vibes
    Taufik and Chen Hong, Asian Badminton Championship 2007

KKK/TBH and MK/HS, Asian Games 2010 finals

KO 2011 KT and Chen Long is a recent game played in the most friendly and sporting spirit. Tago has been consistently a very, very sporting character!

The ongoing love-fest between TH and LCW of course

Strangely, I have noticed that generally the love between opposing girls is much more restrained, for some reason. Wonder why?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Thank the opponents first before going off celebrating

but i think it is natural and spontaneous chris, celebrate a huge triumph in a major event. But at least, Butet did come pass trough the net to shake hand with Yu Yang and He Hanbin
    Sorry that I have come across as so rigid, saying that winners shouldn't celebrate with teammates and coaches after winning.

What I am saying is thank the opponents first before going off celebrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Just an idea!

In case of uncontrolled outburst of joy whenever one wins,

this particular player should thank and congratulate the other player before the match starts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up A good 'sportsmanship' gesture after a match

Quote Originally Posted by pBmMalaysia View Post
    In case of uncontrolled outburst of joy whenever one wins,

this particular player should thank and congratulate the other player before the match starts
    If this is the case, then he would just pack his bag and go.

But it doesn't seem right. Why? Because the loser is expected to congratulate the winner after a match (as a good 'sportsmanship' gesture).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Always have a handshake with your opponents after the match

I was coaching some new trainees and gave them a game of Doubles to play at the end of the session. When the match was over, the losers didn't go to the net for handshakes with the winners.

I said to them: "Always have a handshake with your opponents after the match". They were puzzled and said is it necessary?

When I said: "If you have no opponents, you won't have a game to play, so say thanks to them for playing".

They thanked me for reminding them, and said that I am correct that we should never forget to give thanks for a game (whether they have won or lost).

I felt quite happy that they understood why we need to have the handshake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is such an important topic. I would think this is common sense? Hand shake and or tht..... Having said tht, hand shaking is not part of the Asian culture eg, the Japanese will bow. If you go meet a Taiwanese, Japanese or even some malaysians, the first thing they do is to hand over their name card. wht the top professional players do on tv will almost certainly be imitate by us sooner or later. some players will play against a regular opponents so many times on tour until they befriended each other but they still shake hand before a match. Tht to me is just a formality. It's essential to shake hands even in social matches. Just FYI, there are many golf clubs tht require new members to attend 1-day class in etiquette before full membership is given. At the end ofvthe day, it's not just good sportsmanship, it's just plain good manners. Everyone esp the experienced ones have the responsibility to educate the new comers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Let's say we are not talking about professional or international play or tournaments. But say, a local tournament, or just a friendly match with your neighbours or office guys. Stuff like that.

When we step on to the court, we generally shake hands or greet each other in a friendly manner. Then warm up. When everyone feels reasonably ready, we begin play.

At the end of the game, we slap hands or grin or remark some stuff in light-hearted fun, and change sides.

At the end of the match, we all move to the net where we exchange hand-slaps or shake hands, and without prompting, we all say something like "thanks," or "good game," or "hey, that was great" or some light-hearted banter. It just comes naturally. Even if one of the four is not in a good mood, he cannot help but join in and be friendly, because the spirit of friendliness just takes over!

But international, professional BWF play is different stuff, and we have to be mature enough to recognize it. There are many demands and requirements on a player; he has been trained to do many things; he needs to remember many things. And all of this happens in the heat of the moment, and at a time when he is experiencing the peak of his emotions just after the finals of a tournament. There are ceremony schedules to be followed, so many other people guiding them at that moment, so much.... confusion!

So A wins, and sparks off a celebration. There is a bit of nationalistic pride, and he runs for the flag, or goes to hug his coach. If it's a Thomas Cup game, he has to hug the whole team who run on to the court! But that's OK IMO, everyone is just expressing their joy.

Anyway, B who has just lost, is shaking the hands of the umpire and service judge and all that, and slows down to wait for A to finally run out of steam, but he cannot stay too long because it will look silly. (Shon Seung Mo at the OG2004 was an honourable exception IMO, he even smiled understandingly at Taufik and hugged him like an affectionate elder brother, and I doff my hat to him. It takes a very secure kind of man to do that.)

So then, B thinks, "I got to go now" and walks off. A sees him leaving, is caught now in two minds "should I run after him? should I let him go? how does it look?" but then he is still experiencing the adrenaline rush, and he thinks, "it's ok, we will catch up with one another in the locker room, away from all this noise!" Which is exactly what B was thinking as well.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world see this, add 2 + 2 and get the correct result:
    Anywhere between 658 and 12,915

My 713.5 cents...
    Astute observation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    I was coaching some new trainees and gave them a game of Doubles to play at the end of the session. When the match was over, the losers didn't go to the net for handshakes with the winners.

I said to them: "Always have a handshake with your opponents after the match". They were puzzled and said is it necessary?

When I said: "If you have no opponents, you won't have a game to play, so say thanks to them for playing".

They thanked me for reminding them, and said that I am correct that we should never forget to give thanks for a game (whether they have won or lost).

I felt quite happy that they understood why we need to have the handshake.
    Nothing would be better than this kind of sportmanship.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personnally I find that at the end of a professional tournament if the they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax. Why bother playing if your not that bothered and robotically walk over to your opponent and shake hands. Also because it's a final they have time on the podium/prize giving to thank opponent and show respect if he doesn't hang about to do it on court. If in other rounds just shake hands unless it is an epic game and the underdogs have came through in this case it is complimentary for them to celebrate so emotionally rather than shaking hand immedietaly. You are pretty morbid if you begrudge people celebrating imo.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    personnally I find that at the end of a professional tournament if the they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax. Why bother playing if your not that bothered and robotically walk over to your opponent and shake hands. Also because it's a final they have time on the podium/prize giving to thank opponent and show respect if he doesn't hang about to do it on court. If in other rounds just shake hands unless it is an epic game and the underdogs have came through in this case it is complimentary for them to celebrate so emotionally rather than shaking hand immedietaly. You are pretty morbid if you begrudge people celebrating imo.
    Very well said craigandy. Some common sense needs to prevail. How can you condemn someone who has won a huge tournament and lets out his/her emotions in the spur of the moment. I doubt the vanquished would be in any mood to shake hands then either.

In soccer/football these days, players shake hands before the start of a match so that at the end, if anything like wild celebrations happen, the loser is not left standing. The option is also available for the winner to approach the loser to shake hands.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, if I won a match in a BWF Ranking tournament, I would probably celebrate loudly, roll on the ground for a while, then shake hands, cause I'd be that happy!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanking others first is more important

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    personnally I find that at the end of a professional tournament if they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax. Why bother playing if your not that bothered and robotically walk over to your opponent and shake hands. Also because it's a final they have time on the podium/prize giving to thank opponent and show respect if he doesn't hang about to do it on court. If in other rounds just shake hands unless it is an epic game and the underdogs have came through in this case it is complimentary for them to celebrate so emotionally rather than shaking hand immedietaly. You are pretty morbid if you begrudge people celebrating imo.
    craigandy, so you are talking about professional tournament.

I can see your point about "if they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax".

However, I still think thanking others first is more important; and it should be in this order of priority;

1. Opponent(s).
    2. Umpire, Service judge and Lines judges.
    3. General spectators.
    4. Your supporters, coaches and teammates.

Your supporters, coaches and teammates could be always with you, but without the first 3 (above), there won't be a match/event to celebrate.

Besides, some of the first 3 (above) would like to celebrate with you too. Otherwise, they would just say - "Job done; Let's go home".
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-03-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast