User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there isn't an opponent, surely you win by default, which is the easier option surely...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    craigandy, so you are talking about professional tournament.

I can see your point about "if they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax".

However, I still think thanking others first is more important; and it should be in this order of priority;

1. Opponent(s).
    2. Umpire, Service judge and Lines judges.
    3. General spectators.
    4. Your supporters, coaches and teammates.

Your supporters, coaches and teammates could be always with you, but without the first 3 (above), there won't be a match/event to celebrate.

Besides, some of the first 3 (above) would like to celebrate with you too. Otherwise, they would just say - "Job done; Let's go home".
    Sorry just to clarify. If i was the loser it would not bother me and I am pretty sure most players on the circuit would understand. Your point about without the 3 you mentioned, there would be no match. Trust me the genuine celebration before handshake is good for the game, it creates a real moment that is shared with spectators/judges. These moments will bring more spectators and in turn players/judges.

Ask yourself what would you like most. your in the crowd its the olympic final it has been an epic game both player been cramping up throughout last few points a real battle-

1. the winner drops to his knees in tears the crowd going wild his coaches and countrymen come and cuddle him on the ground

or

2. the winner walks straight to the net shakes hands with opponent, claps his strings at the crowd and shakes the judges hands.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Sorry just to clarify. If i was the loser it would not bother me and I am pretty sure most players on the circuit would understand. Your point about without the 3 you mentioned, there would be no match. Trust me the genuine celebration before handshake is good for the game, it creates a real moment that is shared with spectators/judges. These moments will bring more spectators and in turn players/judges.

Ask yourself what would you like most. your in the crowd its the olympic final it has been an epic game both player been cramping up throughout last few points a real battle-

1. the winner drops to his knees in tears the crowd going wild his coaches and countrymen come and cuddle him on the ground

or

2. the winner walks straight to the net shakes hands with opponent, claps his strings at the crowd and shakes the judges hands.
    I would thank the first 3 first, namely;

1. Opponent(s).
    2. Umpire, Service judge and Lines judges.
    3. General spectators.

For myself, supporters, coaches and teammates, I would celebrate later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do they do in other racket sports? Eg, in tennis and squash? Badminton still has a lot to learn. In super series, players travel 000's of miles to compete, though I sympathise when one loses the match, there is no hurry to leave the court. If I must wait at the net for extra 5seconds, so what? The players should be forbidden to run to their coaches after winning a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    personnally I find that at the end of a professional tournament if the they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax. Why bother playing if your not that bothered and robotically walk over to your opponent and shake hands.
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but if someone behaves politely I don't think "they're not that bothered", I think "here is a strong person who has enough character to control their emotions". It's no good being a bad loser, and it's no good being a bad winner either. In most areas of life, the true greats don't celebrate their own greatness, they behave with humility.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes, etiquette is not difficult to understand.

As for the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony; Greece team always match out first, and the host country team always match out last.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but if someone behaves politely I don't think "they're not that bothered", I think "here is a strong person who has enough character to control their emotions". It's no good being a bad loser, and it's no good being a bad winner either. In most areas of life, the true greats don't celebrate their own greatness, they behave with humility.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, old fashioned. It is no longer a gentlemanly sport played amongst amatuers. It is a high octane professional sport with lots at stake. Being over run with emotions after you have given your all and dedicated your life to acheiving these wins is neither weak of character or a bad winner, it's just being genuine and is endearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.fusion View Post
    What do they do in other racket sports? Eg, in tennis and squash? Badminton still has a lot to learn. In super series, players travel 000's of miles to compete, though I sympathise when one loses the match, there is no hurry to leave the court. If I must wait at the net for extra 5seconds, so what? The players should be forbidden to run to their coaches after winning a match.
    I think tennis players are good athletes to look at for this. Whenever you see a tennis player win a big match or a tournament, there is an initial reaction to the victory where they often fall to their knees, flat on their back, or jump up and down like crazy. This probably lasts 5-10 seconds, then they immediately run to the net to shake hands with their opponent, who waits for them at the net. Then the celebrations often continue after the handshakes, whilst the loser is free to leave the court or keep him/herself to him/herself.

To me, this is the perfect way to end a match, both from the winner and the loser.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question There is a $100 fine for those who don't

Today, I found this post;

Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    Sorry to bring up this old topic, but there is a new regulation set in place regarding shaking your opponents' hands after the match.

Players must thank their opponents and Umpire before leaving the field of play to celebrate with their Coach or the crowd etc’.

There is a $100 fine for those who don't.
    I wonder if many players know about this fine.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Lets Make badminton as boring as possible and issue $100 fines for celebrations" stated the Bwf. What a bunch of idiots. Why don't they just stop it being competitive altogether and scrap the scores. Players can go on court shake hands hit the shuttle around a bit shaking hands in between every rally then they can give presents and do a dance of respect at the end of a 30 minute time period.

Can somebody please remind me what is disrespectful about running into the arms of the people who train you after you have a titanic victory, celebrating naturaly then coming back to shake hands with opponent, officials ???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Today, I found this post;

I wonder if many players know about this fine.
    This is an absolute joke, and is probably worse than the "all women must wear skirts rule" if you pull of abhor upset in a tournament, and your adrenaline tells you to go off and celebrate with your coach first then that is perfectly acceptable in my book.

After you've shaken hands with everyone, the moments gone, it's no longer a big deal, and just makes it boring if you can't celebrate at all...

What a joke, imagine winning the World Championship/All England/Olympics celebrating like a lunatic, cause that's what you do, and then getting fined? That's ridiculous. What if your coach runs on to celebrate with you? Still fined?

Absolute joke...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For $100, it's worth celebrating any way you like. In fact you should plan on getting your money's worth since you're going to do it.

Nothing beats a spur of the moment celebration.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    For $100, it's worth celebrating any way you like. In fact you should plan on getting your money's worth since you're going to do it.

Nothing beats a spur of the moment celebration.
    Exactly! might as well milk it for all it's worth, maybe run around dive into the crowd, get a flag, hug your coaches/other random people in the arena. If its an automatic fine, once you start celebrating, there really is no need to shake hands with anyone...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I quite like this new rule . These post-match celebrations are getting more ridiculous every tournament. Taking the French Open for instance the way LYD and JJS celebrated was like they had just won the Olympics or something . I wouldn't even call it spontaneous any more even but acting lessons gone wrong hehe ...
    I mean they had already beaten Cai/Fu the week before and took the rubber at the French 21-11 ... hardly a 30-29 result you might have expected if you were watching the match backwards ...

For an Olympic or World title I wouldn't mind paying a $100 fine
    Last edited by demolidor; 01-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Actually I quite like this new rule . These post-match celebrations are getting more ridiculous every tournament. Taking the French Open for instance the way LYD and JJS celebrated was like they had just won the Olympics or something . I wouldn't even call it spontaneous any more even but acting lessons gone wrong hehe ...
    I mean they had already beaten Cai/Fu the week before and took the rubber at the French 21-11 ... hardly a 30-29 result you might have expected if you were watching the match backwards ...

For an Olympic or World title I wouldn't mind paying a $100 fine
    Yeah you're right they only beat the world number ones in a super series final something 99% of the badminton playing population will never achieve, must have been acting in their celebration..

You have to remember these guys are super competitive hence the reason they are at the top of worlds competitive badminton, it would be an understatement to say they enjoy winning.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is:

Is it better to thank your coach first before acknowledging that the match is over?

IMHO, it's the latter that should come first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    For $100, it's worth celebrating any way you like. In fact you should plan on getting your money's worth since you're going to do it.Nothing beats a spur of the moment celebration.
    ... and you can enjoy a few more seconds of tv coverage worldwide
    Last edited by pBmMalaysia; 01-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast