HOW DO YOU ATTACK A DRIVE?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LowBrain, Mar 18, 2001.

1. LowBrain

LowBrain Guest

Help! I am relatively new to this sport. Only played badminton for 6 mouths so my skill are still lacking in all departments. I need help with my singles games...I am playing this guy whose a great tennis/squash player and he plays badminton likewise. He drives a lot...In most badminton coaching book, the drive is a shoot usually reserve for doubles but I am really hard to deal with his drives...my question is:

HOW DO YOU ATTACK A DRIVE? from midcourt and from the rear court.

Do drive just back? Because that's what I have been trying to do but he always wins in the end.

2. Don

Don Regular Member

drive and drop... you can lift and make him smash back, but that's for a little more experienced player...

3. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    Hi LowBrain,

mostley I drive back, cause I've practised it much and in the end I win (yeah, I'm the best ;-)),.But I'm very confused if my opponent suddenly plays a short ball after some drives.Also I'm in trouble ,if he's playing a clear as I try to move foward (to attack), like in a double.I think it's a good solution for you to play a long and high or a short ball.If you play short ,he's forced to play upwards so he can't attack.Look where he's standing, try to play out of his reach,hehe,think you've already tried it..But if you always lose when you drive back, then don't do it.Another Tip:let you show how to play drive by someone who does it well and practise-don't tell this guy- don't try to drive back as long as you're sure you'll last.Just let him have a surprise and he won't know how to react!

from Germany

Master of drive

--olli

4. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    well i usually do one of two things: drive to the far back court or do a drop. they usually work. the drive to the far back would usually give a weakened return and in a drop shot they would either do a very weak hit just over the net OR do a high clear..

5. May

May Guest

U could continue driving until ur opponent is tired out, but that may not work.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I see some interesting suggestions...

Basically when you get into the drive situation, even in doubles your objective is to get your opponent to raise the shuttle for you so you can make the kill shot.

Your other alternative, in the middle of the drive rally, is to block the shot back, just over to the corner, so that it'll take your opponent off guard, thus getting him out of his/her rhythm.
    If you're skilled enough, fake a drive return, and in mid stroke do a hair pin drop as well, it will have the same effect taking your opponent out of their game.

What I usually do when the opponent is dead set on driving to the sides, I break the rhythm by getting to the shuttle sooner at the net, and poking it downwards, so as to cut off their angle.

Another thing I would try is to not drive return, but to use a "poke" and just push the shuttle past your opponent to the far corners.

You said you were still a beginner, my main suggestion for you would be not to give him the opportunity to drive it at you, and instead I suggest you practice hitting away from them. When you're skilled enough you will be able to drive the shuttle right back into their body so fast off their own shot, they can't recover.

If you're in the rear court, I don't think that it's really a drive anymore, as usually the shuttle would fly out of bounds.... :?
    Again just read my first tactic, as that is the basis for the drive rally, but usually in singles, you don't drive... your shots are the high clear, hair pin drop shot, and the half smash, if not a full smash, and you'd better darn well have some proper foot work or something remotely similar in order to conserve your energy in the game.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :cool: :p :? :X

7. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    Re: I see some interesting suggestions...

As for cos i like to play dropshot and net shot so i will fake a drive and do a net(pin or crosscourt). Try fake to drive a shot to his left court but uses crosscourt to his right cos this will made him run.HEHHEEH :>

8. LowBrain

LowBrain Guest

Thanks for the suggestions people!

I'll try to some drops and see how that goes.

9. Re: I see some interesting suggestions...

for me i juz drive, drive, and try to play the shuttle low so when he drive back again it will tilt upwards a little then u can smash it down very hard(to backhand better)

10. May

May Guest

This one usually works only if the other player isn't a defensive player.

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I mostly just drive back. Keep on driving until the other player gives up. Usually, it then all comes down to stamina

12. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I'll firstly observe whether my opponent stays back after he drives (to smash my next return) or moves forward (to attack a short return). If he likes to stay back, I'll block his drives down the sides almost all the time. If he tends to move forward, I'll do a quick flick over his head towards his backhand side.

13. May

May Guest

don't try this unless u think u have enough stamina.