Tight Quad after everytime I play Singles

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by JustinG, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hey, so it's not really an injury but after everytime I play singles, which is usually a 2 hour session, my Quad (Thigh muscle) gets really tight, and sore. I play every second or third day and I'm almost always fully recovered by the time I play again. Sometimes I have a "slight" limp after I play or the next day, it doesn't prevent me from walking, but jogging is out of the question.

Am I playing too hard/too often for my muscles to keep up? Or...am I simply out of shape and the tightness of my Quad is the result of that? I play in tournaments, and usually end up finishing in the B division. ( A,B,C,D divisions)

Thanks.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

The fact that you recover within a couple of days just means to me that you're working it hard. Strength training on your quads are probably in order. Lunges and squats will help as well as using the leg press at the gym.

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Good point druss. thanks again!

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I am not sure if this will help, but do try to maintain correct posture. Keeping your back as upright as possible (depending on the type of play of course) will take a lot of the excess stress off your quads, and distribute the tension over the legs as well as core. It will also help you with better balance and quicker all-round response.

Also, take the time to perform a proper set of stretches after you have finished your singles session. This in fact, should be mandatory, especially considering you do a 2-hour session. :)

5. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

stretch, warm up, and also do some workouts to strenghthen it. If it tires out easy then it means your thighs arent conditioned enough yet.

6. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I'll "up" my stretching regiment before and after my singles sessions, that should help greatly; also, I need to strengthen my quads so it sounds, but right now, it's way too tight/sore for any strengthening exercises. Maybe a nice bike right or walking will help with the tightness/soreness. thanks!

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This is what's coming back to bite you! :D :D :D
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nton-Singles?p=1621124&viewfull=1#post1621124

If you're a Goodlife member, you should be using the machines there to improve leg muscle tone and core muscles. You can use the recumbent and exercise bikes and the elliptical trainers to train your leg muscles, and the quad extension and leg curl machines to build strength and explosiveness.

I know this may sound a bit silly, but I would recommend that you stop playing for about 10 days while you focus on improving leg strength and recovery. In a 10 day period, you could do about 8 visits to the gym with 2 rest days in between. Are you taking any supplements for rebuilding and muscle recovery? You should, if you gym seriously/regularly and also play as much as you do.

8. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I like what you have to say Cobalt; I think it's a very interesting idea to take a rest from badminton for 10 days and focus on the
    those leg strengthing exercises. I am not taking supplements, I thought most supplements were just scams or did very little for you; in other
    words, not worth the money. Can you reccomend some supplements for me?

Thanks.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Any kind of intense workout always requires that you provide the necessary fuel and support for your body. Of course, there is no end to what you can do if your pockets are deep enough and your focus is on crafting your body for the express purpose of becoming a star badminton player! :D Realistically however, you need to increase your protein and nutrient intake, as well as provide the supplements that allow your body to respond best to the exercise you punish it with.

So: On days you work out, begin with a teaspoon of Glutamine when you wake up. This helps to top up the amino acids without tapping into your muscle reserves. Have a high-protein breakfast. Oats, eggs, lean breakfast meats. If you don't want to add more body fat, go easy on the carbs (no homefries :))

Just before you begin your workout, have a banana shake with whey protein; the important thing here is to ensure that you also have glutamine and creatine. I usually take 2 teaspoons of each, but I don't go for the whey protein myself because I take a large bowl of oats in milk for breakfast. Oats provide slow-release protein which more-or-less provides the pre-workout requirement. But that's just me. I also ensure that I take a multi-vitamin capsule or caplet with breakfast, the type that also includes the minerals and iron and stuff. You can get that any any GNC outlet.

Post workout, I take nuts (cashews, almonds) with some seeds (sunflower, pepitas) and at least one banana, all to replenish the protein and provide the energy to rebuild muscles etc. Milk is also a good idea, with a teaspoon of creatine. Combine milk and banana with the creatine for a nice shake... BTW, not heaped teaspoons...

Allmax is one of the best sources for creatine and glutamine, and their containers always have one measuring spoon... A 1kg box each of creatine and glutamine should easily last you 2-3 months, and they are available for around $35-40 each.

When we shower off after a workout, most people use hot or warm water. The real benefit is to use cold water to begin with and once your body "accepts" the cold water, then you can use warm/hot water.

I don't take milk or other protein at night, but that is also recommended. Some people may find milk a bit acidic, in which case some yogurt would do well.

You will also find a lot of whey protein boxes available at the health/fitness shops, but I find that natural foods are equally good if not better, in this case. Again, that's just me. :)

For days you play badminton, do not go to the gym. But I normally mix in the creatine and glutamine into my water bottle for the badminton session. And a banana an hour or so before I begin play.

Hope this helps. :)

10. shareholder

shareholder New Member

This same thing also happens to me, tight quads after a singles game...Supplements are just what they are - supplements;
    eat foods which are necessary for your body's repair of muscles like protein...Cobalt is correct that you must evenly distibute your tension in your quads and core muscles...
    Squat exercises are necessary for muscle strength but don't forget muscular endurance...no matter how strong your muscles will be but if it can't keep up with the continued movements, you'll tire out eventually...
    I jog, squat and skip rope and i 've experience the benefits- better movement and execution.

11. druss

druss Regular Member

In the end it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve. No offense to cobalt since he gives very good advice on what's required if you're really into training to that level but... if you're only playing socially and a little competition that level of diet/work out is not required. Great if you can do it but I personally have neither the time nor inclination to do so at the point of life I've achieved (full time job, 2 kids... etc.) so for me it would not suite my life style nor do I need it for the level of badminton I play now.

When I was in college though... I did play 20 hours a week and went to the gym at least 3 times a week for strengthening. All depends on how much you want to commit.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @druss :D I don't play competitive or anything either! But I need to make an extra effort to stay in decent physical shape, and I visit the gym whenever I can (which usually translates to about twice a week :() and whenever I do a stiff workout, I always especially ensure I take supplements on that day. I have discovered over time that this approach has very definite benefits in terms of maintaining muscle tone and reducing chances of muscle fatigue/injury.

13. druss

druss Regular Member

I'd love to have the time to work out properly but I just have trouble finding it with two small kids. Once they are a bit older and can go out on their own (to visit friends, school activities, sports... etc.) I'm sure I'll have more time. Hard enough to get out twice a week to play badminton as it is...

14. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

Listen to what cobalt said about the nutrients. Also remember to be taking in about 3500 calories per day if youre strengthening or training in any way. Protien shakes help :) I suggest if you go to a gym, you try leg presses(depending on your body weight you should be able to do at least 2-3x). Also leg plyometrics which you dont need a gym for... but since you dont like squats and lunges...lets just say they really help :D haha

15. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Possibly shows weakness in the hamstrings aswell, could be a muscle imbalance. If hams are weak, quads r doing more work. They shouldn't be sore after a session to be honest.

A good way to test this is get a friend or possibly a good sports massseur or physio and get them to test it. Lie on a bed face down, bend knee at 90 degrees and get a friend to resist the movement each way by putting hand on the lower leg and holding it in 1 spot while you move the leg 1 way first and the other way the next. Each way, he should have his hand so the movement is being resisted. You could find 1 will be lot easier which could be pushing your ankle away from you. If you find pushing your ankle towards u a lot harder or weaker than pushing away, your hams r def weak so they will need building up

Your problem could also be rectified by good stretching of the quads after your play and of course before you play. A good sports masseur massage and loosen the quads and also do met stretches with you which is stretches on the muscle with resistance and then when relaxation, the stretch gets put on when the client relaxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBKSOtyssM&feature=channel

#15 gingerphil79, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011