Singles technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by blackvans1234, Feb 16, 2011.

1. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

I play badminton once a week for two hours. It is at my college with 18 students, and 3 courts. This leaves me with much time thinking about every game I play and mistakes I make, as well as techniques.

When I'm playing against other novices (such as myself) it seems as though shot placement is much much more important than any sort of power.
    Since we are all novices, my question/ thought is, do you think that hitting the shuttle towards their backhand side most of the time will induce a weak return and then allow me to get the point?
    This is my logic because it seems as though they will have a hard time doing any sort of offensive shot from their backhand side

What do you think?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The backhand rear corner is a weakness for all players. At the novice level, it's a chronic weakness. Playing lifts and clears to your opponent's backhand is a simple tactic, but very effective.

At the front of the court, the backhand is not really any weaker than the forehand -- although many novices do find backhands more difficult. It depends on the player.

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Whilst generating power is important, consistently-good shot placement is vital, especially for singles.

Any player is only as good as their weakest shot/area. I agree with Gollum, for most players this is their backhand rearcourt.

Only other thing I'd add is that playing the same tactic too frequently diminishes its effectiveness. You'll need to play to one of the other corners once in a while to move your opponent away from their weak corner.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good advice.

Often players will start to cover the backhand rear corner and play around-the-head forehands (although not at the novice level). You can still exploit the backhand weakness here, by first playing shots to his forehand side. This opens up space on his backhand; on the next shot, playing to the backhand may be effective.

5. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

Thanks to you all for input/advice

rearcourt backhand shots and then forehand forecourt shots (making them run diagonally) seems as though it may be promising.

My class is tommorow, so I will try this tactic

6. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    hi there, i just want any advise regarding my playing style (esp.for single game).. i found out that i prefer to play rallies and deceptive shots rather than fast attacking shots... i think my playing style suits old scoring system (15 points)... any idea how to change my game? it's not easy to change playing style so fast... i have to train on my own and only able to play once a week for 3 hours...

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    switch your deception to speed and accuracy if you want to play rally points well. deception increases error percentage, rally points is all about finishing the game with as few errors as possible.

8. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    hi.. thanx for the guide... i will try to improve on my speed... any suggestion on the suitable training for speed n stamina? or do i have to change my racket to more stiffer and hard shaft ?