not sure what to call this shot - but i wish I had it

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by badders2006, Feb 17, 2011.

1. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

Underarm backhand "clear"??

surely you can't call it a lift?!

from 0:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p10aoMNiA

and yes the smash at the end of the video isn't bad either

but the late backhand shot is sooooooo useful, just wish I had the whip power to get it high and deep to the opponent's baseline...

2. visor

visor Regular Member

That's a shot of desperation, not something you plan on doing regularly, nor even practice.

But you have to have immaculate timing and technique and forearm power to do it.

3. badders2006

it's one thing getting length, but another getting both height and length.

it's difficult, but I'd much rather have this in my arsenal than some fancy trick shot.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Like Visor says, it's a desperation shot. Even if you don't lose the point on the very next shot (like in the video you posted), you're still unlikely to get back in a position to win it.
    I think badminton is like pretty much any other sport - the player/team that wins is usually the one that does the basics well, and doesn't make mistakes. Shots like this look impressive, but aren't all that useful.

6. badders2006

yes, it's a desperation shot, but it's still a shot you may well be FORCED to play, unlike trick shots or lin dan's exhibition shot above (he's clearly putting on a show in that match because he played that very shot twice in the match and he's basically standing at the net URGING his opponent to lift it over him so he can play his very own "desperation" shot)

you make it sound like that underarm backhand clear was a trick shot which they chose to hit?!! When surely it should be considered a very fundamental defensive shot! Yes it may look impressive, but that is not my point. That shot is USEFUL because it can get you out of a massive hole, and not some rare scenario, but a very common one where e.g your smash gets blocked deep cross court, over your partner who is stranded in the front court, and you suddenly find yourself rushing to retrieve the shuttle on your backhand. Don't pretend it hasn't happened to you!!!

So I don't understand why you guys dismiss it as "some trick shot which looks nice but isn't that useful". Why do you think we see this shot so often, even in professional level badminton?? It's either tap the shuttle back and hope it stays close enough to net so that the opponent can't kill it with ease, or hit a deep clear back to opponent's baseline. I'd like to have the choice of both options, wouldn't you?

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    It's not that common (not if your partner is awake), and you're probably already screwed by the time it does happen - that shot might keep you in the point for a couple more shots, but that's about it usually.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  9. badders2006

10. badders2006

So the partner covering front court in this video wasn't awake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p10aoMNiA

11. badders2006

Was Gao Ling not awake at 0:31?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t7BJ3K0KEc&feature=related

I would prefer not to label anyone at fault. If anything it's a risk that the smasher takes when he chooses to smash deep in his forehand corner.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yes, as Visor mentioned, you do require good technique and timing. IMO you also require very good muscle tone at the shoulder, specifically, the pectoralis minor. That is what will drive the explosive power.

I have seen many videos where Taufik also plays a similar shot without seeming to move at all, or with hardly any backswing of his hand. Again, technique and confidence is very important.

Finally, it is just a shot that falls under the category of "unplanned, reflex action" because you don't have much time for anything else :D

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Overhead should be preferred

In Badminton, given a chance to perform an Overhead or an Underarm stroke, the Overhead should be preferred.

Why? Because an Overhead shot is taken earlier, and therefore the shuttlecock is returned quicker and faster.

In Squash, most of the time the ball is not presented overhead for a player to hit; otherwise, we would see more Overhead Shots played in that sport. Same, in Tennis. :):):)

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

We're talking about the "back-to-front" (hitting with forehand side of racket) desperation underarm rearcourt backhand now, right?

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the shot. The problem is that players often start relying on these trick shots instead of learning a good backhand.

I have a particular junior who is very good at this sort of shot. Since he overuses it, he's never developed a good backhand or round-the-head and has a pronounced weakness in that corner. I did warn him at the start...

#14 Gollum, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you hit a smash in squash, the ball bounces right back up again (unless you get a nick). There's also no net. That might have something to do with it. ;)

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This is a nice shot to practice. It can be a last resort and catch your opponent napping. I did it once also. It's fun. ;)

17. badders2006

hi gollum

no, the shot which I was referring to in that quote is the whipping backhand underarm clear shown in the original vid i posted. I got the impression the first couple of posters dismissed it as "a trick shot which isn't that useful" - whereas I certainly do not consider it a trick shot!

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I certainly do not consider it a trick shot

I certainly agree that this backhand underarm stroke is not a trick shot. :):):)

I have seen some players doing the High Singles Service with this whipping backhand stroke. Quite a rare stroke to do because it requires much explosive power from arm, elbow and wrist (as compared with the common 'Backhand Flick Service' that requires almost no arm action and less elbow action).

#18 chris-ccc, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LSK trick shot is giving bruises on peoples body with his smashes.. lol. ;)

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely agree with you there. An underarm backhand clear is by no means a trick shot, and it's very useful if you can do it!